Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool: Jan. to May + 1st Half Grade

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Cody667, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they serve steak in the club cafeteria? Agger, Skrtel, and Coates look like vegans.

2. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Since this is the second half thread, I'll put this here.

Note about Henderson. He scored 4 league goals in 71 games for Sunderland. He now has his first 4 in 53 for Liverpool. Great sign as far as his progression is concerned, especially for a 22 year old midfielder who seems to be on his way to becoming one of those quality box-to-box midfielders that seem to be in very high demand but in so little supply.

The more I see him play the less I question his price tag.

owian, lotsogolazo and liverbird repped this.
  3. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a big fan of Hendo, but he needs to develop a little more of a mean streak. I hope Gerrard, Lucas, and Shelvey are kicking his ass in training.

liverbird, Cody667 and B.A. repped this.
  4. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Some one-on-one coaching in the Scouse playing style from Professor Carragher might also help young Hendo's development.

5. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    No cup distractions left plus a very favorable schedule the next few weeks: if we don't finish 6th, I won't consider this season as "progress".

6. aw072760

aw072760 Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed I want to see us get points out of every game here on out, preferably getting 7 from the Chelsea/Tottenham/Everton home games.

7. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had a huge treatise written and then got logged out so now just going with the grades

Offense: B+ and improving but the West Brom game brought back bad memories
    Midfield: A Best area of the pitch and love the trifecta of Stevie, Hendo, and Lucas
    Defense: C- Been worst area of the field how many points have they lost us.
    Tactics: A Been an area of strength like that Brendan has been flexible rather then dogmatic but still maintaining an emphasis on possession football.
    Leadership: A- Squad seems happy and has been able to bounce back from bad results. Press conferences could be stronger and will be.
    In-Game Decisions (Substitutions, Tactical Changes): A+ BR's strongest area so far, able to identify how to change a game and does. Doesn't just sit on the bench rubbing his face.

Fan Backing: A Living 6,000 miles from Anfield tough to know from sure but no calls from the Kop for the sack seems like we are all still onboard.
    Transfers: B- But with a chance to bring that grade up, and looks like he will.

Premiere League: B rough start but getting better
    League Cup: D 2 rounds earns a D
    Europa League: B Writing this after the Zenit exit. Might get rightly bashed for this but short of winning the whole thing this might be the best thing. No more thurs-sun matches and went out winning so no negative on confidence.

Overall: B+ I completely bought into this being a re-building year all I asked for was to beat our point total from last year, and to improve during the season. Both goals we are on course to meet.

EruditeHobo and Cody667 repped this.
  8. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Owian - post more. Great write up.

9. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is a very well-written and fair assessment. As Newterp said, please make yourself at home here on the boards!

10. Strikers20

Strikers20 Member

May 4, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Offense: B+. Suarez continues to be unstoppable at times. The combination with him and Sturridge up top is fun to watch. The only problem is that, with Borini's injury, we lack real options off the bench. Not sure if Sterling or Downing is the answer at the other forward position.

Midfield: B. I like the trio of Henderson, Lucas, and Gerrard. They are all starting to adapt to BR's style of play. People hate on Allen, but I think he will grow into a player that is useful to us.

Defense: D+. I hate doing this, because I have actually like the overall product that Johnson and Enrique have brought this season. However, the inconsistency and shocking errors by Agger, Skrtel, and/or Reina have been disappointing.

Tactics: B. Heading in the right direction, and when we are playing well we are a very fun team to watch. And successful, which is always nice.

Leadership: A. Really like how BR seems to manage the players, also like how he is honest with them. Not afraid to call out players in the media, but knows which ones and when not to call players out.

In-Game Decisions: B. Substitutions and tactical changes are good, with limited resources.

Fan Backing: B. Seems to be fairly good, though we know how a few bad results gets people talking/worrying about transfers, style of play, etc.

Transfers: B. Bringing in Coutinho and Sturridge seems to be good business. For me, both Allen and Borini are wait and see transfers. Wish Rodgers was able to get money for some of the players he set out on loan (Carroll namely, but also Wilson, Spearing, and maybe Pacheco).

EPL Performance: C. Not perturbed about our league positioning, but rather the results in the league.

League Cup Performance: D. Didn't expect us to win either of the two domestic cup competitions, but I also didn't expect us to lose out so early.

Europa League Performance: C. Meh.

Overall Grade: B-. Realistic about this being a rebuilding year. Seems to be going in the right direction, but I am skeptical to sing praises just yet.

11. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I haven't been too impressed with Allen and Borini but tbf most people wanted Downing and Hendo gone last year: the former has finally at least become a serviceable/useful player this season, while the latter finally looks like the promising player he was at S'land.

I'd give Allen and Borini one more year before passing a final judgment on them

12. Strikers20

Strikers20 Member

May 4, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's what I am saying. Especially Borini, unlucky with injury and all.

13. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeh Allen played well at the start of the season when he was in the Lucas role. I think a combination of Lucas back and exhaustion have caused the issues so I am still confident in him although he has been shocking for the last few months.

14. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks I will

MetroChile repped this.
  15. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Strikers20

Strikers20 Member

May 4, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Is that a rhetorical question?

Twenty26Six repped this.
  17. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Offense: B+. Suarez is having one of his best seasons and the addition of Sturridge makes the strikeforce extremely deadly. The emergence of Sterling & Downers uptick in form has been a godsend. Still have room to improve but the offense hasn't looked this good in years. And no more discussions on hitting goalposts.:sneaky:

Midfield: B. The midfield has stabilized since previous seasons and there is suddenly a lot of competition for spots. Hendo has almost become the player we always wanted him to be. However, Allen's become the player we didn't want him to be though he shined against Zenit. Lucas is still not where he should be but is he fit or is has he regressed, I don't know. Gerrard just rolls on.

Defense: D. Shambolic, really. One of worse defenses LFC have put forth in years. So many crazy defensive mistakes have killed us. Carra's return to the starting 11 has stabilized it a bit, but Agger, Coates & Skrtl are not the players they were last season. Neither has Pepe which is perhaps most concerning. Fix the defense and the points will flow. Disappointing that the offense comes around at the same time the defense goes pear-shaped.

Tactics: C. Much better recently, but there's been plenty of matches that called for aggressive tactics (Scum Utd) and BR fielded a mild-mannered one. Burned out Sterling before his 18th b-day and now he can't get a match. And his handling of Sahin was disappointing. But he's getting the best out of Downers & Hendo so that's saying summat.

Leadership: B+. Players & supporters have really bought into his coaching philosophy.

In-Game Decisions: B. Isn't scared to make the half-time substitution but why'd he get it wrong in the first place?

Fan Backing: B. A fans manager, maybe not as popular as the King but who can be?

Transfers: C+. Allen & Borini have both disappointed. Borini moreso as he hasn't looked like he belongs on the pitch at all. Allen started out well enough but couldn't make a tackle by December. Coutinho and Sturridge, who were purchased for less money than Allen & Borini, were great buys and have made immediate impact. Assaidi, who's he? Gets his 1st real match in Feb?

EPL Performance: C-. Don't see how WBA & Everton are above LFC when we've outspent them by tens of millions. Should be firmly lodged in 6th and challenging for 4th but as I write we're in 8th. Every time looks like they've turned a corner, they play a WBA or Villa (at Anfield, nonetheless) and get pasted. 4th place should not the be distant dream it has been. If we would've beaten Arsenal, we would've tied them on points but 8 pts now separate us.

League Cup Performance: C. The Oldham loss was shocking but many a LFC manager before BR has bowed out to a lower league club.

Europa League Performance: B+. Further than I ever expected. Almost took out Zenit by the narrowest of margins.

Overall Grade: C. Can't seem to beat the teams above us but has manhandled lower teams. If only he could channel Rafa!;) As somebody pointed out, he has the same points as Roy & Kenny at this point in the league. I expected more given the outlay of funds this summer and his glowing CV at Swansea. The defense has sunk to new lows which is concerning and suddenly we need a quality CB badly. Team is too much like Jekyl/Hyde to get anywhere. I understand these things take time but then I look at WBA and the job Clarke's doing and I wonder, do they really?

18. lcstriker11

lcstriker11 Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember if I posted this earlier, but I read last week that we've got 7 points more this season than last when looking at the corresponding fixtures. I think that's a decent marker of progress.

19. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember how excited I was this time last year, thought we would use the Carling cup to push on and create a launching pad for next season. We all remember how that didn't happen. Hoping we do this year get to the high 50's level and actually feel good going into next season.

20. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a grading, but a review on an old article.

http://www.lifesapitch.co.uk/opinions/dalglishs-muddled-tactics-have-confused-liverpool/

Now, obviously, BR is consumed mainly with giving Liverpool a style of play, so we have reversed our objectives and our results against specific opposition. However, I do believe it is easier to react to the opposition ( a la Mourinho) then it is to be proactive in creating a style and mentality. Thus, BR is doing the right things now and for the future.

The reason United have been so overwhelming in the league year after year is because they have their own identity and they identify strongly with it and believe in it. In a league, that works for you. Houllier and Benitez were more reactive and brought cup success, but we aren't looking for that anymore. We need the league and more than once before we all die.

poopoobigelow and EruditeHobo repped this.
  21. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It was never much a secret when Fergie took over Manure that he was copying Liverpools winning ways from the Glory years.
    He's still doing his adapted version of this while we...sadly lost it during Souness' reign.

Twenty26Six and ryered repped this.
  22. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I have always wondered why Souness is so scorned: what exactly did he do? Please forgive my ignorance: I know that generally his time as manager was rather poor but are there more details to that story/situation?

Thanks in advance for any info.

23. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Him ********ing up a 20 year legacy of winning could be forgiven but whoring his story to the sun couldn't. Pretty simple.

24. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For one, he bought some duds in the market and sold off some of the older players that weren't quite past their peak yet. (EX: Beardsley to Everton)

Second, the team took a dip in form that pushed it out of consistently challenging for the league.

After that, google "Loverpool" "the sun" "graeme souness."

usscouse and MetroChile repped this.
  25. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Twenty26Six repped this.