"Build It Now!"

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by don gagliardi, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    you guys are awesome

2. DougO

DougO Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, that's me, front and center! I was wearing my blue Club Quake polo shirt, and a season ticket holder scarf.

3. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    sko16 is gonna be so pissed...

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    ...not taking a position, personally, BTW, just saying that it's a sensitive political subject at the moment. Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

5. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus Christ! No thanks. Zionism is Racism. Please keep Racism out of soccer.

[​IMG]

This was 1978? Weren't they suppose to stop stealing the Palestinian land then?

[​IMG]
    Stop? Hell they sped up!

[​IMG]

This picture makes it pretty clear the intentions the Israeli's have towards the Palestinians. Look at the wall. If it were here I'd probably have to go through multiple check points just to get to Buck Shaw and I'd have to stand in the long line. Is it really racism? We'll they do claim to be God's chosen ones - Palestinians, not so much.

I'll pass on the Zionist chants.

6. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mod Note: No more politics in this thread unless it's San Jose politics related to the stadium.

7. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Seriously guys, the reference was just for analogy. It isn't as if any team's supporters that have come up with new lyrics to the tune of "Johnny I hardly Knew Ye" are showing support for the anti-war movement. Its just a play on words.

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Here they are:

Dear SSV member --

As you are undoubtedly aware, a player strike has been averted and Opening Day for the San Jose Earthquakes is this Saturday evening, March 27 at 6 p.m. PDT against defending MLS champ Real Salt Lake at Buck Shaw Stadium.

SSV has made special plans for Opening Day as part of our continuing "Build It Now!" campaign for a new soccer stadium in San Jose. Every fan entering the stadium will receive from SSV (not the team) an 8.5x11 flyer emblazoned "Build It Now!" on one side and a picture of the proposed stadium on the other side. These are the same flyers we already distributed at the city council meeting last week — including one to owner Lew Wolff.

We are asking that every fan hold his or her flyer aloft when the players enter the field at the beginning of the game. (There will be fine-print instructions to this effect on the flyer itself.) Additionally, we have requested the Casbah and 1906 Ultras supporters groups to begin a chant, "Build It Now!" at the same time, which we are asking every fan in the stadium to join in.

Since not everyone who will be in the stadium is on our SSV email list, we are asking SSV members to assist by requesting that fans around them understand their role in this event. Please ask fellow fans in your section (1) to hold their flyer aloft when the players enter the field and (2) to join in the "Build It Now!" chant by the supporters.

Also, look for a large "Build It Now!" banner to be unfurled by the Ultras over their section when the players enter the field.

This is the fans' moment to send a respectful but powerful message to the Quakes' ownership that the fans are anxious to get our new stadium. The more participation we have from the fans, the more powerful the message will be. We hope to see the stadium awash in "Build It Now!" flyers and reverberating with the chant of "Build It Now!" There's no better way to tell ownership, and the players, that we want them here for the long haul.

It will only take a few moments; you won't have to move from your seat; and then you can enjoy the game.

Thanks in advance for your participation.

Yours in soccer,

SSV's board of directors

9. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think it is a nice strategy, and as you said it really sends a respectful but powerful message

10. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    A past employer committed millions before the ground was broken for sponsorship.

http://www.csus.edu/news/040606reccenter.stm

11. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any word on the brick campaign?

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    SSV has not forgotten its potential as a source of revenue to help build the stadium.

13. Brian Glennon

Brian Glennon Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PLEASE BE AWARE that the Earthquakes are planning another tribute to Gabbo Gavric before the game, which may or may not include a moment of silence.

The players will all be wearing black arm bands and if a moment of silence is asked for please respect it.

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm sure the moment-of-silence will not be occurring when the players take the field.

By the way, I know Ivan Gavric, have spoken to him since his father's passing, and as previously mentioned am supportive of the idea of fans raising funds to build a statue of Gabbo Gavric outside the new stadium -- a lasting tribute which will go beyond a mere "moment".

Before we can have a Gabbo statue outside the new stadium, we need to actually get the new stadium built. So, I hope before the moment of silence on Saturday, you will be joining other Quakes fans in chanting at full volume: "Build It Now!"

15. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Thank you.

16. Brian Glennon

Brian Glennon Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news, both Ivan and Igor have agreed to forgo another moment of silence, though they will both be at the game again. They are gentlemen beyond reproach!

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I must say, this NYRB Park is really something.....

[​IMG]

18. Rick Kane

Rick Kane Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Was Lew at the game last night? I didn't see him.

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely! [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

20. Brian Glennon

Brian Glennon Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Lew was there. It's too bad that when the players came on to the field, Lew was talking to someone and did not see the Ultra's "Build it now" banner.

It's also too bad that of the 10,000 "Build it now" fliers handed out at the stadium entrance only a few hundred were held aloft and I never heard anyone chanting "build it now".

It was a completely missed opportunity.

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

22. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JN01 is a really nice photo of Lew e.g., w/ small child & soccer ball :)

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I sat with Lew during the game. He's received the message.

By the way, Lew was as unhappy with the result as the rest of us fans.

24. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Good, thanks Don. The only good thing is that Lew therefore must have seen a sold out stadium and we'd hope realize that there is a market for a new stadium ASAP.

25. Brian Glennon

Brian Glennon Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Lew didn't see the 97% increase in NYRB attendance because of the new Red Bull Stadium, and if he can't grasp the concept of "If you build it, they will come" then he will never get, and it just cements my belief that all he really cares about is getting his damn baseball stadium built. At this point in time of the "new" Earthquakes we shouldn't have to be pointing anything out to our ownership.

I suspect Lew isn't going to believe anything we say anymore because he is still so stung by the fact that he didn't get 8-10 thousand season ticket sales as he was led to believe he would.