Bruce Running out of Time

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by brianasher, Sep 12, 2011.

1. brianasher

brianasher Member

Sep 22, 2005
    KY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read a report today that mentioned Bruce is on thin ice with Ellis Short right now. Obviously, the start of this season has been a complete disaster. A lot of good signings and depth moves, but then we lose Gyan on loan (apparently due to wages) which means we only have one legitimate striker with EPL experience, in the form of Nick B.

Additionally, the Colback and Richardson pairings on the left have been awful. Colback isn't producing and Richardson is very clearly, not a left back. The defense has been good overall though, not giving up many goals - but having nothing to offer going forward. Way too many back-passes and balls hoofed up the field with no intent of hitting an actual teammate. The midfield has been passable, at best, with no real determination or creativity. The team looks like they have no identity right now and no game plan to really attack and score some goals.

All these things, plus the fan's poor view of Bruce right now probably has him looking over his shoulder and fearing a call to the bosses office. I hope he can get it sorted out before he gets sacked, I like Bruce and I think his transfer dealings have been very thrifty, something we needed after Keano decided to put half of the Irish population on our payroll. However, he must bring some consistency to the squad or he'll get the boot before Christmas.

2. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunderland or Fernando Torres? Who's in worse form?
    Bruce will get it squared, he has to or its buckwheats :eek:
    I just hope he gets away from this 4-5-1. Ji on the left looked threatening when he came on, sort of the way Welbeck played last season.....I would play Bedtner and Wickham/Sess up front with Ji on the left, Sess/Gardner and Vaughan in the middle and Larrsson on the right......But more like a 4-3-3! Colback and Cattermole..........no thanks, unless for substitutions

3. UFF DA

UFF DA Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Club:
    Djurgardens IF
    After yesterday's match, I think Bruce's time must be running out pretty quickly.

4. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its odd..........Bruce and the players talkin about fans overreaction to the start of the season.......Do they know something the fans don't? I'd like to see what Bruces lineup will be with Bendtner out against arsenal......Wickham up front by himself :confused: :rolleyes:

5. UFF DA

UFF DA Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Club:
    Djurgardens IF
    This upcoming match against Arsenal is going to be one of the best opportunities for Bruce to prove the fans wrong, and get a good respectable win. Arsenal is a great club, like Sunderland, that just aren't performing well...and, of course, many blame the club's gaffer. They're also both very close as far as the standings are concerned. I'm very excited for next weekend!

I personally predict the next match will be a close one. I also predict a Sunderland victory. Let's say: Sunderland - 2 vs. Arsenal - 1. :)

6. mrbleary

mrbleary New Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    The Arsenal game started off horrid but we showed some good promise. Decent win against Bolton, unlucky not to get something from Man Utd game in the end.

It's so frustrating cos we have a good squad really, it's just lacking that gel!

7. UFF DA

UFF DA Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Club:
    Djurgardens IF
    Well we saw this coming for a while now I'd say...

8. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this a good move? Is there somebody in particular (that's available) that you'd like to see take over?

9. UFF DA

UFF DA Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Club:
    Djurgardens IF
    Most fans seem to want Martin O'Neill.