Brek Shea Liverpool Interest?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Myth or not the new contract he signed will drive the asking price up. That is if Shea eventually leaves. So if he get's mad at Dallas or the league it's really a majority of his own doing, his fault.

He needs to get out of Dallas though. That team is sucking the life out of him. He will not get any better in MLS. Shea has peaked in terms of what he can learn here, he needs better coaching and a tougher environment to push him. It's cringe worthy seeing him deployed as a lone striker.

Shea IMO is one of those player's that needs to be "pushed". A good manager for him would be one like Jozy's at AZ. Gertjan Verbeek. Someone to push him into good habits and demand work even in training. It gets to a point where you know you're going to start every game in MLS and like it or not these player's get complacent, maybe not intentionally but it happens. If he's still in MLS by the time the 2014 World Cup comes along then we have a problem.

I see him possibly leaving next yr, 2013.

2. jfalstaff

jfalstaff Member

May 3, 2012
    of course i'm aware that MLS is single entity.

i have strong opinions about MLS and they are all backed up by facts.

Bye.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    All of those were lowball bids that the league was correct in rejecting.

Charlton submitted a bid of 1.5 million for Dempsey. That was absurd. MLS waited until the next transfer window, and sold him for 4 million to Fulham. Celtic's bid for Shalrie Joseph was foolishness. (1 million). And on and on..........

People act like clubs around the world don't do the same thing. Just because a bid is submitted for one of your young players doesn't mean you have to roll over and let him leave. Do people think Boca's just going to accept the first bid for Sergio Araujo that comes along? No.........of course not. They're going to wait for the best price.

In Brek Shea's case the guy JUST signed a new contract with the club in May of 2011. Did he have to do that? No. Was somebody putting a gun to his head and demanding that he stay in the league? No. He could have let his contract expire & then walk over to Europe with his Norwegian passport. Now people are expressing some sort of misplaced outrage that MLS/FCD "might" reject a transfer request from Liverpool that hasn't actually been submitted! What the hell are we talking about?????? Why don't we wait for that to actually occur before having this discussion.

adi21 and nbarbour repped this.
  4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why are you surprised that Garber has to sign off on deals???
    Well...we're waiting.

[​IMG]

Tom Collingsworth and adi21 repped this.
  5. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.noshortcorners.com/2012/07/offside-flag.html

Seltzer on Shea rumors:

6. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder who advised Shea to sign that extension/new contract. No one is ever going to meet MLS's valuation of him.

stonejh127 repped this.
  7. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.bigdsoccer.com/2012/4/18/2957376/brek-shea-fc-dallas-designated-player-young-dp

I also wonder who advised him. This article says he would have been able to go for free in the winter. Lack of ambition on his part, especially if he could have earned the same money, plus play in a better league. So if we get to next year, after the season is over, or even NEXT MLS season and he wants to go... well he really can't complain if MLS inflates his price. He's the one who signed it.

8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said a club has to accept any bid, ever. All I pointed out were players who weren't happy when bids were rejected. I never said a club owes it to a player to accept the first, or any bid.

I also haven't said anything, ever, about being angry about Brek's extension, nor have I ever said anything about FCD or MLS possibly rejecting a big down the road. I have said Brek's extension probably has a somewhat affordable buyout, and that he and his agent were most likely upfront about wanting to move on at some point and both club and player will work together when that happens. I also on top of that said FCD's owner has come out publicly and stated he will not prevent a player from moving on if a fair deal comes along and that is what the player wants. and he's shown that with John. I'm actually not at all worried about FCD rejecting bids for Brek.

So......who is your anger directed at? It's in a reply to me, so I assume it's towards me, even though in the past few days I've posted a few posts which agree with all your concerns, and what you appear to be attacking me for has nothing to do with anything I've said or posted.

Please clarify.

9. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Considering Shea's form has dropped off enough that a big Euro contract isn't exactly looking likely anytime soon, I'd say getting a big fat raise from MLS may have been a good move for him.

10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, I don't have any outrage about this at all. And what makes you think I'm mad at MLS? Because I point out players who weren't happy bids were rejected, I'm outraged at MLS? Are you kidding? Don't put words in my mouth and fabricate exaggerations to fit your argument, please. The list was in response to a post stating players in MLS have had bids rejected. I listed a few more. Bids were rejected for those players and they weren't happy at the time. That doesn't mean MLS didn't have a right to do so, nor does it mean they didn't make the right business decision as some of those players were sold for quite a bit more the following window.

Don't take my words and fabricate an argument based on assumptions rather than what I said.

This is why it's tough to have conversations with a handful of MLS fans such as yourself, who take any perceived slight towards the league, twist the words, exaggerate them, and reply with a full blown attitude. There was nothing wrong with that list for the post I replied to. Now, if you fabricate a conversation, such as you did, and then tell me my list doesn't fit you fabricated conversation, then you have a point, but I don't generally involve myself in fabricated conversations within ones head. I never said MLS got a bad deal with the Clint or Kljestan transfers. I never said they made the wrong decision. All I said were those two were some of the players who had bids rejected and weren't happy. I never said anyone on that list was never sold. Is that clear enough?

Agudelo-
    Soler said the Red Bulls "have turned down repeated offers from Europe during the past two years for the 19 yr old".
    http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/05/17/agudelos-desire-more-playing-time-spurs-trade

Bunbury-
    Danish giants Brøndby have had a pair of overtures for Sporting Kansas City forward Teal Bunbury soundly rejected, MLSsoccer.com has learned.
    According to multiple sources, the 10-time SAS Liga champs initially requested the chance to invite the US international to Denmark for a four-day trial and were rebuffed. Unfazed, Brøndby then attempted to initiate talks of a loan-plus-buy-option deal, but Sporting again would hear none of it.
    There's more, but why should I spend time using google for you?

11. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Apparently you need to learn to read a tad better. Both the players you used as evidence, who turned down the requests? I bolded the answer to both but in case you don't see it, the TEAMS turned down the offers not the league.

FC ME repped this.
  12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, as soon as you show me where I said MLS rejected bids for those two. I said those two had bids rejected. I never differentiated between MLS and club.

13. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Shea is Eddie Gaven until he proves otherwise. That's not a compliment either.

14. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the hostility towards MLS for allegedly "discouraging" player transfers to foreign clubs is based on everyone thinking promising young players are always better served learning the "art" with better coaching overseas and frustration that MLS does not alway accept transfer offers from Europe. It's distinctly possible the lowball offers for MLS players which get rejected is typical of lowball offers overseas which are also rejected overseas.

15. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shea won't be going anywhere for quite some time, he shouldn't have signed that long contract now he has to deal with it.

16. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    well you're general point was that MLS sucks in the transfer market, then used examples of teams not accepting bids which is no different than any other league in the world. I just don't see how your examples prove anything other than teams doing what's in their best interest. Please elucidate.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This is the point people are making.

MLS and its clubs act no different than clubs in any league around the world.

Now, there are some clubs/leagues that have the sale of players as a major part of their business model. They need to sell players in order to continue operating. That's especially true of clubs in this hemisphere. They sell a couple of promising youngsters every year to make ends meet.

That's not MLS, and never will be. MLS doesn't need to be a selling league.

The case of Taylor Twellman was instructive. Why would an MLS club sell its best forward & one of its most marketable players to a mid-level Championship team.............if they don't need the money? Would the Revs have been more or less likely to win a trophy that year? When a team in the Premier League or Bundesliga comes along with a bid (in the cases or Ream, Cameron, etc.), the player is eventually sold. But a mid-table Championship club? Preston?

In all of these cases there's a group of people that side with the player. They say "Free Taylor Twellman!!!" Well.........the idiocy of that was that Taylor Twellman JUST signed a four year contract with the Revs in Feb of 2007. In Jan of 2008 Preston comes in with a bid, and Taylor's pissed that it wasn't accepted. Hey Taylor.........YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO SIGN THE 4-YEAR CONTRACT. You could have walked away like Stuart Holden did. Instead you signed the contract, and less than a year later you were bitching about how the club wouldn't sell you to frickin' Preston. Where's the disconnect here?

Brek Shea JUST signed a contract with FCD. He's by far their most marketable player. If somebody like Liverpool actually does come in with a bid, the player will probably get sold eventually......but only if the price is right.

adi21 repped this.
  18. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    I agree that it's Brek's fault if he's locked himself into a difficult situation, but I think that he's not ready for Europe. Yea, he's kind of in rut with a crappy team, but he hasn't shown me anything this whole year that makes me think that he wouldn't be benching at Liverpool(if that). When Dempsey left, you got the feeling that guy was determined to make it work no matter what. I don't get that feeling from a lot of our players that go over there, and I don't get that feeling from Brek. Just my honest opinion, I'd be more than happy if he proved me wrong.

LodiSoccerFan repped this.
  19. Frank Lomeli

Frank Lomeli New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    18 July

Zaha rumours are untrue but saints really are keen to sign 1 CB, 1 GK & 1 Right Winger

Brek Shea, Andreas Bjelland, Raheem Sterling, craig dawson & scott dann all on the shortlist
    Realistic or not, you know saints!.. in it to win it

20. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a link for that? I assume 'saints' are Southampton?

21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Provide a freakin link.

Not even sure where you got that. I just did a google search and here's the recent article on Brek that isn't from some crap source like bleacherreport. http://theshinguardian.com/2012/07/17/get-him-the-damn-ball-the-brek-shea-story/

And it kinda backs up what I've said for a few months now. FCD has not invested in even average talent to surround him, to the point he's now stuck at striker, starved of the ball, and even when on the LW he's relying on the arguably the least creative mid field in MLS to keep him involved. FCD not only doesn't know how to use him, but even when they do occasionally use him correctly the players he's combining with are so far below his level he can't even perform a simply 1-2 with them. He really needs a change of scenery. Would not look nearly as bad if he was on a team with mids who can pass and read the game, such as RSL, Sea or DCU.

BTW, an interesting quote from another article:
    "Finally, in 2010, Shea went to his agent. "I wanted to leave," he says. But the MLS owns all of its teams and has the last say on player transactions. Shea already had hundreds of thousands of dollars invested into him through residency and MLS salary. He couldn't sit. So instead, Shea says, Hyndman got a call from the commissioner. "The league told FC Dallas, 'You have to either play him, sell him or trade him," Shea says. "If I had never said anything, I would've never played." (Hyndmann deflects questions about the incident, saying simply that Shea was a good player.)"
    http://www.dallasobserver.com/2012-07-19/news/brek-shea-and-the-making-of-an-american-soccer-star/

So Brek did want to leave. Hope he gets out of MLS ASAP.

22. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS has some unique issues.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  23. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    But where does it say MLS forced Brek to sign an extension? It is weird for a commish to say to a club to play someone (no doubting that), but Garber was actually looking out for Shea's interests. Play him or trade him to another MLS club so we can have this youngsters skills showcased, or just try to sell him to Europe now.

If Brek didn't sign that extension, he would've been able to go on a Bosman this coming winter, and likely would've forced MLS's hand to sell him this past winter with one more year remaining on his contract.

24. WondoSoWonderful

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Shea looked very, very unhappy with the FCD coach after he got subbed off, they don't look like they get on all that well...

25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SH now has problems with multiple players, as he's had in the past. Combine that with him being one of worst tacticians in MLS, and a perfect representative of US soccer in the 90's, Brek is in a crappy situation until he forces his way out.