"Bro, do you even Madridismo?" - A Historical, Cultural & Philosophical Primer of Real Madrid CF

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by macaluca, May 7, 2007.

1. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    Re: Legends of Real Madrid...video collection.

Best I can do is this compilation that has a few Manolo clips around the 1m 55s mark. I'll keep looking ;)
    [youtube]YOpDyr0sZbs[/youtube]

2. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
  3. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005

ATM is "cajero" or "cajero automatico" ... :D

4. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench

Everyone's a joker at the moment:p
    (well maybe not in the Barca forum admittedly.....;)

5. madridismo

madridismo Member+

Feb 28, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I suppose this is the right place to put this...

A couple of weeks ago they showed the 1964 ECC final on a local sports channel, Real Madrid v/s Benfica. Although we went on to lose that match, it was pretty special, seeing the likes of Di Stefano, Puskas, Santamaria and Gento in action.

You can really see how good these guys were when you watch the whole match. Santamaria was a ********ing beast in defence. He'd swallow Ronaldinho or Messi whole if he faced them. He was the most impressive player that day. Del Sol was pretty good too. Di Stefano was playing in a sort of playmakers' role, with Puskas ahead of him and Gento on the left :D . We lost that match because of a certain EUSEBIO :(

6. RobinhoFan

RobinhoFan New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    www.realmadridfin.ne
  7. nelydam

nelydam New Member

May 20, 2007
    Hi guys!
    I am sorry for disturbing your conversation, I am Nelly I live Spain altough I am mexican and I am doing an academic project on soccer fans in online communities. Do you mind answering a survey for me? it takes two minutes and it is in my blog, where you can see more about me.
    I dont talk a lot about soccer but I decided to narrow my research to sport marketing and certainly soccer is one of my favorites sports.
    Anyway hope you can help
    Nelly

http://soccerfansfriends.blogspot.com/

8. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Will you go out with me?

9. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    A commemorative plaque in honour of Ferenc Puskás was unveiled today on the house where he lived in Budapest. Puskás lived in the house in District 14 of Budapest between 1954 and 1956.
    [​IMG]

10. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    Hugo Sánchez Márquez
    REAL MADRID 1985-92
    [​IMG]

There are many words you could use to describe Hugo Sanchéz…outspoken, flamboyant, arrogant, supreme talent, natural athlete, driven and determined, complex, passionate,intelligent…and such is the character of the man that all of them would be accurate. As a player he was brave, had vision, a sublime touch, gave 110% and played with passion…yet for me there is one word which best sums him up …GOALS.
    For not only did Hugol score goals in such numbers as to make himself a legend…there was the sheer range of type of goal he scored…arriving late and unmarked in the area, sublime freekicks, powerful rockets, jinking runs and clinical finishes, bullet headers and of course acrobatic volleys and chilenas.
    And throughout his career, goals of breathtaking quality appeared with a regularity few footballers have ever matched…just watch the 38 goals in a season video at the beginning of this thread and count the number of goals that you would call ‘great finishes’…you are well into double figures. Former Madrid coach Leon Beenhakker summed it up best after one particularly spectacular goal…

I have spoken many times of my admiration for Hugol, but I am just a fan, not an obsessive nerd or stalker…so if there are any factual errors in this biog or an interpretation you disagree with, feel free to point it out, but remember, it’s a tribute to a legend, not a finals paper for a doctorate.;)

MEXICO
    Hugo Sanchéz Márquez was born in Mexico DF on July 11 1958. His father Hector was a semi-pro player and despite his humble origins Hugo had a happy childhood that quickly started to revolve around playing football on the streets and open spaces around his neighbourhood. A natural athlete and undoubtedly gifted, he soon found himself playing against and outshining kids 2 or 3 years his senior.
    At the age of 14 he was called to the national squad to prepare for the ’75 Pan-American games and the ’76 Olympics…where he competed at the same time as his sister Herlinda, a gymnast who taught him to do the back flip goal celebration that was to become his trade mark.
    Following the Olympics, Hugo went to university and studied dentistry and also joined the university representative team…a professional team UNAM…the Pumas.
    That season they won their first championship and within 2 years Hugo was the leagues top scorer.
    During his 5 years at his beloved Pumas, Hugo was twice top scorer in the league, the club won its first two championships and also won the CONCACAF Champions cup.
    During the off seasons in Mexico, Sanchez was also loaned out to San Diego Sockers, playing in the NASL and the 2 seasons he was there saw him averager almost a goal a game…. Oh and and Hugo also qualified as a dentist.!
    Hugo’s determination and dedication were evident throughout the years he spent in the national squad, as a 14 year old, getting up at six every morning, training until lunchtime and then completing his studies until 10 o’clock in the evening. This side of his character was also evident in him qualifying as a dentist while playing at a professional level.
    What was not yet apparent was how important his single mindedness was going to be during his first difficult years in Spain.

TO SPAIN

Hugo signed for Atletico Madrid in 1981, with little fanfare…another journeyman who had scored goals in Mexico but was not expected to do so in Spain. By his own admission the 23 year old Hugo found life in Spain difficult…he felt alone and homesick, suffered racial abuse and struggled to find his feet both in Spain and more acutely at Atleti.
    However despite his problems he gradually found his feet and with him Atleti did the same…his final season with Los Rojibancos saw him claim his first Pichichi as Atleti won the Copa del Rey, the Supercopa and finished second in the league.
    At the end of the season he made the journey across the city to the Bernabeu in a move that was to prove a landmark not only in his story, but in the stories of Real Madrid, La Liga and world football.

MADRIDISTAThe next five years brought almost unparalleled success for both Hugo and Madrid…his first season saw him retain his Pichichi title as Madrid also won La liga….It was a pattern repeated for the next two years as well…Hugol:pichichi…Madrid:champions.
    The 1988-89 season saw Baltazar break hugo’s sequence of 4 consecutive Pichichi’s, though his goals still helped the team record their fourth straight title.
    The temporary loss of his goalscoring title seemed to act as a the proverbial red rag to a bull, to Hugol and the following 89-90 season saw him score goals at a rate of over one per game…his season end tally of 38 goals equalled the Spanish league record set back in 1951 by Telmo Zarra and, not only regained Hugol his 5th pichichi title but won him the Golden Boot.
    Madrid too were once again crowned champions as La Quinta del Buitre (or La Quinta de los Machos as Hugol referred to it) won their fifth straight La Liga title.
    A UEFA cup was won in1986 as well as a Copa del Rey in 1989 and a couple of Supercopas to add to the league titles.
    Hugo’s scoring stats for these seasons make impressive reading. With 22 league goals in his first season followed by totals of, 34, 29,27,and 38 during the next 4 league campaigns.
    In total he scored 164 liga goals for Los Merengues in 207 games.
    The 1990-91 season saw Madrid slip to third in la Liga and it also marked a turning point in Hugo’s career…whereas previously he had not played fewer than 33 league games in a season, this year injuries limited him to 19 games (12 goals)….a reoccurrence of a muscle injury in April saw him miss nearly an entire year’s football with him not putting on the white shirt until January the following season.
    This 91-92 season was to be Hugo’s last at the Bernabeu and 8 games producing 2 goals seems a sad way for it to end. Frustrated by his injuries, Hugo’s renowned petulance (maybe not the right word, but I can’t come up with a better one) surfaced again and after several disciplinary incidents involving his refusal to join a squad, comments made to the press, fines and suspensions…Hugo and Madrid parted company for (almost) the last time on the May 7th 1992.

I say ‘almost’ because there was to be one last act to bring down the curtain on his time as a Madridista…May 27th 1997, 5 years after leaving the club and with their differences settled, Hugo Sanchez and Real Madrid parted company in a manner befitting both club and player…a game played against PSG…in honour of Hugol. A game which reunited La Quinta, and saw other greats pay homage to a remarkable player…Buyo, Chendo, Gordillo, Hierro, Milla and a host of names from Mexican football…and of course Hugol who said goodbye one last time in the only way he knew how…with a hat-trick of goals, The public turned out en masse to enjoy the football and relive some memories and Hugo was visibly affected by the emotion of the night
    On finishing these words he gave a final lap of honour to an enormous ovation and said goodbye to Madrid and life as a player.

However we have jumped ahead by discussing this final game …back in 1992, Hugo was departing the Bernabeu…

AFTER MADRID

After leaving Madrid…Hugo announced his agreement to join Club America back in Mexico…he stayed for only a season before his contract was ended by mutual agreement and this enabled him to complete a shock move back to Spain and more strangely back to Madrid, not real or Atleti this time but Rayo Vallecano.
    Rayo’s president, Jose mateos, despite opposition from his coach, saw Hugo as the ideal person to bring the crowds to his club…and the move certainly sparked a flurry of interest in the small working class club…as well as a flurry of goals…16 in 29 games, however his stay was overshadowed by arguments and politics and not surprisingly Hugo played his last competitive match in Spain at Oviedo in 1993 for Rayo…a game which saw him sent off in a sad end to his Spanish career.
    Short stays at Atlante, Dallas Burn and Atletico Celaya (along with Butragueño and Michel) followed before his retirement in April 1997…one month before that emotional goodbye in the Bernabeu.

INTERNATIONAL CAREER

Sanchéz’s international career, despite an average of a goal every other game, never quite exploded as spectacularly as his club career. Mexico’s failure to qualify for the ’82 and ’90 world cup finals were partly responsible for this failure to shine on the biggest stage and the politics that surround Hugo and his relationship with the Mexican Football Federation were also a contributory factor to his total of 1 goal in 8 world cup finals games…spread over 3 world cups. Perhaps it is this side to his career that has seen many downplay his status as one of the all time greats,
    COACHING CAREER

As a coach it was perhaps fitting that Sanchez should return to the club where it all began for him. In 2000 he was named coach of UNAM Pumas, and although he was sacked after a disappointing start to the winter championship, by 2001 he was back in charge of the University club.
    In 2004 Hugo ended a 13 year drought for the Pumas, winning back to back titles and during his tenure he also guided them to victory in the Trofeo Santiago Bernabeu…the only Latin American team to defeat Madrid in this annual curtain raiser to the Spanish season.
    A disappointing 2005 season saw him sacked again, but after a brief spell at Necaxa he was named coach of the Mexican national team in 2006. In succeeding the Argentinian Ricardo Lavolpe in this position he must have felt some satisfaction as the pair had carried out a very public slanging match during Lavolpe’s time as the national coach.
    Hugo had put himself forward for the job on many occasions and obviously gettingthe job means a lot to him, however he does have his eye on one coaching job above all others….
    Recently he has admitted his dream is to take Mexico to WC2010 and then come to coach in Spain with Real Madrid being at the centre of his ambitions.
    Coaching has obviously not diminished his ability to speak openly and honestly as he added that his ambition to coach in Spain did not extend to Barcelona for ‘ideological reasons’

CAREER STATS

60 Caps (29 goals):
    World Cup finals 1978, 1986, 1994
    UEFA Cup 1986
    Top Scorer Mexico 1979 1981
    Top Scorer Spain 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990
    662 league appearances (394 goals)
    234 La Liga Goals in 347 games
    Hugo’s goalscoring record at Madrid puts him up there with Di Stefano … 251 goals in 344 games in the white shirt (including friendlies)…207 goals in 283 official games, 164 la liga goals(207 games)…23 European goals in 39 games. However seven red cards in Madrid (and countless others elsewhere as player and coach)and several disciplinary issues in Spain and Mexico showed the other side to his character

1976-1979 Universidad Autonoma Ciudad de Mexico
    1979-1980 San Diego Sockers
    1979-1980 Universidad Autonoma Ciudad de Mexico
    1980-1981 San Diego Sockers
    1980-1981 Universidad Autonoma Ciudad de Mexico
    1981-1985 Atletico Madrid
    1985-1992 Real Madrid
    1992-1993 CF America Ciudad de Mexico
    1993-1994 Rayo Vallecano
    1994-1995 Atlante Ciudad de Mexico
    1995-1996 FC Linz (II. Division)
    1996-1997 Dallas Burn
    1996-1997 Club Atletico Celaya

Sánchez was the only Mexican who appreared in Pelé's 125 Top Living Football Players in March 2004. He is also listed as a playable character in videogame FIFA 2007 in the Classic XI team, alongside legends Franz Beckenbauer, Eric Cantona, Gheorghe Hagi and Zico.
    Hugo has been appointed by FIFA as "World Ambassador" by Unicef.

[​IMG]

El-CapitanoR7 repped this.
  11. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    ^ macaluca, that is a tremendous post, thank you so much for composing. I would rep but I have to spread... :)

12. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Great post maca.

Have to spread rep :(

13. LosMerengues89

Jan 1, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ^Same here...have to spread

14. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    ^ Thank you all...I will try and do some more soon and obviously if some of you fancy doing one(or more;) ) that would be brilliant as it's a bit time consuming for one (old) man.
    if you do want to do one, it might be an idea to pm me who you are doing, as it would be a bit heartbreaking if we did the same person at the same time.:eek: ;)
    Likewise, if two of you want to do the same person, I can let you know and you can change players or do it together.
    I really think it it would be good to get this database of profiles on the forum both as a tribute to the players and as an information source for fans.
    I hope some of you like the idea and get involved.

15. madridismo

madridismo Member+

Feb 28, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Bump! We can't let this thread die. I'd like to contribute to this after I get time. [Which will be soon enough :) ]

16. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Bump ^_^

17. Naughty by Nature

Naughty by Nature New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Earth: Europe : ??
    Your post count?

18. cybercraft

cybercraft New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Sing
    I must be going insane, or something wrong with my eyes. This pic reminds me of Luxa, of course if the hair is shorter.

19. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This video is created by a BS poster.

[youtube]6AmWLkcYL48[/youtube]

20. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Bah! No, the thread!

I still got awhile to go before the ol' + :(

21. judge10

judge10 New Member

May 12, 2005
    It's overrated.

22. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I am embarrassed that I am a Double +. I rank 105th for the most posts in BS. :(

23. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    [youtube]ad-x5g1MTd0[/youtube]

Ferenc Puskas (and other members of the Magical Magyars) interviewed by Gary Lineker

24. judge10

judge10 New Member

May 12, 2005
    OT:
    "... the Germans had reserves of energy on their side" - Gary Lineker.

An attendant on the day of the final said he found syringes in the drains of the West German dressing room. Puskas himself said he had been to the Germans before the game and saw them vomiting, and much of the German team fell ill of jaundice and other sicknesses for months after the game. - World Soccer, November 2006

25. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    1955 to 1960
    [youtube]3mX2XDZHDDc[/youtube]