Bronx close to scoring $400M soccer stadium for NYCFC

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by carnifex2005, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    To defend Levine a little bit, nobody would have predicted how personally Wilpon would take it when his deal for a soccer team in Queens fell apart. I've read the rumors on what the Mets wanted from NYCFC to use their parking lot (all the revenues plus a seven-figure fee for the privilege, even though they don't technically own the lot) and my eyeballs just popped out. It's amazing how thoroughly they managed to flip from being a driving force behind a stadium deal to hosting the opposition for it without ever getting called out on it. But I figure it makes a huge difference whether the 800lb gorilla in your borough is pushing for your project rather than against it, as well as whether you're proposing to use a park or a parking lot. The money that's being asked for looks unseemly, but those considerations may wind up outweighing that, we'll see.

But "other infrastructure" is basically the parking lot for the PATH station, right? That's only tangentially related to the stadium in my book, given it's about a mile away, and not where they would expect to make the revenue back.

2. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    bobby convey? :D

3. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #78 zensum, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    Anyone who chooses to know knows I have a built-in RBNY bias. Not a well-wisher of this entire project including the stadium. I've probably been a little harsh on Levine but only a little. He has a reputation in this town beginning with his stint as Deputy Mayor under Giuliani back in the '90s.

I've been researching this Martin Edelman guy that BlueIntent enlightened us about. Big time NYC based real-estate lawyer for Mansour. Appears to be a Democrat with contributions to a variety of Democratic candidates. One of the founders of the Jackie Robinson Foundation (black Republican, lol). If this guy is not right next to Levine at the table Mansour would be well advised to get him there immediately. In fact if it wouldn't cause a rift with his junior partner the play is likely to put Edelman in charge moving forward.

Out-of-towners need to remember that agreement in principle on the financing just starts the process here. The community piece is always important and Levine can be a little harsh (kinder...gentler) at times. The safest position in this city is to be against these projects even with the acknowledged benefits of this one.

The Barclays Center was one of the great "achievements" in sporting history here, many still can't believe it happened (8 years later). More typical is MSG where the Dolan's put a billion dollars into a complete interior rebuild only to have the city recently tell them they have to move in 10 years. The Wilpons' history in Queens only reinforces the fact that even a seeming no-brainer can get derailed/delayed as competing big money interests face-off before the community even weighs in.

http://www.rudyveritas.com/rudy_veritas/2009/01/trusting-randy-levine.html

oknazevad and Father Ted repped this.
  4. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    This doesn't change your point, but the distance from RBA to the PATH station and the parking garage is a lot less than 1 mile. It's more like 1500 feet.

5. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Martin Edelman is very much an insider in all things NYCFC and MCFC, he have been involved from the start in this project, the main "trail" if you are interested is found with Mubadala Developments.

But I will not bore everyone with lists of cross ownerships and over-lapping boards of directors, just rest assured that the guys behind NYCFC are excellent executives..But then sports doesn´t really conform to business standards which is why they prefer to keep in the background.

fuzzx repped this.
  6. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I meant to edit that after looking it up. But yeah, it's not on site, it's really not a "stadium parking lot" at all. The stadium isn't projected to be even the main use of it.

7. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they saying NYCFC wants build on heritage park? Really?

9. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Not that I know about. I did a Ctrl-F on "park" to try and figure out in the actual article what the hell she was talking about in the headline. Closest I got was this:

Really?

upload_2013-12-30_18-56-3.png

I'll be damned if I can see the parkland on top of the parking garage that this stadium would supposedly destroy. I see a lot of parking with no parkland on top of it. . .

10. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the same Jackie Robinson Foundation that is building it's museum over by the Holland Tunnel , right? Even though Robinson famously quit baseball instead of being traded to the New York Giants.

That's a guy with the pulse of the people right there.

11. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

so glad I didn't click that link... see the track & field over at the top? theres a garage used for Yankee stadium under there. I think the moron that wrote the article mistook THAT space to be the area where the new stadium is being built instead of the triangular garage where its ACTUALLY built which is not parkland.

the area immediately north of it where the old YS was is however, but by all accounts thats not the space being taken so either this is sensationalist headlining meant to add clicks or poor researching on the part of the daily news.

redinthemorning and fuzzx repped this.
  12. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The article makes 3 main points.

The first that the YS parking deal was a total clusterfu*k (which it totally was) and that "buying off" the mistake by selling the land for redevelopment is an additional insult to the community.

I empathize with this point. There is very little parkland in this area, and putting further tax dollars towards the heritage of the destruction of such parkland would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

And yet, the previous mistake has already been made. There is no conceivable way that the parking garages will ever be reconverted to parkland, and the status quo is a disaster for all parties(except the Yankees, they get off scot free). So overall it's a net positive.

The second point is that the stadium will build on top of the track field.
    Unless they know something we have not heard anywhere else, this is false, and unjustly demonizes the project.

Third is that the project will demolish the locally owned 90+ year old GAL Manufacturing plant, which only recently had a large solar installation installed on the roof.

Too early to tell if this is problematic or not. Depends where they go. I'll reserve judgment, but I have to imagine they are savvy enough to ask for a reasonable payment and will be in great shape going forward.

Overall, the article provides a few reasonable objections but adds in falsehoods and non-issues to create pretty blatant hit piece on the project.

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately it's working. I mean this is Bloomberg's baby and he's out of office in less than a day. And thus far it remains stalled.

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Flushing Corona Park was Bloomberg's baby. The moment that fell through, there was already almost nothing Bloomberg could do.

15. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Stalled is the wrong word I think. The initial agreement asks for indirect public support and the speculation is that the new administration is balking.

That makes total sense and I see no reason why further negotiations can't lead to a successful plan.

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    In fact, if it were actually stalled, you wouldn't be seeing op-eds opposing it.

17. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    As I mentioned earlier, It´s hardly necessary for NYCFC to get any tax-breaks as the proposed stadium would cost less than half of what Sheikh Mansour paid for his new Yacht last year.. What is necessary is to get permission to build the stadium in the first place!
    I can imagine a scenario where De Blasio tells the media that if NYCFC want a stadium they pay for it themselves, and NYCFC answers..OK, when can we start? :sneaky:

redinthemorning, manoa and fuzzx repped this.
  18. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Almost all US sports team owners in the big 3 sports can afford to build a new stadium with their own money. They rarely do.

harrylee773 repped this.
  19. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    But that´s just blackmail, NYCFC have no intention of playing anywhere else so we can hardly play that card :coffee:

20. manoa

manoa Member

Aug 16, 2005
    there are palm trees
    Exactly. The stadium issue is yet another illustration of why NYC is just a completely different animal than anywhere else, and why, on some level, the mere existence of NYCFC challenges so many of the league's prevailing standards of how they go about doing business.

Garber, et al, have created a team and made it clear that a stadium in the Five Boroughs is the only acceptable option. They have no leverage here. Combine that with the unimaginable wealth of the owner, and a brand new mayor who is already something of a liberal icon, your post previous to this sounds like a more-likely-than-not scenario.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  21. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    My impression is that the current proposal was more or less masterminded by Howard Wolfson and Randy Levine to A) Give De Blasio an opportunity to show his "anti-bigmoney" credentials
    B) Make it harder for him to actually say no to a stadium, which is a very real threat

It´s so awkward if you state that "You pay for it yourself" and then refuse them permission to do so.. :sneaky:

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  22. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    The situation here is that NYCFC appears to want to be compensated for the fact that they're bailing the parking lot out.

Sandon Mibut and Billy Zabka repped this.
  23. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Last word is that with De Blasio in office informal talks on the subject is about to start, as for new brooms etc everyone have noticed that De Blasio did keep Kyle Kimball as head of EDC which indicates that things will pretty much be business as usual in NYC.

fuzzx repped this.
  24. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzalez: Yankees soccer stadium deal a $200M sheikdown
    New York Daily News

25. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    obscene that with 2 multi-millionaire owners like the yankees and the sheikh they still deem it somehow necessary to ask for public subsidies. The whole project should be privately financed.

Dirt McGirt repped this.