Pre-match: Brazil vs Argentina, 11/17/2010, Doha, Qatar

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Oct 12, 2010.

1. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Is there any such thing like "acurate" evaluation in Team Sports or Art?

Those are the figures to measure and they represent quite well! Exampole, everyone would say Holland WC10 were among the worst in rough play (opposed to fair play) and the number did follow. Dunga instorduced "european style" with solid DM in midfield and every players gotta defense in cases, ansd the number did follow!

Are you in denial?

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We've had solid DMs in the mid-field for 20 years now. That's not new.

3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    You're right. Starting with WC94 team as the first ever we had 2 DM.

HOWEVER< the big difference is that
    Brazil94 1RC+8YC= -10/7games = -1.43 DPG (got the "fair play" awards)
    Brazil98 ......12YC= -12/7games= -1.71 DPG
    Brazil02 1RC +7YC=- 9/7games = -1.27DPG
    Brazil06 ....11YC=-11/5games= -2.2DPG
    Brazil10 2RC + 9YC =-13/5games= -2.6DPG

Brazil got worse and worse in disciplinary issues due to "counter attack" style liek 06 and 10.

Now, look at the two best "jogo" Brazil team in WC history:
    - Brazil70 4YC/6games= 0.66DPG
    - Brazil82 2YC/5games= 0.40DPG

4. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    You see where statistics can be misleading. The 94 team was more of a counter attack team and 98 was more "jogo bonito" team. So, based on your statistics 98 team was a rougher team. Also, the 94 team had 1 more yellow card than the 02 team who was as you put it was "semi jogo".

And as you said if you played jogo (beautiful attack) or if you do clean tackle (again beautiful defense) you would NOT get that many cards PERIOD.

So, based on your statistics that would put the 94 and 02 team around the same boat in terms of style and roughness.

5. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    that's not true, Tele introduced the 2 DM scheme in 1986 with Alemao/Elzo.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'd say the reason why we have less cards/fouls in 94 is because that team always control ball possession in every game. It wasn't a counter-attacking team in my opinion. All of the other teams have played in a more counter-attacking style specially the 2010 team where Dunga pretty much purposely gave away possession in his tactical plan.

7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    First of all the number of disciplinary cards provide the indication of a team style of play - and it was NOT my stats but FACT. For your info: people based on the number of cards + team display general to determine " FAIR PLAY" prize.
    NOW since you try to dispute of 1 card then we have to go deeper with games play.

WC94 team MEANT to play counter attack due to lack of quality (worldclass) playmaker while we had a brilliant striker in Romario. Thanks to the great form of Dunga who had a great tournament to boss midfield combine with very good DM in Mauro - plus Aldair very good performance that give Brazil a solid (defense) team. WC94 team did BEETER than most expected.- as they reatined good possesion in midlland and waited for best chance to counterattack!

WC98 team were "worse" in defense area from midfield with Sampaio, and Rivaldo. These two enjoyed attacking/shooting rather than "POSSESSING" Dunga could not cover all, hence most cards were from defenders: Aldair, Carlos, Cafu, Junior ... In other words, WC98 team performed WORSE than expected!

WC02" 1 YC from Denilson (stupidly) protested against th ref, and 1 YC for Ronaldinho simulating dive - happy now?

Good that you brought up WC86 team!
    Tele Santana brought the same Stars (WC82 veteran) Zico, Socrates, Falcao, Junior plus carecca Blanco in hoping to do a sweet revenge of last one. However, both Falcao and Zico got injured (not fully fit) so the introduction oof Elzo was to "band aid" the midfield incase Falcao, Zico could not run/cover lost balls. This is NOT meant to be, but a fix.

Zagalo meant to change Brazil in 94 to cope with given situation right form the start.

8. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Zico and Falcao weren't starting, why'd he come up a fix based on two players who were averaging 15min/game?

Bottom line is Tele had other more offensive options like Silas and Valdo. He went 2DM because he chose to.

9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    You will never become a coach LOL (let me repeat, yess because Tele knew they could not play full 90mins so he GOTTA be caustious with solid ones)

"bottom line is Dunga had much better offensive options like Ronaldinho, Pato, Neymar, diego ... but he went for the Beast and Josue"

hey they got the results and consequence for their selection anyhow!

10. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

You really think a scrawny 17 year old kid who get's shoved off the ball in brasil is gunna stand a chance against disciplined European defenses?

And Ronaldinho? LOLOLOLOLOL fail.

11. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    How the current Milan coach is treating him should be an indication that Dunga was right all along. Dunga made his mistake but Ronaldinho was definitely not one of them.

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    few months Before WC to present was like almost 1 year! Cmon don't act like haters but reasonable.

Look, right at WC, Sneijder and Forlan were best players and where they are now after 6months?

13. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    The Milan coach has bench him for poor performances, lack of work ethic and being unprofessional off the field and also pick a player that is worse ability wise over him. Everything Dunga did that what I mean by it was not a mistake. A quality coach will not put up with Dinho antics.

14. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    For that part, I agree with you and others ... as if Ronnie had changed after the WC06 disgrace performance. Since then he was up and down with form (or his antics?) like you said.

Sadly we gotta see talents fading out in Brazil NT from Rivaldo (2004) to Ronaldo (2008) and now Ronaldinho 2010;
    May be I am still "nostalgic" as I could not foresee any new talents getting closed to the above names. even Kaka at best form! and he is no longer as good and worse is struggling with injuries.

Let's open a new chapter with ... Ganso, Neymar, Maicon Dani and hopeful Pato in 2014! Cheers

15. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We have a generational gap for the first time in decades.

When the '94 guys washed out, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, RC, Cafu were already in their primes and ready to carry the torch in 98. Same in '02 and the addition of R10 and Lucio.

Now the new guys are still inexperienced, one thing I think CBF got it right this time is the urge to field the new talent right now. Even some players that were just in their first WC in 2010 may be too old by 2014 like Elano and Maicon.

16. GiancarloC

GiancarloC Member

Sep 4, 2010
    LA, California
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Dinho's attitude against Ajax was total s**t. I don't even want to comment on that. Robinho was trying to work, but Dinho was lazy. The game was meaningless yes... but it was a chance for Dinho to prove himself, and he came up totally short. It was horrible. His attitude is just terrible. He's still a very skilled player, and it's a pity. He is a liability with his poor passing... and total ineffectiveness. Our team relies on every player producing and performing... if one part of the team isn't working, there will be problems.

Anybody know anything about Thiago Silva's injury? I've been reading reports that he had an operation in Brazil, and the doctors there (including the Brazil NT doctor) said his recovery will take one month...

17. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    They should get rid of RG in January. He has got to realise one can't play football standing still. I was very impressed with Milan against Bologna.

18. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  19. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    His lack of movement is a disgrace. He really limits a team to 10 men and what worst is he is not overweight or anything.

20. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    lol @ comparing Ronaldinho, Pato, Neymar, diego to Valdo. Totally different players and Valdo as an efficient DM when he had to be.

RG is almost an underachiver to me. He was good, but with his God given talent he was supposed to be dominant for longer and achieve the status of Pele and Maradona, or even higher.

21. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I did not mean to compare as too much diiferent in style and quality :rolleyes:

I just made the point YET Dunga went for a weaker choices to support his stubborness