Brian Ching USMNT vs. Dynamo -- [R] for US v Germany

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by TXMilan, Mar 7, 2006.

1. TXMilan

TXMilan Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you rather see Brian Ching as a member of the USMNT or have him for the entire season as a Dynamo?

2. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Brian Ching USMNT vs. Dynamo

Dynamo. We need him more. USMNT has enough forwards without Ching...and I think Johnson is a bit better/more consistent on that level than Ching.

Although it would be nice to have a Dynamo player on the WC squad - would give our club a bit more attention in the media, perhaps.

3. wrenmj

wrenmj New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Texas
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

agreed. better dynamo than riding the pines for bruce but we could use a little positive publicity as well.

4. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX

Brian is probaly not in the top two knockdown striker spots for the USMNT this World Cup.

Unless B.McBride and EJ get hurt, then he MIGHT go.

He needs to excel in the league and continue to play with the national team in friendlies and 2010 qualifying games to make a case for USMNT world cup 2010 team.

Though I would love to see him catch on fire these next 2.5 months and then push for inclusion to the team.

Good luck Chingy!

5. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow. I'm the only one for the USMNT.

Guess it's not surprising. I've seen Ching play for several years now and when he's healthy, he is very impressive. He was a great partner for Donovan.

Unlike the crowd over at the USMNT N&A forum, I've seen him first hand destroy MLS defenders enough to see he'd be valuable at the WC. Plus he's a great possession forward -- makes his midfield look like all-stars.

Good luck to Brian either way.

6. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Club vs. country, then. I'd have to go with USMNT - if he did well there (as opposed to doing well for Dynamo), then so much the better for us in Houston as well as the good ol' U.S. of A. [corporate lingo]A win-win paradigm of synergistic proportions... :D [/corporate lingo]

7. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Come on Houston fans. If Ching gets called up they'll do fine without him.SJ did last year when he was injured for half the season.So don't worry about them not playing well if he goes. You should be happy for him if he makes the team.

8. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. Given the choice between representing our country in the World Cup or playing in a few extra games in MLS, I would much rather Ching contribute to the US kicking ass in the World cup than playing in games that Houston is going to win anyway!

9. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. LordGhoti

LordGhoti New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Houston

Glad he is making the trip to Germany next week and I hope he plays well. It would be great for him to make the World Cup squad if he actually plays but, barring injury to someone ahead of him in the pecking order, I see Ching riding the pine if he gets a call from the Bruce. Better to stay in MLS if that is the case.

11. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

I think any forward that goes will get some playing time simply because of the schedule and inevitable injuries/suspensions.

I think McBride, Johnson, and Twellman will be the ones to go to Germany for the WC. If for some reason two of them can't play (after the roster is set) then Donovan or Beasley would play forward.

12. LordGhoti

LordGhoti New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Houston

I still think Wolff is going to make the roster before it is all said and done to give is us four "true" forwards (as you said, Beasley and Donovan can slot in up top in a pinch) on the final 23 man squad. Ching is probably going to need at least one injury to make the team (unless he starts the season on a tear).

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

oh sweet lord, i almost lost some chocolate milk out of my nose there

funny stuff, man

14. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Some references to Ching in today's column in the Chron about the upcoming Germany friendly:

15. TXMilan

TXMilan Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

After today's showing, this question is moot. We will all get to enjoy Brian with the Dynamo all summer long.

16. tmcdaniel

tmcdaniel New Member

Feb 26, 2006
    La Porte, Texas

LOL /agree Did he show up...

17. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Brian Ching USMNT vs. Dynamo [R]

We are so going to need an [R] in this threads title.

18. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

No issue with Ching anymore. You should enjoy having him all season by the looks of his last few performances for the USMNT.

He may get some time in the last few friendlies, but I think Twellman will get the call over Ching until McBride is back in the lineup. Twellman and EJ would be my guess up top for the next few friendlies this Spring.

19. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As the sun sinks slowly in the West, we bid farewell to Brian Ching's hopes for a spot with the USMNT in the World Cup.

When you get a start in a high profile game against a big name opponent and then promptly disappear completely, you'd better just hang it up. Keep the shirt as a souvenir, Brian. Could be your last one.

20. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They aren't done. One injury to TT or BMB and I think Ching is on the squad.

21. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    I'm not sure I'm in agreement that Ching is gone from the USMNT. I think he was more effective than Twellman. He had a shot, some passes, and they shouldn't have called that foul on him in the box. The defender was all over him and Ching had the strength to push him back. Arena may consider someone of his stature when we play the big defenders from Czech and Ghana.

I'm thinking he gets at least one more shot at it.

22. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you on this one, i actually though he did well in this game. The problem was that he got NO SERVICE in the game at all. When your playing with two d-mids in the middle and Klein on the right your not going to see a lot of the ball at forward.

23. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    No doubt. No Donovan, no Beasley, no Reyna...there isn't going to be too much feeding of the ball. You can't be much of a post player if you don't get the ball. EJ went back and got some balls, but he has the speed and skill for that. Ching to me is a replacement McBride, and what he lacks in skill and experience he can make up in speed and strength vs. McBride.