Brazil - Italy 1982 Copa

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Denilson70, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    My disappointment in futebol as a mere fan - so disappointed I decided not to remind myself of the score in the thread title! ESPN over her recently showed this game in full. If you could make changes to our eleven for that day, who would you have changed? Only players in the squad can be named btw.

2. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    One of the worst days of my life. I still have nightmares about Paulo Rossi.

3. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    It was only because he received an amnesty following some kind of betting scandal that he was allowed to play in the tournament. Sickening!

4. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What??

He served a full 2-year ban.

5. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    It was meant to be 3.

6. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No, not at all.

7. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paolo_Rossi

"............Scandal
    While at Perugia he was involved in the infamous 1980 betting scandal known in Italy as Totonero, and as a result of this Rossi was disqualified for three years though this was later reduced to a two year ban. However, Rossi always claimed to be innocent and be victim of an injustice. In his book Ho fatto piangere il Brasile (I Made Brasil Cry) one of the people that accused him in 1980 admitted that the accusations against him at that time were invented.[3]..............."

8. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That link disproves your point, twice. Can you read?

9. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    I can read "disqualified for three years". Do I still need to stand in the corner of class?

10. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Conveniently followed by the fact that the allegations against him were false. But hey, it's only the link that you provided. You should check some sources besides wikipedia before forming opinions about events that happened in the past.

Anyway, Brazil should have been able to beat Italy with or without Paolo Rossi in the starting lineup, in order to be considered true champions. I don't see how his inclusion in the Italian squad somehow diminishes the Italian victory, in any way, shape or fashion

11. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Um, one - I do not need Wiki - I have known this for nearly thirty years! Two - you do not see how his inclusion........er, he scored 3 goals! Let us bring this to an end: he was banned for three years then freed to play in the World Cup; and, the defeat still hurts. OK!

12. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was reduced to a 2-year ban during the appeal, which is an integral part of the trial. What counts is what you get at the end of the trial, not what you get in 1st grade. Also, the appeal took place in 1980, well before the cup, and all bans were reduced, not just Rossi's.

You said it was reduced by an amnesty 'ad personam', which clearly isn't the case. Rossi served his full ban.

13. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Smacks of convenience to me.

14. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys that happens to be a pivotal game in the history of Brasilian soccer. It was a great game. It made subsequent Brasilian coaches rethink the all out attack that was the Brasilian game up to that point. The result of this match influenced Carlos Alberto Pereira's tactics in 1994.

Junior made tons of overlapping runs and got burned on counterattacks by Italy. Make no mistake, this was a game of contrasting styles and Brasil played into the Italians hands with their lax marking and mediocre goalkeeping. The key was the first goal by Rossi. Brasil constantly played catch up. By moving players forward it exposed the space in the back and allowed Italy to make numerous counterattacks and score. This and the two France West Germany world cup matches are my favorite world cup matches.

15. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    agree 100%

Two very different styles of how to play the game (before it became more international less regional game), it was a watershed moment for Brazilian soccer (86 also was significant). it still influences us to this day (Dunga stile), became an instant classic...

16. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The Samba style of Tele’s coaching re-invented Futebol, and jogo bonito was born. Despite Brasil’s loss, the 1982 Brasilian National Team goes down in history as one of the greatest teams of all time. The loss was an undeserving heartbreak, and had absolutely nothing to do with falling into the Italian's hands - just shear bad luck, plain and simple. But such is Futebol. To critize the beauty, passionate, attacking style futebol of that 1982 team for Dunga’s ugly, defensively oriented style is ignorant. However, I would agree that with only a tie needed, perhaps Brasil could have withdrawn the attack somewhat, but with players like Zico, Socrates, Falcao, Eder this could not be possible.

17. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    It is not accurate to say jogo bonito was born in 1982 when the 1970 team played as they did.

18. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008
    I watched all the matches of Italy in the WC 1982 before that game and Paolo Rossi played more than horrible - he was much worse than Serginho. I remember that Italian press wrote that he is the biggest mistake and should went home....... But one good day and he is the king forever .....

19. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Yes, he was dire - as were Italy in the group games. And that makes it worse!

20. gaby0175

gaby0175 New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    82 was the last of the reat WC tournaments. Sometimes I wish I was Brazilian lol

21. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Agree mostly except the word "numerous"! As far as I remember, Italy broke down with 3 clear chances in counter and Paolo did score 3/3. That was a "bad day" for Brazil team as they could NOT convert the 3rd goal (as usually they could do it when being "less pressure").

Paolo was almost invisible in group stage (as Italy were full catenacio team) and became a "hero" with 6goals scored in last 3 games: 3 vs Brazil, 2 vs Poland and 1 in final! I think Paolo Rossi was a bit "overated' with his WC82. As in next year, he could only score 2 goals in 7,8 game of Euro84 Qual :eek: - as the result ... the WC winner FAILED to qualify the Euro 84:eek:

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Contrary to what people say, "mediocre" goalkeeping was not one of the reasons why Brasil lost this game. Can you honestly say that any of the 3 goals he conceded were his fault ? On the other hand, the legendary Zoff was mediocre in the first Brasil goal by leaving the near post completely open and letting Socrates score a goal with almost no angle. It wasn't a gaffe per say, but it was pretty poor goalkeeping.

I am not saying Peres was better than Zoff. But in this game Peres was at no fault in any of the goals and therefore cannot be blamed for the defeat.

23. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    After the frango, as you Brasileiros call it, against USSR, his card was truly marked/reputation made. I was not Leao's biggest fan but would he have let 3 in that fateful day?

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Once again, how was any of the goals his fault ??? All 3 were point blank shot and headers.

25. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You could probably make a stronger argument that controlling the defense on a corner is an area where he failed but yeah, in the Italy game he did not make any goalkeeping blunders so that much can't be claimed.