Alert: BREAKING: Mano Menezes fired, Felipão hired

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Nov 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    All the polls have him as the clear fan favorite. And if we believe Lance's reports, he's on the top of the CBF list. I think it's a lot more likely than you think.

2. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Opinions.. If it was Pep, then why don't they just announce its Pep.. since the two seems to be so infatuated with one another.. why wait till January, when he can get to work now on scouting or assembling his coaches or something.

Like someone said, I'm heavily leaning to Tite.. CBF waiting for him to finish his CWC campaign and then name him head coach.

samuel_clemens repped this.
  3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Guardiola left Barca because of stress, 8 months later he would coach Brazil 18 months before a WC ? Doesn't add up.

On the other hand it would be the opportunity of a lifetime for him. Think about it. He comes in, wins a historic 6th WC for Brasil in Brasil being a foreign coach. And if he loses, no big deal, he is not Brazilian. He will just return to Spain far away from all the criticism. Win win for him.

Oh yeah ... I still doubt it will happen. Most likely waiting till January means it will be Tite. Wait for Corinthians to play (I mean lose) in the CWC. Then maybe Muricy or Luxa. If it was Scolari I don't why they would wait as he is available.

4. PapaDoc23

PapaDoc23 Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Brooklyn,New York
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    If Pep comes we will be playing that boring tiki-taka bull crap that Barca/Spain plays. It shudders my spine to think of that. It wont happen more then likely it will be Tite. The CBF is waiting till January to make a decision which MEANS they are waiting to see how Corinthians does in the Club World Cup.Tite is high up their list.

5. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Pep would be the worst imaginable choice... a control-freak coach who has never existed outside an extremely specific womb-like environment thrown into the most demanding job in world soccer under the most demanding and unprecedented possible circumstances? That would be a new level of insanity even for Brazil's ********ed-up soccer authorities. At least Mou is a proven adapter even though he has the tactical abilities of a turnip.

Not to mention the ultra-defensive, shit football Pep represents would drive Brazilian fans bonkers. Its like the antithesis of Brazil's tradition of elegantly direct play. Even the most dour versions of the selecao in my memory (which admittedly is only back to 94) had that explosive creativity lurking, even if shackled. Pep would bury that forever under a tedious blanket of tikitaka. His close association with Messi can hardly be a plus either for public opinion.

Fortunately, I agree with all the people who say there is no chance in hell of this actually happening.

6. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I know it won't ever change, it's just wishful thinking and venting on my part. I wish our football culture would evolve into a real business instead of the qi/qe/influence trafficking model in which those scumbags always thrive.

7. Danakil

Danakil Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Scandinavia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    please no Pep Guardiola. No foreign Coach.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    94 team was boring defensive team with no creativity and a lot of sideways passing. 2010 was a purely counter attacking team that relinquished possession against all Brazilian tradition.

9. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oh I don't think, I know. CBF will never ever bring in a coach from another country regardless of any fan base you speak of. And what fan base are you talking about? Not from Brasil I can assure you. Bringing in a gringo would be like the Russians during the cold war asking the FBI for assistance in solving a criminal case. Just never gonna happen.
    Privatization is also never ever going to happen. First privatization would have to start at the club level. Can you see the new owner of Flamengo moving the team to Rio Grande Do Sul as they do with teams in USA? Sickning if you ask me.

10. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must be crazy. I could swear people were suggesting Dunga on this board. A turd would make a better coach.

LGRod repped this.
  11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He (Mano) didn't ...

12. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. Let's bring back Dunga and Felipe Melo.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just saying, if Dunga is worse than turd, what does that make Mano ? Not saying Dunga is the best choice, but I think he'd do better than Mano.

14. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the game you lost vs. Holland

What could Dunga have done differently?

NotreDameFlamengo repped this.
  15. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Top man. Fancy starting a petition to the CBF against foreign coach?

16. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Like i previously said.

17. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you joking? Nothing could be done with that team. Brazil simply wasn't at the same level as Holland.

First of all, because of the mediocre squad. Most of those players were not even starters on their teams and some were recovering from injuries. The average age of that team was 27, but most players didn't have much experience at international level. In addition, Brazil is supposed to play offensively and creatively, with creative midfielders serving great strikers. That's how we won 5 world cups, that's our style. However the only creative midfielder in that team was Kaka and he was not in great conditions at the time. Instead of selecting creative players such as Ganso, Dunga instead opt for a lame defensive and mediocre midfield, giving possession and playing counter-attack, going against Brazilian tradition, logic and good sense. Who in hell is Felipe Melo???? Grafite? Kleberson? These guys are not our best. Where are they now?

Dunga made horrible choices, but the worst choice made whoever put him as coach. What experience did he have? The guy didn't have any credentials! In addition to his incompetence and bad choice of players, Dunga could not keep his cool. He was a wreck during that game. The guy was crying, yelling, shoving the air and displaying a total lack of emotional control and sportsmanship and scaring the players and fans alike. He was unprofessional, incompetent and immature. He is not competent enough to run a second division team, much less Brazil's national squad.

18. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    IMO:

a) Unlikely that Brazil signs Pep, simply because Pep is not a Brazilian. Football-wise, would probably be a good choice though as Brazil needs to trust their traditional strengths, of which some are controlling the match and technique and Pep favors such stuff.

b) Whoever is signed, he needs to be backed up by everyone as the team needs positive support, not people waiting to say "I knew it wasn't going to work out".

c) No matter what players are called up by the new coach, Brazil won't have the best player material (on paper) when the World Cup starts -> so it's all about making them play as a team -> to do that, I'd prefer calling up a relatively small group of players in pre-WC matches instead of a huge pool of players.

19. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Felipe Melo is playing well in Turkey and the Champions League. The others are essentially retired.

You have some very good players in Ukraine that you are ignoring for 2014 but, could make a difference. With regard to Rana Catesbeiana's post, yes, on paper I don't think Brazil will be the best team in 2014. Actually it won't be unless something drastically changes in a year and a half but, if your new coach solves some of the more glaring problems you at least have a chance to get beyond the quarter finals which is were you seem to be stuck in all recent(Big) tournaments you enter at the senior level.

As it is if you meet a team like Mexico with your goalkeeping weakness and David Luiz in defense you may concede a cheap goal and they are capable of parking the bus and even knocking you out in the round of 16.

20. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Brazil lost that game because halfway through the game, we were short 3 midfielders (Melo, Elano, and Ramires). No national team, even Spain, could possibly cover an extreme shortage at that position. And matters were made worse since Melo got the red card.

But, let's all stay on topic here.

21. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    The polls I speak of are the ones on all the main Brazilian sports sites -- Lance, Gazeta, Globo, etc. Who exactly reads those sites and takes the time to answer the silly polls? Your normal everyday Brazilian who supports Flamengo, Corinthians, etc. Of course, this is the same type of fan who was probably begging for Adriano and Ronaldinho in 2010. I would disagree with the average everyday fan there, but not here in the case of Pep.

CBF made this decision because they felt that Mano couldnt give them the World Cup. It's that simple (I don't quite believe the internal CBF power struggle was entirely to blame). They are aware that the only coach out there who can 1) Give Brazil the best chance and 2) Make it look "pretty" is Pep. Whether they will be able to hire Pep remains to be seen, but he's their #1 choice and I don't doubt that for a second. If anything, the question to ask is whether the CBF is willing to wait till late January when Pep claims he is ready to decide on his future. With that, I'm not so sure, and we may very well see Tite or Muricy, neither of whom is much of a better alternative to Mano.

Rana catesbeiana repped this.
  22. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Felipe Melo can play well wherever he wants. He was no seleção material and will never be.

Goalkeeping weakness? Brazil has Diego Cavalieri. He's the best goalkeeper in the world today and will be a starter in 2014. Mano's defense was bad. They were missing the most basic fundamentals. I am positive the new coach will fix that.

23. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same guy who struggled at AC Cesena in Italy:eek::D No disrespect but, he is not among the top 32 keepers in the world!

24. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Lol what?

25. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    We all know that what's on paper never matters. Wasn't Brazil supposed to be the best team on paper in 2006? And, even the other "better on paper" teams failed to win.

I think David Luiz's position as a starter is up in the air, particularly when Dede comes back from injury. And, our keeping isn't the issue. Cavalieri and Alves are both class goalies (even then, Julio Cesar was on top of his game in 2010, and look what happened to him against Holland).