brazil offered bribe to ecuador wc 1994

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by OWN GOAL, Nov 6, 2012.

1. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    if we go back to each WC, there would be a "controversial" story ... like Italy 38, like West germany 54, like England 66 .... SKorea WC02 ...

2. OWN GOAL

OWN GOAL Member

Apr 10, 2011
    AUSTRALIA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    no worries
    amigo:)

3. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany
    after the quarterfinal games the fifa made a quick and unserious change who has to play where....uruquay massive has protestet the decision....normally brasil had to play the semis in mexico city against uruquay..so now uruquay was forced in a situation to travel....the same is happend with germany...
    normally germany had to play italy in guadalajara and not mexio city..so only germany was forced to travel...italy not....a disadvantage for uruquay and germany....the decision of the fifa was unserious...

4. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    playing at La Paz altitude IS inhumane.

people from outside South America dont know because teams from their countries NEVER play at such heights. Thats too bad. I really wanted USA, France, Italy, England, etc, to play at La Paz, just to see their player interviews afterwards regarding what they thought of the "experience". Even reporters from those countries would report strong headaches, some even nosebleedings.

and dont come with the bullshit about playing under the brazilian sun. Because matches in Brazil are NEVER played at noon... at the brazilian league, the earliest matches begin at 16:30, most at 18:30 or at night. Because yes, playing under a 40º sun is also inhumane.

5. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Uruguay had to travel BY BUS to Guadalajara - i heard it was like a 12 hours trip - to play a game with a temperature over 35 degrees celsius -
    Meanwhile the brazilians were relaxing in their hotel at Guadalajara
    Did that have an impact on the result?
    Uruguay scored first - the game was tied until minute 76 - you be the judge
    GOALS 19' 0-1 Luis Cubilla (assist - Julio Morales)
    45' 1-1 Clodoaldo (assist - Tostao)
    76' 2-1 Jairzinho (assist - Tostao)
    90' 3-1 Rivelino (assist - Pelé)

6. OWN GOAL

OWN GOAL Member

Apr 10, 2011
    AUSTRALIA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    could u provide us with a reference for this story, i know what u said was true but i never found any resourse for them :)
    regards

7. OWN GOAL

OWN GOAL Member

Apr 10, 2011
    AUSTRALIA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    the referee also favoured brazil,, pele was supposed to be expelled from the game after he elbowed a uruguayan player,, brazil 1970 was overated coz their way to the final was facilitated by fifa and the refs helped them alot even in group stage against england a brazilian player and i think he was tostao elbowed an english player and brazil scored the only goal from that elbow :)

8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Brazil dominated England though, missing some easy chances uncharacteristically for them.

9. OWN GOAL

OWN GOAL Member

Apr 10, 2011
    AUSTRALIA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    bayern and barca dominated chelsea but they lost
    dominating the game doesnt necessarily lead to the winning it and i think the refs delibrate mistakes are what makes some teams win
    for example, if the ref expelled the brazilian player, the goal against england wdnt have been scored.

10. OWN GOAL

OWN GOAL Member

Apr 10, 2011
    AUSTRALIA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    FIFA WC Final 1966 -The Truth- (Die Wahrheit) - YouTube.jpg1.jpg
    this is for u celito :)
    just before england scored the forth goal in the last minute against germany, the crowd invaded the field :)

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't get it ...

12. OWN GOAL

OWN GOAL Member

Apr 10, 2011
    AUSTRALIA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    dont get what ? :)

13. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany
    i own the german (copress, friedebert becker) worldcup 1970 puklication..published 1970..straight after the tournament......

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I have found publications in Portuguese saying this was indeed true. After the QFs the venues for the SFs were swapped. Italy did however also benefit from this as they were located just outside of Mexico City. In the end Brazil still had to go play the final in mexico city against an Italy that was already acclimated with the altitude.

Keep in mind this was also done in 1966. England was supposed to play in Liverpool in the SF but the venue was switched to London.

15. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    its not inhumane

dont be silly

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't get why was that for me. Because security let people invade the pitch to disrupt a German attack ?

17. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Well I do not ... at all ... thanks

In football there are always something called "incidence" and such thing would fall into one side as "disadvantage" ... even wanted or not ... and that's how it is

For example, the most "purest" incidence is called "gorup of death" in a draw! No teams want that but they had to take it seriously ... as "disadvantage".

Now we can always put up a "conspiracy theory" for FIFA (WC) or UEFA (Euro, UCL) ... or we just accept that as "part of life"! We can always balme FIFA for "planning" on Brazil, or Italy? maybe or maybe not ... as "incidence"!

For me, that incidence is LUCK, and the more important thing is how to "ride " the luck to be best! Brazil 70 rode their "luck" high and became the "best team ever" - well rightly so

18. OWN GOAL

OWN GOAL Member

Apr 10, 2011
    AUSTRALIA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    i believed u already i just wanted something to rely on when i tell this story to someone:)
    i found this link and it also mentioned what u just told us
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahrhundertspiel
    cheers

19. OWN GOAL

OWN GOAL Member

Apr 10, 2011
    AUSTRALIA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    no worries in australia is widely used and its what we say when someone says thank u :)
    speaking about the draw, i think the draw is fixed, i wl give u an example
    in wc 2010
    9 teams were sponsored by adidas
    germany, arg, mex, spain, paraguay, japan, denmark, nigeria, greece.
    6 of them made it through the knock out stage
    germany, arg, mex, spain, paraguay, japan
    all these teams contested in the same path to the final
    the other path didnt hav any team that was sponsored by adidas..
    cud this be a coincidence??
    i really dout it

20. OWN GOAL

OWN GOAL Member

Apr 10, 2011
    AUSTRALIA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    because u said i was yallup:)
    and i wanted to show u that i wasnt biassed to england
    the goal shouldve been denied by the ref as the audience invaded the field
    even if they didnt disturb the players

21. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany
    there was no plausible reason for fifa swapping the venue after the quarterfinals with exception giving brasil and maybe italy a advantage..in my opinion...we must put in perspectice uruaqay and germany have played 120 minutes games in the quarterfinals, italy and brasil not....this makes the decision of the fifa even more questionable....olso i have read a story..i dont know where it was .( kicker magacine i think), the people in guardaljara wasnt happy with the fifa decision too....the people there was intrest to see some other nations than brasil...the people loved the brasilians NT , no question. but have seen allready 4 games with the brasilian NT prior......

22. OWN GOAL

OWN GOAL Member

Apr 10, 2011
    AUSTRALIA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    good to know..
    and they still say brazil team 1970 was the greatest Lol

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    FIFA's president was still Stanley Rous at that time. There was no reason for him to favor Brazil other than if he was heavily bribed of course (which there is no proof).

EDIT: If you want the real reason why the venues were changed, I've already mentioned it. It wasn't to favor Brazil. It was to put Mexico in the Azteca stadium in the SF. Mexico had placed 2nd in their group putting them on the other side of the bracket in the knock out stage. The decision was made on June 10th, 4 days before the QF games were played. Nobody knew Germany and Uruguay would play 120 mins. I think either your Kicker magazine is anti-Brazilian or you read the article with tainted glasses. Of course the result was that Brazil didn't move venues, but the reason behind the decision was not with Brazil in mind.

If there was any conspiracy it was again in 66. England didn't move out of London. In the SFs the England game had a German ref and the German game had an English ref.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Haha ... we would have beaten them anywhere. We traveled up to Mexico City in altitude and easily whooped Italy 4 x 1. Jealousy is a b1tch...

25. OWN GOAL

OWN GOAL Member

Apr 10, 2011
    AUSTRALIA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    how could this be true
    mexico's last game was on june 11, their competitor in their group was USSR which played its last game on june 10 and managed to win and collect 5 points
    if mexico won by 2 clear goals they wd have finished first, however, it ended 1-0
    this makes the decision of swapping venues on june 10 illogic.