Brek Shea Liverpool Interest?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/es/news/article/2012/05/17/se-dice-en-europa-¿montero-y-shea-en-la-revolución-del-liverpool

thru google translator:

With Dirk Kuyt and Fabio Aurelio Reportedly leaving the team at the end of the season and the Fact That the club Presented Losses surpassing $ 80 million, Ruiz reports That Liverpool's American owners will be looking to sign MLS talent, With Seattle's Fredy Montero and Dallas' Brek Shea at the top of the list.
    Both Liverpool Has Been scouting players for a while and It Was Reported That
    manager Kenny Dalglish WAS ready to give the two MLSers a chance. However, With The Liverpool boss fired, it will be up to the new manager - which Could Be Rafa Benitez - decides if they'll stick to the plan to.
    The quiet season but Liverpool just closed has run a thousand revolutions internal machinery of the Anfield club for new players to return to the competitive nature of a squad that, beyond having won the Carling Cup, in February he assured a place in next season's UEFA Europa League, has been largely disappointed in all competitions in which she participated.
    The recent defeat in the final of the FA Cup against Chelsea was the straw that broke the camel's patience as both leaders of the Red hobby and perfect for viewing the screen reflected the need to wipe the slate clean.
    Left behind is an irregular campaign in the Premiership, where he finished far from the posts above (eighth) and has even been overtaken by arch-rivals Everton.
    The template, and so means the owner of the centennial entity Merseyside, United States Fenway Sports Group, must undergo a major facelift and executive director of the company, Ian Ayre, is working flat out to determine the number of players who must leave the famous Anfield dressing room to make way for the reinforcements.
    One of the priorities of the Reds, who have just dismiss his technical, the Scot Kenny Dalglish is to strengthen the bands, generating common danger in the red team, but in this exercise have not been up to circumstances.
    The Dutchman Kuyt will leave the club, almost certainly bound for Germany (Hamburg), as well as the Brazilian Fabio Aurelio, so that the club is combing the international market for players who can meet their needs without making a huge financial outlay since Liverpool coffers are not too buoyant.
    Just two weeks ago it was announced a deficit of $ 80 million largely caused by mismanagement of the former owners.
    Therefore, the MLS tops the list of objectives for interesting markets and bearable from a monetary standpoint, with the names of Fredy Montero and Brek Shea hovering at the top of the list of purchasing entity Anfield .
    Five-time European champion takes some time following them track through its network of collaborators in the United States and also the sacrificed Dalglish had the best references for both players.
    Not surprisingly, the former Celtic striker mythical and the Reds had given its approval to the Executive Director for his arrival, convinced that both the Colombian end as the multipurpose indoor Sounders FC Dallas are perfectly capable of assuming a role player in the Premiership and force Henderson and Downing, his current band men to work harder to retain his place in the coming year.
    The veteran Scottish coach had, in fact, luxury with a counselor as a professional league Yankee is concerned: his son Paul, who was player of the Houston Dynamo won the MLS Cup in 2006 and currently living in Texas, where he directs the Austin Aztex of the USL.
    It remains to be seen whether the new tenant of the Anfield bench-we talk about the return of Rafa Benitez gives the OK to Ayre to proceed with operations paths.

This could be interesting. I do think Brek needs to move on and much like Landon does not look like he wants to be in MLS. Liverpool has been interested in the past, but maybe it comes to fruition this summer/next winter. A change of scenery could do wonders for Brek, and would hopefully a pre-season wherever if he moves, if he moves.

Also, MLS soccer doesn't usually get involved in the rumor mill, so I'd think there might be something to this.

2. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Brek was good enough to even sit on the bench for Liverpool, I might believe it.

3. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if they're looking to bolster their reserve team.

4. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though I posted this rumor in the transfer thread a week or so ago, it just doesn't seem very plausible to me. However, it is the silly season and stranger things have happened.

5. divdev12

divdev12 Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a place like Blackburn might be a good fit. Get some Championship experience on club that has a lot of needs.

6. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shea is certainly not crying out for an EPL transfer given his recent form but I'm pretty sure he would be able to match the performance of recent Liverpool winger:
    [​IMG]

7. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol at Liverpool getting Shea and Montero. :laugh:

8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on current form, no he couldn't make the Liverpool bench. Based on form a year ago, he could make the Liverpool bench. At least imo. Liverpool isn't exactly stacked with great wingers. Actually, they're stacked with underperforming wings.

Something to keep in mind is clubs don't just look at current form and say oh well, dude now sucks, forget him. If they've been scouting a player for an extended period, as they have Brek, they are well aware of the talent, and might take a chance to cultivate it. They are also aware of how he fits with more skilled players (our NT) in comparison to his buddies at FCD who can't complete passes, and how in a system where the ball is kept on the floor and played centrally,with options(again, NT) in comparison to route one football with FCD, he looks considerably better.

9. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's had like 1 or 2 good games for the NT. If he was really that good Jurgen probably would've called him up for these games. Personally, I think he's just an overrated player who got on a hot streak last season. That's not to say he doesn't have some talent, but Liverpool seems well beyond his current level.

10. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yeah but so could this.....

[​IMG]

derek750 repped this.
  11. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    As a Liverpool fan I'd take Shea if he was cheap because he's promising and as has been previously mentioned we have no wingers except for Stewart Downing whos crap.

Montero-no.

12. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he's at least 1 or 2 years away from EPL minutes. It would be a speculative transfer at best.

13. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Of course.

14. schwefumbler

schwefumbler Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    UK tabloids now reporting Liverpool interested in AC Milan's Pato.

Winoman and derek750 repped this.
  15. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see a big 4 league team being interested in Shea, but not a higher tier team like Liverpool. I could see a middling to bottom of the table big 4 league team going after him for his potential, but as LB not as LM/LW. That's just me though, I think he has a lot more potential as a LB.

16. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    He is too one-dimensional to be an effective winger at a very high level but he posses qualities that would make him a great left back. Good speed, good combination play when going forward, improved first touch while trapping, and overall a good cross, decent on defense. An attacking wingback is what I see if nobody is going to place him at CB like what real madrid were going to do.

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Being tall and goofy looking in Liverpool doesn't go over to well. Ask Peter Crouch and Andy Carroll.

xbhaskarx and SoCalYid repped this.
  18. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats the thing though...you can be one dimensional in england!

19. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dribble, dribble, dribble, fake a cross, try to cut it inside, fall down. What team wouldn't want that?

20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are just showing your bias toward Shea here. Montero would be a much better buy than Shea,. He would probably come off the bench but he would be much more useful than Shea.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last season, Shea was playing great and was a year younger, so this rumor wouldn't have sounded crazy. But it sounds crazy now.
    At this point, Shea's play over that ~3 month stretch last year is very reminiscent of the ~2 month stretch Eddie Gaven had when he was 19 or so. I'm not sure Gaven has improved one iota since.

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liverpool is such in shambles and has underperformed so much in the last few seasons that they are no longer considered a top 4 side. In terms of history, fan support, and commercially there's no debating their stature. But purely based on football they are pretty mediocre. They have no style. They have no identity. The Liverpool right now, Shea could probably earn some minutes off the pine. It's not a squad that has "wow factor". It's more indicative of Liverpool's issues when I think Shea could play there. With that said, Shea is stuck in a rut. He's hit a plateu and until he changes clubs he'll continue to stand on that plateu. It's more of a product of being situational. Hyndman has probably gotten what he could out of Shea and visa versa. I pray something happens with Shea. The tools are there, but it may take a mechanic to get max use out of them.

derek750 repped this.
  23. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that he goes because he needs to get out of FC Dallas and i believe it's time for him to sink or swim. However, i am not optimistic about him swimming.

24. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's also been suffering from a serious turf toe problem for a while now. So much so that FCD sent him to a pedorthist to get fitted with special shoes.

Part of Brek's problem has also been that FCD has suffered so many injuries & suspensions (Loyd and John managed to get hurt last night to be added to that pack.....plus a Jackson red card) that opposing teams pretty much just need to focus all of their effort on Brek. And Blas Perez, but nobody seems capable of getting the ball to him anyway. Last year Brek caught some teams by surprise..........this year they're marking him out of the game.