Bronx close to scoring $400M soccer stadium for NYCFC

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by carnifex2005, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    According to recent reports, the 153rd St Parking lot is included in the property.

It's the one just South of the onramp.

If so, I expect them to shift the onramp over next to the rail tracks and get that much more space for the stadium.

2. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I hope he does. With Mansour's means he doesnt need any financial assistance from anyone to get this built other then being greedy for the sake of being greedy.

Q*bert Jones III, BrodieQPR and fuzzx repped this.
  3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AEG sent Mansour the "How to Kit" on getting a stadium built in a major North American urban center all the while being more financially stable than most governments on our planet.

4. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    i've been told houston doesn't have a zoning code. is that so?

5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct.
    Anyone can build anywhere.
    For example, there are school districts that have multi-million dollar homes and a block away there will be houses for sale for a buck. Or some new apartment complex that just went up.
    The only zone that has codes is downtown which added to the complexity of getting so many city folks on board when Luck pushed for our downtown Stadium destination.

6. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #56 Revolt, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
    Houston does not have zoning, but there are a number of regulations in place affecting lot size, parking, etc. In addition, covenants and deed restrictions are common.

(Second comment deleted at request to avoid future headaches. --KC)

7. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    No code? I can't even have a doghouse. Damn commie bastards.

joehooligan0303 repped this.
  8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    fuzzx repped this.
  9. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You misunderstand. Zoning refers to what uses can occur on a certain parcel of land. Municipal bylaws of all kinds still exist.

In any case, there's a substantial ratio of HOA's and private communities, like much of the US. They have as many rules as anyone.

10. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    So I still cant have a doghouse?

Boloni86 and doppelganger repped this.
  11. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    bronx parking development is bankrupt and this was a way for the bondholders to get something back.

12. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It is the ideal solution.

13. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    3 years is not ideal, but otherwise yeah. It cements the association with the Yankees(for good and for ill) and it cements the location for the team.

The transition should be effortless.

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps "as good as it gets" is more appropriate.

15. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fuzzx repped this.
  16. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I hope they delay construction for until 2017-2018. I want to see if NYCFC will have fans. The team seems to have everything but that right now.

17. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Why? They already spent $100 million.

Would they give up the venture if they get sub par attendance at Yankee? No way.

18. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was referring more to location and size/cost of the stadium.

fuzzx repped this.
  19. MobileSoccerFan

May 14, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Your hyperbolic remarks in the bold don't belie your truthful assertion in italics.

20. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that and players.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those 2 items might be connected. There seems to be a lot of people talking about them on FB and Twitter. But what is to talk about? This stadium deal and Kreis is the only news they generated since May.

MLS1FAN repped this.
  22. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The financial proposal for the stadium with or without tax-breaks are really just a bit of formalia.
    The money is insignificant but a chance for local politicians and the NYCFC/MCFC/NYY top executives to get together and hammer out details that demonstrate to either the voters or the multi-billionare owners in the background how well they do their job

The important point, the only important point is that it there will be a stadium in NYC with excellent public communications..IMHO of course

23. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I would not question the money. I would question whether the 28k seat stadium would fill up all the way after the novelty of NYCFC wears off.

The problem with a couple of soccer specific stadiums in the US is that people do not want to travel to the stadium for whatever reason.

24. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if they create an environment that's exciting and electric much in the way Toronto FC did when they entered the league in 2007, many of the fans should keep showing up to games. There are three important factors that has to be in place for this club to become a success and the environment is just one component here, the other two are a good quality product on the pitch and the last components is the management of that franchise itself (how they do things). The organization which is Manchester City is world class and they should do fine, I don't think they could even botch things up the way Toronto FC did in the last seven years. Speaking of Toronto, I think they are finally starting to turn that organization around and we should see some good things out of them in the years to come.

25. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Yeah, TFC finally hired a competent exec and things are starting to look and feel different quickly.

What i will ll say about NYFC is the following. I have been involved in high ened finanace/getting huge projects approved and had to deal with governments my whole life. When push comes to shove if NYFC really wants to do this it will get done. If they run the team competently, promote and splash cash on some big name players they will do fine.

NYRB was a neglected FN mess for more than a decade playing in that god forsaken stadium. The front offices were uneven to poor. Has there been an overnight transformation like KC? No, but there clearly has been a slow improvement on the field and in the stands. The supporters group is underrated and awesome. I always laughed when these moronic English announcers would mock Chelsea and Manc Citeh when they first got their sugar daddies and failed to rule the league immediately. Money can't buy u championships the morons would croon. Yes it can. Not immediately, but your team improves immediately and becomes a contender every year and eventually will win. There are so many Chelsea and now Citeh fans worldwide. A decade ago there where barely any outside of the clubs themselves. Not a surprise of course. Money does buy trophies, visibility and fans. Fact.

Much of the same applies here. If you throw enough money and resources at the situation eventually it will grow and the image will improve.....as long as you run it competently. Money buys a certain amount of succes and visibility. The average fan takes notice over time and hops on for the ride. The weight of the cash starts to wear folks down. Hell, that cash got the French PM to make Platini vote for Qatar. the way it is. Sure, MLS has that flexible cap so buying a cship is harder, but you can still buy all the other things which matter a lot here.

It may not happen overnight, but with big money, stadium and a competent ownership eventually it will be a big plus.

Just the way it is. In time it will happen. May take a decade but it will.

Sure, there will be a 100,000 net posts, arguments, conspiracies, hardcores/purits posting their tails off on the subject but experience has taught me that a certain level of success and acceptance is easily bought. Money and some time is all it takes. Odds are way in NYFC's favor over time.

Sure, we like the pursit approach and the organic ascendancy, but this is simply part of the equation also, whether someone likes it or not....and for the game to improve more quickly in the US very neccessary IMO.

dwsmith1972, deedsy and BlueIntent repped this.