Breezing through Qualifying!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, May 29, 2012.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Africa is hosting another tournament next year to determine their Confederations Cup representative.

2. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My general thoughts on qualifying are that it has always been difficult and takes intestinal fortitude and heroics that people outside the region do not understand because of the peculiar dynamics like crappy stadiums, terrible refs, hostile environments, etc. So newbies taking it for granted is annoying.

Having said all that, our region is crap. Absolutely craptastic, no denying it. We SHOULD dominate this region, along with Mexico and breeze through qualifying. I have absolutely no problem holding the USSF, our coaches and our players to that standard. We need to step up our game, not compare ourselves to our semi pros of the past imo.

I was frustrated with and called out Bradley and Arena when we played down to crappy concacaf opposition and I will hold JK to that same arbitrary standard.

3. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know...FIFA ranks our region third best in the world. They use regional rankings (based on World Cup results) in the FIFA rankings.

UEFA = 1
    CONMEBOL = 1
    CONCACAF = .88
    CAF = .86
    AFC = .86
    OFC = .85

4. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop with your reality based non-sense! Everyone knows that Concacaf sucks and that's that... ;)

blacksun repped this.
  5. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are four crappy regions and we are one of them. Thanks for the tip.

Churchdown Yank and orcrist repped this.
  6. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess my point is, everyone on these forums overestimates the US National Team and underestimates CONCACAF. Then, when we don't dominate our regional opponents, everyone panics. This happens over and over and it gets kind of annoying after a while.

DCUPedro and WrmBrnr repped this.
  7. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    This is an interesting issue. That region coefficient is used in the world rankings to determine the points earned in a match.

To me this is a system of loaded dice designed to keep the top 20 packed with European and South American teams. The Coke Ranking formula includes a coefficient for the strength of the opponent, which is 150 - the team's world ranking. Why then is it necessary to handicap teams further based on geography? What has mighty Malta or San Marino done to deserve a boost in the Fifa formula?

I wonder if it possible to see what the rankings would be if this coefficient were dumped. I expect Ivory Coast and Mexico would be a few spots higher.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well Panama won at Honduras, I think they will make the Hex.

Wow, the difference between Concacaf and the top 2 is 0.12 points, the difference to OFC is only 0.03; That is crazy.

Is Tahiti even a FIFA member? Or are they like Guadalup in Concacaf that play in the Gold Cup but is not a FIFA member.

Can Tahiti even go to the Confederations? I really do not know.

9. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Tahiti is a full fifa member I believe. If not they would not have been able to advance to the Confed Cup in 2013, no?

ceezmad repped this.
  10. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010

Yeah Tahiti is a FIFA member and will be at the confederations cup. They have already competed in the 2009 U20 World cup

ceezmad repped this.
  11. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Sort of.

The effect of the confederation weightings in FIFA's ranking formula, which are based on the results of the previous three World Cups, is twofold. The confederation weightings keep a team from fattening up its ranking too much solely within its weaker confederation, and the confederation weightings limit the transfer of ranking points between confederations outside of World Cups. If your confederation wants to have a lot of ranking points, it has to go earn them in the World Cup.

Now, there's a lot of FIFA meddling behind the scenes; FIFA quietly tweaked the formula after the 2010 World Cup to count draws as half-wins rather than non-wins, ensuring that UEFA would maintain its 1.0 weighting. This tweak ended up helping CONCACAF as well, raising its weighting from the minimum 0.85 to 0.88.

Also, the confederation weighting is averaged between both teams in a match-up, which really limits the transfer of ranking points between confederations. I can see some justification for doing this in events other than the World Cup, but in fact that limitation is in place during the World Cup itself, which is unjustifiable. Why was it worth less for the USA to defeat Algeria in the World Cup than it was for Slovenia to defeat Algeria in the World Cup, for example?

Hat-tip to Edgar:
    http://www.football-rankings.info/2011/08/confederation-weightings-one-answer.html

Edgar also points out that the confederation who suffers the greatest negative effect from confederation weightings is CAF, though Mexico and the USA also show up:
    http://www.football-rankings.info/2011/03/fifa-ranking-why-need-for-confederation.html

12. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I addressed that in the first part of my original post, which is I guess talking out of both sides of my mouth. My point was that I agree that qualifying is much harder than people who have not really watched it understand, but at the same time I don't think we should lower our expectations of our team. We should handle qualifying in convincing fashion imo.

13. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused:

14. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, despite Suriname and Guyana being in South America, they're part of the Caribbean Football Union. So grouping them with the "island nations" isn't completely irrational considering they qualify out of the same sub-region.

15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't think that there is such a thing as breezing through anything in soccer anymore. However, I believe we'll have less problems than before. It's basically, two giants against various regular countries. I'm just not feeling any pressure from Costa Rica and Honduras which would be the candidates that might threaten Mexico and the US. If anything the pressure is for those nations from lower ranking teams. Right now I feel that whenever the US or Mexico feel the need to set some distance they just walk up to the other countries and get the result they need even if they are visitors.

16. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, I know. Just trying to edumacate my fellow BSers. :)

17. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Third best is a deceptive way to look at this issue. The difference between third and last on this list is .03 points--hardly a massive difference, and likely within whatever margin of error applies so it's largely meaningless.

Also, in looking at this list I'm pretty skeptical that anyone in their right mind could think that OFC is basically on par with the other three confederations. Something's very wrong there.

Mr Martin repped this.
  18. Edgar

Edgar Member

OFC should be 0.72, but the minimum value for the weighting is 0.85. See this pdf on FIFA.com.

Craig P and Hattrix repped this.
  19. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is textbook goalpost moving...

20. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont get the hand wringing. we played better than guatamala.

they scored on a set piece. they shoot better than we do. doesnt surprise me.

but they only had two other shots on target that was really dangerous.

mostly due to cameron brainfarting on the corner.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Actually, drawing hostile away qualifiers & winning all of our home qualifiers..............is handling qualification in convincing fashion. We need to re-calibrate things. That gets you thru easily every time. Yes, yes, we'd all like to run thru a semi group undefeated.........but that just doesn't happen. We're not Holland. We're not good enough to do that.

We tend to think of draws like this one against Guate as points dropped for the US. They're really big-time points dropped for Guate.

We tend to see the negative side of these things, and think about "man if we'd won that match we'd be making it out of the group in a breeze." We never look to see what this draw has done to Guate. The pressure is now squarely on them. They've played their two biggest rivals for advancement, and have failed to win. They now must feel they HAVE to win home and away to A&B in their next two games. (not the cakewalk some thought). Because they do see a looming qualifier in the US on the horizon, and they have an abysmal recent record in the US. For them they probably feel that in order to qualify they HAVE to get 7 points in their next 3 games.................so the pressure's on.

orcrist repped this.
  22. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The handwringing is a permanent feature. Nothing will ever eliminate it. And yes, we're just fine.

In other Concacaf qualifying news, my sleeper to qualify, Panama, is looking solid to make the hex.

23. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    panama is very very good. they have quality players. they have replaced costa rica as the third best side.

24. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think a lot of people know that. I remember watching them play us a few years ago in Foxboro and they looked very dangerous. Young, but dangerous. Well they aren't young anymore, just dangerous.

With both Honduras and Costa Rica on the downswing this cycle, Panama has to be the prohibitive world favorite for most likely first time World Cup qualifier.

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honduran may not even make the Hex.