Bulgarian ref tossed under Bus

Discussion in 'Referee' started by jayhonk, Dec 4, 2012.

1. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Bulgarian ref suspended for a couple of normal (IMO) calls. Handling shout at :40, OS 'miss' at 1:26. Maybe that's handling maybe its not; if the AR gets the OS call 'right' he is amazing.

Bulgarian officials suspended after blunders
    Reuters – Thu, Nov 29, 2012 4:09 PM EST
    Referee Tasko Taskov and his assistants Tsvetan Trifonov and Valentin Dobrev have been stood down with immediate effect after BFU president Borislav Mihaylov personally demanded the sanction. "It is high time referees learnt to be responsible for their decisions, on and off the pitch," UEFA Executive Committee member Mihaylov said after an emergency meeting with refereeing commission chief Nikola Dzhuganski. Botev, who slumped to sixth place after the defeat, appealed against the refereeing, saying the officials influenced the outcome of the game. The twice Bulgarian champions said Taskov wrongly disallowed a goal scored by Botev striker Ivan Tsvetkov and failed to award a penalty when Ludogorets's Ivory Coast winger Franck Guela handled the ball in the penalty area. "I'm disappointed with the refereeing in the match, to say the least," said Dzhuganski, who is set to give a special news conference on Friday.

SOFIA, Dec 4 (Reuters)
    * No formal breach, BFU says
    * BFU suspends referee for six games and assistant for 15
    - The Bulgarian Football Union (BFU) has turned down an appeal from champions Ludogorets to have Wednesday's league match at Botev Plovdiv replayed over a refereeing row.
    "We cannot take such a decision because there is no formal breach," BFU sports and technical committee's chairman Marin Marinov told reporters on Tuesday. "Let us leave the referees alone to be able to do their work in peace."
    Ludogorets, who top the standings with 35 points from 14 games, claimed the match, which they won 1-0, should be replayed because it was overshadowed by controversial refereeing decisions. The Razgrad-based side, fiercely criticised by other clubs, fans and media over perceived favourable treatment from referees, said they hoped to dispel any doubt about the integrity of their results.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/soccer-bulgarian-officials-suspended-blunders-210925507--sow.html
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/soccer...-ludogorets-appeal-replay-162007648--sow.html

2. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can a referee be able to do their work in peace, have no formal breach, yet be suspended 6 and 15 games?

3. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Handling - looks like it to me.
    OS - With the replay, easy to see the goal should have been allowed. In real time, from the A/R's perspective with two attacking players already in an OS position, seeing the 3rd player come through and distinguishing between them would have been difficult.

But suspensions for these matters? Now that is silly.

4. aaronriley

aaronriley Member

Jul 9, 2011
    If this becomes a trend then how long before they have suspended so many referees that they can't cover games?

5. Kryten

Kryten Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Kansas City
    I'm not calling handling on that - in my opinion the ball deflected up and hit his hand. I don't think the player had a chance to get his arm out of the way. To suspend a referee for a judgment call like this cannot have a good long term effect on how games will be refereed.

dadman and chwmy repped this.
  6. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly what MLS fans call for all the time every time a missed call happens that hurts their team.

"why is there no accountability?!!11" :rolleyes:

7. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may not be deliberate, but I'd have a hard time convincing anyone that is a natural playing position for the arm to be in. Just my opinion. Agreed. The punishment is extremely harsh.

8. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Unnatural position is not a substitute for deliberate; it is a way of determining whether the action was deliberate.

9. Lucky Wilbury

Lucky Wilbury Member

Mar 19, 2012
    United States
    The first thought I had was how crazy the Bulgarian Federation administrators are. Suspending someone 15 games for missing that offside call is beyond crazy. The vast majority of professional ARs get that call right, but if you're not concentrating it's an easy miss for anyone. That handball could be debated (in a not-so-polite way based on recent history on the board...), so 6 games seems absurd.

I then thought of it from a match-fixing standpoint. What if the league and the referee chairman already has substantial circumstancial evidence implicating this R and AR? What if they have info on others and are using these guys to send a message that they are cleaning up their league? We as a referee community are able of being bought, as many instances around the world have shown us.

Maybe, just maybe, the Bulgarian Federation administrators are the only sane ones there.

Or...maybe they're the ones being bought...

exref repped this.
  10. aaronriley

aaronriley Member

Jul 9, 2011
    But, if it is match fixing, why not say that? Match fixing cannot be tolerated. If thats what these suspensions are for then, in my opinion, they arn't enough. "Suspensions" happen in every league for refs just rarely are they announced. Maybe a game or two off but I haven't heard of a ref being publicly suspended(IIRC there was a Mexican league ref publicly admonished for pulling the double yellow trick) for his calls in the game. Either way I think this is being handled poorly by the Bulgarian FA.

11. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way I'm giving a hand ball on that. To me, it doesn't matter if its in the area, at midfield, or on a break away, I'm going to my grave not blowing my whistle. Obviously they missed the offside, but equally obvious is that it is a really hard call to make.
    I doubt the problem is alledged match fixing. The problem is an own goal given up by a team that has political sway in the league, and the ref becomes the out. It is sad.
    If you want to fail the ref for a bad game, go for it. But suspending him for one call, which he got right to begin with, in order to give cover to a darling team, is absurd.

chwmy repped this.
  12. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
    I don't go for conspiracy theories but anything is possible.

And what if the last line of your post is the real reason? What if this referee team wouldn't throw the match?

Yes, there was a wrong call when the goal was disallowed for offside but that is no reason to suspend the referee crew for it.

There has to be something else going on here. Does anyone know anything about Bulgarian football?

13. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah: its a monstrosity of backwardsness and corruption, with no shortage of controversy and a history of players using physical force to get their way with refs turning a blind eye. They are constantly trying to get back to their glory days of the 90's. When Hristo Stoichkov leaves the country b/c he can't handle the attitude, then you have a glimmer into soccer there. Remember that in Stoichkov's Italian debut, he stomped on a ref, got 10 games, and was treated like a Bulgarian hero. Then he came to MLS and chased Rich Grady et. al. around for a while. Judging by the article above, not a lot has changed.

14. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they didn't just throw him under the bus - the laid the ref down, ran over him with the bus a couple of times, then took a "you-know-what" in his ref bag.

This one smacks of "follow the money"...

15. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Wait, nevermind. Delete!