Breaking Bad Season 5

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by SpencerNY, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say it was stupid, but understand why some feel that it was.

Anyway, one of the big points of the last four or five episodes- everything from when Jesse beats the shit out of Saul onward - was that Jesse and Walt would never be all square. Walt had murdered Jesse's friends, manipulated Jesse into murder himself, paid for a hit on Jesse's life, and (more or less) sent Jesse into a life of methcook slavery.

Jesse finally saw that he'd been used and abused, saw that Walt was, in fact, the devil. There was no squaring that - no more half-measures. Not with Jesse, not with Skyler or Flynn, and certainly not with Hank.

The whole point was that you can't go back and undo what had been done and make it square.

(and then Walt turns into Rambo and gets the happy, kickass dumb******** ending that so many Todds out there are circlejerking to)

2. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The crazy 8 final episode is worth seeing again. That's where Walter turned the corner to Heizenberg. If crazy had not taken the broken plate Walter would have let him go. Then crazy would have said thanks then would come back and kill Walt, Jesse and Walter whole family.

3. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    All square doesn't have to mean all is forgiven. Walt gave that last look as Heisenberg, not the full of crap, lie spewing, manipulative Walter White, and on some level, Jesse seemed to give it the OK. I liken it somewhat to Walt admitting to Skyler that he did what he did for himself, and liked it. Walt had lain it all out on the table for Jesse--yes I might be the devil, but I've also been your savior.

Meh, I'd go on, but judging by your last line, it would probably be pointless.

4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    The acting in this show is staggeringly overrated, specifically Bryan Cranston's.

Phew, that feels good to type out. Oh and the final season was a complete letdown.

usscouse, eric_appleby and Matrim55 repped this.
  5. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Eh, I think when you look at the other dramas Breaking Bad was up against, the acting was pretty f'n top notch.

I'm in agreement with the final season being a letdown. They had to tie up all the loose ends but I don't think they were very graceful in doing so. The ending wasn't a letdown for me though.

6. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What the f*ck am I reading here?

Compared to the seasons of other tv series this was one of the very best seasons at the moment. Cranston was brilliant in this tv show.

Although I must say that the final episode wasn't exciting at all, but it was a satisfying one. You could clearly notice that Gilligan did everything he could to satisfy the fans.

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
  8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  9. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Obviously I respect Hopkins' opinion, but it does nothing to sway mine. Towards the end of the series it was just too over the top for me and the brilliant subtleties in the cinematography only highlighted the lack of subtlety in the acting, aside from a few brilliant scenes (some involving Cranston).

But then, maybe I need to be questioning the directing and not the acting, if over-the-top was what they were going for (and obviously they were, based on the last season).

10. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    By and large, I agree... but it's really in the mouth (see: JJ Gittes).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(still got four episodes to go, so I won't see any response to this for a few days and am afraid to Google Hank for fear of a shot of him getting off'ed on whatnot!)

11. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I finally got round to watching the last 4 episodes which I had been saving

Wow!

They really changed things up from where it seemed to be going with the whole Jesse as a rat thing.

Very dark.

Loved the final episode.

12. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I just finished this for the first time. Did we never find out who Gus was in Chile?

13. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I thought it was mentioned or infered that he was one of Pinochet's guys who fled Chile. This was what also might have protected him from the mexican cartel guys.

My memory is very foggy though as to where I got that info.

14. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    [​IMG]

I miss Heisenberg :(

yasik19 repped this.
  15. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    #340 SpencerNY, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    Yep, missing the high that show gave me.

I think amc is going to start it over again from the beginning so I may resort to that.

I'm wondering if we will be seeing any of BB's characters in Better Call Saul.

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, on August 10th AMC will run a Breaking Bad marathon. Get your binge on.
    Some characters have been confirmed, but they're only the ones who were directly connected to Saul before he showed up in BB, namely Mike Ehrmantraut and Huell Babineaux. There've been rumors about Jesse and/or Skyler making guest appearances, but I don't see how there could be any direct contact between them and Saul. Also, even though it's a prequel series, they might explore events that happen during/after the original series.

Anyone seen the real billboard that appeared in Albuquerque?

[​IMG]

17. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I watched the first complete season over the last couple of nights. about 5 hours of my life I'll never get back. I guess I'd started believing all the hype about the show but simply ended up fast forwarding over all the filler sections.

Disappointing but I won't be wondering if I've missed anything from now on.

18. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It gets much better after S1, you haven't even seen anything yet.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  19. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    At the end of the day, the show isn't for everyone though. It moves slowly at times and there are pacing issues in that yeah, there isn't always a ton of exciting stuff happening, particularly through the first act, and unless you got sucked in by the initial primary premises and you care about the characters, you aren't going to want to stick around for the show to "get good".

20. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He's already watched the somewhat boring part it only gets better from now...

21. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not all of it was better IIRC, most of it was, but there were boring sections even after Season 1. I remember that one "catch the fly" episode. That was painful to watch.

22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was, but IIRC they were forced to make that episode due to budget constraints or something.

freekickwiz repped this.
  23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Series 1 was the best of all IMO

24. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    Yup, I read they made that episode because other episodes had gone over budget.

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BottleEpisode

http://www.avclub.com/article/tv-in-a-bottle-19-great-tv-episodes-largely-confin-42284

TV in a bottle: 19 great TV episodes largely confined to one location

Dills and Dr. Wankler repped this.