Brasileiros "gringos": Brazilians playing for other nations thread

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by soccer krazy, Jun 1, 2007.

1. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Lol. Brain fart. Bruno Nazario hahaha. Bruno + last name that has a letter Z confused me.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Pretty disappointed about this. I don't care who Januzaj chooses, but Pereira was part of that great youth generation for a long time and I had hoped they would mature into the senior team together.

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The forward, who revealed he was named after Argentina legend Diego Maradona, said he did not expect that he or his family would be targeted by angry Brazil fans this summer.

“The fans are going to the stadiums to enjoy the games,” Costa said. “I do not believe they are going to damage my family. Brazilians have a lot of passion, but many will go to support Spain.”

1 - Named after an Argentine, already explains a lot. Probably was confused as Hell growing up.
    2 - Damage no, cussing he will hear plenty if they play us.

5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Spain was regularly booed throughout the CC. I think Judas is going to get it worse and like you said, some choice words will be thrown his way.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @ESPNagora: Efeito Diego Costa: a exemplo de Espanha, Itália sonda ex-são-paulino, mas recebe 'não' http://t.co/wnr82eeUqb

@ESPNagora: Técnico da Itália usa números e fatos para defender a naturalização de Diego Costa pela Espanha. Entenda em: http://t.co/5bqHGLT0kK

8. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    What numbers and facts? All he said was that players have Spanish or Italian last names. What does 38% of Serie A being Italian have to do with stealing players?

I would have thought that the Italian National Team would have more pride than trying to rob players that don't have anything to do with country whatsoever.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wait there a minute. Lucas played in a U-17 WC which is an official FIFA competition. I thought that tied a player up.

10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #310 Mengão86, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    Really? I remember seeing other former U20 WC get linked with other nations.

The Da Silva twins played the U17 and Portugal went after them. Bruno, ex Fla was on the U20 squad and I remember Portugal courting him.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep ... I am wrong. It was changed in 2009. Also, up until 1994 friendlies counted as well.

And I am not sure if it's true but this article I just read says the player has to actually get playing minutes in an official match and not only be called. So let's say Lucas is called for a WCQ game but doesn't actually play any minutes, he could still choose to play for Italy.

Wasn't Blatter bitching about all NTs in the future being full of Brazilians ? Why would he change these rules (at least the 2009 one) ?

12. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I feel you - I think it's a tough call for a lot of these kids. The Diego Costa incident is a different story, but in Pereira's case, it's very difficult for Brazil to integrate European youth players. The federation either doesn't know about them, or the clubs block the players from representing the country. This has happened a few times with youth players that Brazil wanted to call up - most recently Roberto Firmino from Hoffenheim - the club blocked him from playing in the South American U20 WC. Had the player been based in Brazil, he would've been required to play.

At the end of the day, this is largely FIFA's fault. The rules need to be better.

13. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Piazon is being a turd by not formally declaring for Brazil. It's stupid.

Either way, he's a lock for the Olympic team so I dunno why he gave a whiney and mildly threatening interview.

14. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

He had a solid career in Ukraine, went to Brazil and flopped at Gremio and Cruzeiro and I guess he's doing good in France.

15. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    my guess -- because players like the Da Silva twins and Piazon were high level prodigies who were already tipped for greatness in their pre-teen years, their opportunistic agents got them dual citizenship early on. So, when they played in official youth competitions, they were already dual citizens, and with the recent rule changes, they're allowed to switch countries. This happens frequently with Arab and Turkish players who initially play youth games for France and Germany, for example.

16. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Thats like that stupid Marquinhos and Portugal rumors.. these high level youth kids almost never switch cuz there's usually a spot for them unless your Thiago Alcantara (thank his dad). The switches come from those obscure youth kids that weren't good in the beginning stages of their career but happen to bloom late and then end up thanking the nation they begin to boss in as an excuse to switch. Or those Brazilians that leave early to small ass teams somewhere and then play there for a really long time in that one particular nation where they end up bossing at.. like Deco lol.

17. Jiripoca

Jiripoca Member

Jul 16, 2013
    London - Sao Paulo - Peruibe
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  18. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I had read something early this morning about Portugal asking FIFA permission to call up Fernando from Porto.

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What are we ? Oprah ? Everyone gets a Brazilian ???

Jiripoca and NotreDameFlamengo repped this.
  20. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just missing a few positions and we can field a starting 11 who play for other nations...

GK; Jonathan, Pepe, CB, LB; Fernando, Thiago Motta, Thiago; Rodrigo, Eduardo da Silva, Judas Costa

21. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    In every year since it started, do you think a Selecao B squad would have won it all? Given the high amount of talent and technical skill of the next best 11, combined with the amount of luck needed to win it, I say yes.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You're starting to sound like a true Brazilian :ROFLMAO:

23. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I think Fernando's chances of playing for Portugual in the World Cup are pretty high.

Johnathan, however, I have my doubts - don't think his paperwork will arrive on time

24. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We ought to take a look at him after WC. Hopefully we plan on putting new blood in that position -- Rafael, Danilo, and him.

25. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Rômulo (Verona) has been called up for Italy's nat'l team fitness tests that will take place next week.