Bronx close to scoring $400M soccer stadium for NYCFC

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by carnifex2005, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thats a pretty excellent article. Lots of good information and reasonable analysis.

I wonder what the power and leverage dynamic is? Because as it stands this deal looks like crap.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Do the bonds or future money actually get paid in any scenarios?

4. Matt Hall

Matt Hall Member+

Sep 26, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Personally I think it's somewhat disingenuous. I had to read this article twice before I pinned down that the about-to-go-bankrupt parking management company, not the Yankees or the Sheik, is getting the entire bailout. $200 million (not in PV terms) in forgiven rent going backward and forward is bad, but it sounds like the city was about to eat the whole thing regardless, and this way they might end up with some better land use in the portion that gets repurposed. Good deal/bad deal is a fun pastime of mine, but I'm no pro and this one sounds complicated, so I'll try not to second guess the city here.

And the connection to NYCFC is tenuous. It seems that the Yankees' co-ownership is the controlling factor, and they shouldn't get a subsidy on the new stadium (amount undisclosed since this article isn't about that) because they insisted on the parking spots originally. Well, that's an interesting idea for an article, but aside from the last sentence, a different article from what I read.

Complete speculation, but I think this possible agreement hints at the city's preferred source of subsidy to NYCFC - it would be pretty natural to extend them the rent exemption in this context.

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    This was my thought, but I didn't feel like fleshing it out past a question that looking back probably left a lot open without good context.

Unrelated: obviously the parking is a Yankees issue now, but was that requirement a MLB requirement more than a Yankees prerequisite in the past?

Matt Hall repped this.
  6. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I can't get over is the $35 parking fee--- where is the business sense? are they actually surprised that the parking garage bombed? 12, 15 maybe even 20 dollars would be reasonable. I would never pay 35 in this economy. That's just giving away your money when I could find parking blocks away or simply take the the subway to the game.

7. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 1976, there was a clause in the Cosmos' lease at Yankee Stadium that allowed the city or the Yankees to order a Cosmos game postponed in wet weather. Will NYCFC face a similar problem?

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  8. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    i remember as a little kid turning around just before getting to the washington bridge on the way to a cosmos game, because phil rizzuto doing the yankee game from california announced that the soccer game had been cancelled due to the wet field. :)
    good question about nycfc...

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the Yankees. They thought the most popular baseball team (and one of the worlds most popular teams) had the clout to gouge that much out of the locals. I mean look at what ticket prices have been in the New Yankee Stadium. They were wrong and found out even the 600 lb gorilla has limits with the parking garage failure and their attendance taking a nose dive. They were the first MLB team to suffer the same problem facing many NFL teams now too. They've found the upper limit fans (even die hards) are willing to pay (though to MLB's credit at least its just their most powerful team having this problem, not half the league like the NFL). That and it's not like a lot of the Yankees fans drive to games proportionally anyway. NY has always been a public transit town. And the ones that do drive are not going to shell out 35 bucks to park in an "official" garage when there are cheaper places a few blocks further away.

10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd imagine so. The Yankees won't want NYCFC tearing up their pristine field.

11. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the most recent article it seems the $200M figure comes from $50M in current taxes owed by the garage company and an exemption for future taxes totaling $150M. They will pay for the stadium and land themselves.

12. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    you have to remember that the entire business/financial plan around the new yankee stadium was put together about five minutes before the financial bubble blew up...

13. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    After driving around Manhattan years ago my thought process of this city is completely different. What a zoo more importantly they need all the public transit. Probably the only city I have been to who does need it.

14. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Every city needs public transit, grandpa.

Slim Pickins, SixKick, TopDogg and 6 others repped this.
  15. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    LOL. OMG, my eyes are watering. hhahah. Fun times here at BigSoccer.

16. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why deal with over expensive parking lots when theres much cheaper parking at a metro north station several miles north? drive to the station, ride to the stadium, and go back.

their astounding lack of pragmatism towards prices has been killing them of late.

they still could have caved a little... parking garage fees when that are that plentiful shouldn't be more expensive then some upper deck seats were.

they need a second venue regardless, if only to make sure theres no conflicts in october (the yankees will NOT tolerate soccer ditches in the playoffs) that might mean playing some games at the 17k columbia university stadium with a track around it, or worse... :eek: playing in New jersey!!!

the red bulls will graciously accept rent for a couple of games I'm sure.:sneaky:

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah they need to finalize their own venue ASAP. They're already stuck in Yankee Stadium for at least a couple of seasons. That could quickly balloon to 6 years or more (as Quakes fans very well know) and unlike the Quakes who are at least stuck in a soccer stadium where they share with only other soccer tenants, the Yankees won't be quite so accommodating. Baseball players hate it when other sports foul up their fields as I've seen time and again in Oakland and San Diego. And those were small market teams where the players are often just happy to be in the league. You can bet the top dog Yankees will be even more vociferous in their objections particularly the longer NYCFC is there.

18. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    columbia stadium it is then, they'll be playing plenty of games at YS over the years that much is certain (especially the red bulls/ City FC games) but if the yanks will be as distraught as you say they might as well not make it their regular venue.

this is the only place actually IN the city (that the goal right?) that seems remotely suitable... and even then I'm uncertain of how well a regulation soccer pitch can fit in there (or if MLS would allow that to begin with).

[​IMG]

we'll find out in 6 months time I'm sure. So many things about this franchise thats yet to develop... they along with my own team, potential expansion teams and Chivas struggles somehow have most of my attention lately.

19. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh please make it so.

20. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Whose official name is ironically "Robert K. Kraft Field at Lawrence A. Wien Stadium at Baker Athletics Complex". Talk about a long winded name and yes it is that Robert Kraft:

21. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, its why I just called columbia stadium. ;)

22. MobileSoccerFan

May 14, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  23. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    #124 ielag, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  24. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-site-were-working-city-looking-several-sites

After all, the New York City FC and Manchester City FC CEO (above) has spent plenty of time in the city over the past year searching for a permanent home for the league’s 20th franchise, which has already said it will spend its debut year in 2015 in a temporary venue.

Oh, don't the New York Yankee's own 25% of the team, so I'm sure it will be fine.