Brian "Cobi" Span at Västerås SK (Sweden)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by iamalfred, Jun 11, 2011.

1. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Left and right wing, he played both today and have played both about equally as much overall. Some fans have wondered if he should be tried as forward since none of our attacking players are capable of winning headers and he also wouldn't have to play much defence then.

Hararea and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Thanks.

3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've also noted that Span makes it 4 American players in domestic cup finals in May

Span, Bradley, Altidore, Gerzicich.

I don't know if there has ever been a year with 4 Americans (all with different teams) in the finals of domestic cup matches before.

Sandon Mibut, INKRO, Gorky and 4 others repped this.
  4. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Span started the game and played 62 minutes before getting substituted when Djurgården suffered another tough loss today, 1-5 against Åtvidaberg. During the first 30 minutes when Djurgården was still in the game Span unfortunaly looked very weak, poorly timed and didn't succeed in most of his actions. After that when the team collapsed you barely noticed him on the pitch.

[​IMG]

After six games played our goalkeeper has a 43% save percentage, almost 20% worse then the second worst keeper..............

Testudo, INKRO and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well the whole team isn't playing well and I hope maybe they get some kind of spark or He start bossing the game around although he is still young player in the European world. He just got to keep at it.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    What they need is an American goalkeeper.

OWN(yewu)ED and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No joke.....surely theres someone interested in jumping the pond for a starting gig there. A guy like Saunders, Seitz, Bingham, maybe soon to be Pickens, one of the better league backups.

8. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Well, things have changed alot since the new manager came in. For the club in general it has been an extremely positive change since we now have three wins and two draws in the last five league games and went from dead last to 12th place in the table.

Unfortunaly for Span one of the first things the new manager did was stop giving any playing time to the two defensively weakest wingers, which are Span and Nahir Oyal. Neither have even been making the matchday squad lately. The new director of sports also pointed out Span as one of 3-4 players who need to start performing now if they are going to stay at the club. Other then that it's unclear what the future holds, I would have to assume that at least one out of the two benched wingers will be sent out on loan. But that's just me guessing.

9. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well let's hope it pushes him to improve and make the team once again. He's just got to step it up.

10. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Any update on B.Span?

11. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played the last 15+ minutes of Djurgården 2-0 loss to Mjallby which is a good sign since he hadn't seen any minutes in the last 3 months. He wasn't even making the bench the past two months.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Yeah, probably a good sign for Span. He didn't have much impact on the game but Djurgården couldn't really make much happen today in general so he wasn't alone. It was definitely the worst performance for the team overall since the new coach. With the transfer window opening tomorrow in Sweden it remains to be seen how that will affect Span. Personally I think that a loan might be a good idea, although if he's going to start getting more minutes now with the first team then maybe not.

13. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A step forward he should of gone to Netherlands... Let see what happens for him the next few weeks.

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I missed the queue of Dutch clubs hoping to get his signature when he was at UVA.

15. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It was joke at the time ppl were calling for many players going to the Dutch league ie Brek Shea and others.

How's it going for Span has he gotten more playing time and hopefully doing well?

16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You can just go to a country and start playing?

17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's up with Span? He hasn't even been making the bench recently? @iamalfred

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he seems like the last scandinavia US prospect case study now that Bedoya has jumped ship, if you dont count the second division types. I hope he can produce the goods. is this his second or third year over there? With the emergence of MLS competitive pay scale it is gonna be less and less

19. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #144 Tom Collingsworth, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    Spencer, Horvath, Gatt, Diskerud, Clark, Jensen in Norway and O'Brien, Ogunbiyi, Delaney in Denmark.

With Parkhurst and Davies no longer in Denmark and Bedoya, Cunningham leaving Sweden and Norway, it does seem like less in the region. In reality the ranks have nearly been replenished with Spencer and Horvath joining Molde and Ogunbiyi now with Viborg.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Yeah with MLS salaries rising we'll see less and less exports to Scandinavia. Maybe some guy from NASL or USL might head there but I doubt in 5 years we'll have any guys in the 2nd/3rd divisions of Sweden or Norway

21. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    We signed a new starting right winger during the summer transfer window and Manchester City winger Godsway Donyoh has made some progress on the left wing so Span is third choice right now in both positions and therefor not making the bench that often. Speaking of the Manchester City loan btw, the club had a delegation on location for yesterdays game to watch him and part of that group was american Claudio Reyna who I believe now work for them, but also Gregg Berhalter surprisingly.

[​IMG]

Sorry, a bit off topic but I guess at least for that game they were Yanks Abroad even if they were just attending the game :) Anyway, back to Span. Reports haven't been that great lately of his performances in the U21's either. I don't watch those games but according to those who do he's unfortunaly getting outshined there by our local teenagers coming up through the clubs youth system. So my guess at this point is that he will be leaving at the end of the year.

22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna works for NYC FC which is partially owned by Man City. I wonder if they're thinking of Berhalter as a coach...

23. DontJustStareAtIt

Jul 2, 2011
    He looks like he's got great tools, but is missing a huge deal of soccer education.

24. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Yeah, I agree with this. The individual parts like technique, crosses, speed and physique are all there when you look at them separately but they just haven't been able to come together to create good game performances. He's still relatively young though, so he still has some time to work on it wherever he will play next.

Scorpion26 repped this.
  25. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He might come play in the MLS maybe. Wonder which team would be ideal for him to play for? Well let see how things go for him.