"Build It Now!"

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by don gagliardi, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Lew Wolff on Next Steps for San Jose Stadium (mlsinsiderblog):

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Begin? My impression is that they've been working on sponsorships for a while. I guess this is good news in a weird sort of way. If they've been working on it for a year or so and they haven't achieved what they've set out to do, that's a little worrisome. You start to wonder if it's achievable. If OTOH they are just now officially "beginning", then there's still some hope that it could possibly move along at a reasonable pace.

3. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    is the city willing to/going to spend any money to provide the necessary infrastructure improvements to the stadium area?

4. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    What exactly would need improving? The site is right near a highway, bus station, rail access, and even an airport. I'm not totally familiar with the plans nor the state of the local infrastructure, but I don't think there is too much that would be actually needed. Maybe wanted.

5. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I believe the surrounding area is slated for more private commercial development. Coleman Avenue is perhaps all that would fall under municipal responsibility, but it's in good shape and suitable for expected traffic.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed it is. And the local interchange with I-880 was already rebuilt recently to handle airport traffic that will never come, so there is no need for any improvements there. Also the local Caltrain station is was undergoing renovations already so nothing needs to be done there. The site itself was already wired and piped for heavy industrial so there shouldn't be much of anything needed to upgrade that other than the actual building on site which is the developers responsibility. Nope this is a 100% private project.

7. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Probably one of the the most positive/ best retort posts I've ever read on this board.

I tell people ALL the time that if you told me 35 years ago there'd be quite a few Americans playing soccer in other countries some day, let alone ENGLAND, I'd say say, "Yeah, RIGHT!".

Great post.

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps they have been waiting until they knew they could for sure build a stadium at that site before they went all out looking for a naming rights sponsor. With the passage of the DEIR and they rezoning of the site they no longer have that question mark hanging over the whole project.

And they can now also go past the stadium rendering stage and come up with actual design plans, and who knows, maybe they want to include a long term sponsor in the design process to maximize the promotion of their brand.

9. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    there is any news on the epicenter?

11. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I knew AEG would get Houston to get that stadium done quickly just as they said they would.

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've still got a pair of public votes ahead of them. And they're not lacking for opposition down there. But yeah great job on getting a quick stadium deal done in Houston AEG. Only took them what, 5 years to be behind us in getting a stadium done?

13. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Any time you've still got a vote on use of public money, you're not "close."

14. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no way to get from Caltrain to the FMC site without a 2 mile drive up and over De La Cruz.

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not yet, but there will be. They'll build either a bridge or run a bus/shuttle. To not do so would be absurd.

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would bet several pints of beer (good beer) that EQLLC have been talking to lots of sponsors, but that those discussions have all be sort of "IF we can get this together." Now that the die has been cast, these talks can proceed as actual business deals, and move out of the speculative realm.

EQLLC have been planning to build a pedestrian bridge from the CalTrain Station to the Stadium site all along. Be patient grasshopper!

Oh and @#$% Houston, AEG, MLS, and their associated minions of evil. I'd like to kick Don Gerber in the balls until his eyes bleed. Wanker! :mad: (Hmmmm. Maybe I could use that deep breathing and meditation stuff?)

GO QUAKES!! :D
    0-0-0 so far ...

- Mark

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that the die still hasn't been cast yet. :(

Unless ESLLC already has one or more stadium sponsors already signed on (which would be very unusual), said potential sponsors will no doubt want to see The Epicenter either already built or being built before signing on.

Basically, they'll likely want to see something concrete (both literally and figuratively) already there before committing money to it.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. Some sponsors do want to see something concrete like Rio Tinto did. However others like Cisco don't need something concrete to see. It all depends on who they can get to sign on. If they can find another Cisco we could have a naming sponsor before shovels hit the Earth and long before the building is done.

19. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Minimum 10% return on cost. Maybe 12%.

20. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    My point is that private $ is going to be tough to get.

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not nearly as hard as public money in California. When you think about it Wolff/Fisher/et al already have enough cash on hand to build it out of pocket. What they're really trying to do, and I cannot blame them for it as I'd do the same thing, they're trying to make sure they don't lose a lot of cash on this stadium deal. That's likely why they're moving forward with the permit/design phase while still looking for $$$.

22. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wolff and Fisher are billionaires. They can afford to build the stadium out of pocket. Happily, they are also very good at getting other people to invest in their schemes. I'm sure that they will find sufficient sponsors to build the stadium.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

23. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Yeah, here's hoping for a short wait for us to break ground.

Maybe we need a new chant for the supporters to show that we are stadium zionists. To steal a line from the traditional passover seder...

"Next year in the Epicenter!" (from "Next year in Jerusalem") or something like that. Something that will reiterate just how important the new stadium is to us.

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The supporters groups are way ahead of you. :)

But we need EVERYONE at Buck Shaw to join in the chant on opening day.

Be on the lookout for instructions from SSV in the next 24 hours or so.

25. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Given the current controversy over Israel's new development plans for East Jerusalem, I'm not sure it's a good time to mix the Jerusalem metaphors into another building project. :)