Brazil NT Goalkeeper Options

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by soccersubjectively, Nov 18, 2013.

1. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are the leading candidates for the 2014 World Cup? Is Cesar still projected to start? How many goalkeepers are realistically in the mix? (Just trying to find out some info on the current situation. Thanks for any help!)

2. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Cesar will definitely be going to the WC as Felipao has given him a vote of confidence after the Confed's Cup despite his situation at QPR. I would say the odds are in his favor to start. However, January's transfer window will be important factor in the decision making, I believe.

Other options:
    - Jefferson (Botafogo): He has been a mainstay in the Selecao over the past year and a half. He won't make too many highlight reel saves, but he is an extremely reliable keeper that minimizes mistakes.

- Victor (Atletico-MG): He played this Saturday vs Honduras. He was extremely important in Atletico-MG's Libertadores (UCL SA equivalent) championship campaign making critical saves (including a last min PK save that would have eliminated them). He was a good GK at his previous clubs, but his Achilles heel has been his consistency. He'll go on stretches where he is like a brick wall and on other stretches where he lets in howlers.

- Diego Cavalieri (Fluminense): He was a strong candidate at the end of last season as he was one of the main reasons Fluminense won the domestic league title. You probably remember him from his Liverpool days where he wasn't very impressive. This season, his form has declined. He made several poor mistakes throughout the season and simply isn't a reliable option at this point despite the fact he's starting to play better.

- Diego Alves (Valencia): He has been a forgotten man since Felipao has taken over and his injury certainly hasn't helped his chances. Personally, I'd take him to the WC along with JC and Jefferson, but I think Felipao will take another domestic GK.

- Fabio (Cruzeiro): He has been a consistent performer for a couple of years now and had been previously capped under Dunga. It seems like he'll get overlooked as well since Brazil only has one more game before the WC.

For the future: Rafael (Napoli) and Gabriel (Milan). I'm a big fan of Rafael's. I was a bit disappointed that he went to Napoli after they had acquired Pepe Reina. I would have liked to see him get some games and maybe then he would have had a shot of coming to WC. Gabriel was a pretty good GK for us at the youth level and it'll be interesting to see how he develops. In my opinion, he's still too raw to take to this WC, but he should definitely be an option in 2018 if he continues to progress.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  3. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  4. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Gabriel has been getting games at Milan lately. He might get his chance sooner than later.

5. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  6. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    and I know this is crazy to say but at age 40 Dida has shown that he still has it!:)

7. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Felipao came out and said JC is a lock, Jefferson is pretty much a lock, and the last spot is between Cavalieri and Victor.

8. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Based on actual form, Victor, no doubt... But let's see in 2014. I still think we should keep a closer look to Diego Alves...

9. Dribble&Trix

Dribble&Trix Member

Apr 14, 2005
    You summed it up very well Mengao86.

10. Kevin_405

Kevin_405 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Why is jefferson a lock. he looked so shaky in the games he has started ,i have my doubts.

Victor seems like a front runner to me to start esp if JC does not get playing time for his club

11. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How popular is Cesar with the fans? Are yall confident with him in goal or would you like to see someone else?

12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'd say most are divided on the subject. Personally, I think he is fine as long as he started playing again at a club. His rust showed vs Chile the other night.

13. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think if it wasn't for his age at 34 Julio Cesar would be a wonderful replacement for V. Valdes at Barcelona

14. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    At this point it is looking like JC and Jefferson sure spots; Cavalieri and Vitor fighting for the 3rd spot.

15. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Alright here's is the 64 million dollar question which is the best club for Julio Cesar to revive his career in January? If I had my choice wite the injury problems at the club have I would say Barcelona or he can always go back to Flamengo

16. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    He should go back to Brazil. He needs to play week in and week out.

17. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Only State leagues then and the very beginning of the Brasileirão. I think he should go somewhere else in Europe quickly.

18. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Libertadores if he came to Fla :D

NotreDameFlamengo repped this.
  19. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Gomes is set to leave Tottenham in January most likely he's heading back to Brazil

20. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A bum. And to think I had to fend herds of Feyenoord fans here from 06-08 because I said Gomes shouldn't be anywhere near the NT and that Julio Cesar was better....

21. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well if you had to pick from either Gomes or Helton in a desperate goalkeeping situation for Brazil who would you pick?:confused:

22. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Even though Victor had a bad day at the CWC he didn't get much help with that shaky defense of Atletico, I still think he has a spot on Felipao's 3 goalkeepers

23. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This wasn't his first poor match, he had 2 in the last 5 games .

24. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Victor is only getting NT play time because Atletico won the Lib, much like Cassio the year before and Cavalieri because Flu won the League.

The best in Brazil are Jefferson and Fabio. After that you can pick any GK from Fernando Prass to Marcelo Lomba, and they'll be just as good if not better than Victor, Cassio or Cavalieri.

25. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Julio Cesar only has less than 2 weeks to find a club, where he'll get playing time!! Otherwise he can kiss the starting job goodbye! !