Brasileiros "gringos": Brazilians playing for other nations thread

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by soccer krazy, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ok, you did never hear of an incident like that. thx

2. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think he'd be safe if he lived in Sergipe...

3. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You really think so? I don't know.. let's see what happens in June next year.

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Seems like most people there, or at least in Lagarto, are supporting his decision.

5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Spain just made their call up:

6. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Once you leave those countries you're no longer considered a "citizen" of those countries but a defectee... you do know what a defectee is right? I'm pretty sure you can't defect from any country...

7. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So you have no glue whatsoever either. They do not remove citizenship, they do pursue you as a criminal.

8. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    They can't pursue you outside their country anymore once you've defected.. simple. Cuz you're no longer a citizen.

If that was the case Osvaldo Alonso and half the MLB would be on trial in Cuba...

9. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    No clue whatsover either? Entering google to provide hard proof for you is not worth the time or effort. Why dont you go get some proof on your uninformed statement.

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    You mean "defectors."

North Korea is a country you mentioned.

While North Korea is a human rights nightmare whose government has no qualms in using the most barbaric measures to suppress dissent and to punish "traitors," it is not true that defectors who are caught and repatriated lose North Korean citizenship. They may be tortured, beaten, imprisoned, and in some cases, executed, but the removal of citizenship is the least of their worries. Heck, if I had to choose between having Brazil's government nullify my citizenship or having to spend a month in a dungeon being beaten with cassetetes (and having a cassetete shoved up my rectum for good measure), I'd gladly opt for the former.

In recent time, a number of very young North Koreans who were trying to defect to South Korea were caught in Laos, and with Laotian government help, were sent back to North Korea. Yet these youths were later shown on state television, apparently healthy, all wearing party badges. Now, this may well have been a propaganda stunt, but even if they were slapped around or even beaten, they were displayed on national TV in good condition. They spoke against those whom they met abroad.

I would speculate North Korea's government didn't strip them of their citizenship.

And, North Korea gladly publicized this incident, albeit for the obvious reason it was a propaganda and ideological victory. In contrast, in faraway 1997, a very senior member of their party defected to South Korea. The North Koreans admitted it, but they called him a traitor and tried to assassinate him. He later died of natural causes.

Now, if one commits an act of treason, then a government can and will take one's citizenship.

I disagree.

People will forget. Millions and millions of Brazilians are working hard, long hours daily to make ends meet. Many won't care at all that some 20something soccer player who is making millions and who hasn't lived in Brazil for many years opted to play for another national team. I personally believe that we Brazilians who live outside often think Brazilians in Brazil care about soccer as we do. Many frankly couldn't care less, other than during 30 days every 4 years. With the problems and social issues Brazilians face every day, Diego Costa's "defection" is as relevant to their daily lives as an arrest of a petty criminal in Pirassununga is to any Brazilian immigrant in the USA or in Canada.

Were Costa to score a winning goal against us, sure, he'll be maligned. Outside that, nobody will care. Nobody remembers other Brazilians who played for other teams. Many probably never heard of him. It's not like we lost Ronaldo or Zico to Spain. Costa is great, but he's not a hall-of-fame type.

11. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    as much as I think Diego Costa´s Spain choice was CYNICAL and ethically wrong, because there are several clues that point he DOES NOT feel spaniard nor he wants to live in Spain as a Spaniard (and imho, you should play for NATIONAL TEAMS that you really identify with the country, to the point of wanting to live and die there), this CBF move is pathetic, but expected, considering Marin is a hardcore military dictatorship supporter, one of the "Brasil, ame-o ou deixe-o" (Brazil, love it or leave it) types...

12. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    do those governments have to turn those incidents public for them to be known?? Western media would surely report on such incidents, and therefore, we would have links

ANYWAY, even the USA does revoke citizenship to natural born citizens in some cases:
    "Americans who live in foreign countries and become members of other governments have, in some instances, been stripped of citizenship, although there have been court cases where decisions regarding citizenship have been reversed."

Also, it seems that americans who have dual citizenship and JOIN THE ARMY of another country also lose their citizenship.

So, of the US can revoke citizenship of its natural born citizens, probably quite a few european countries may also do it, probably always in extreme cases...

13. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  15. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Cruzeiro's 17-year old DM Luís Felipe has been called up for the United States U20 NT. He was born in New York to Brazilian parents.

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  16. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    US has a pretty vast network of scouting. I'm impressed.

He's about 2 generations younger than most of our in form volantes. I'm honestly surprised he hasnt been called up by U17 Brazil yet, but I speculate he will in the run up to the next U20 WC, provided he develops accordingly.

17. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  18. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
  19. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @globoesportecom: Agora, sim: Diego Costa é convocado para estrear na Espanha, contra Itália http://t.co/4rshyeaTxF

20. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    [​IMG]

Judas finally puts on the shirt. @leonidas ' head explodes....

21. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Spain - bunch of vultures - and they're so pathetic they can't even do simple homework first to see if he's even eligible.

22. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Brazil were able to "fight off" Belgium for Andreas Pereira of Man United. He's played for Belgium but will likely be integrated in time for the U20 South American. Could prove to be a very potent midfield with Rafinha and Piazon. From the looks of it, our U20 team will be very good.

The good news is that Brazil has some pretty good 17 year old forwards in Europe -- namely Kelvin and Bruno Mezenga. Mezenga in particular looks to be quite promising.

Unfortunately, we've probably "lost" Rony Lopes -- and I speculate that he will be included on the Portugal World Cup short list.

http://esportes.terra.com.br/futebo...e-novos-diego-costa-cbf-manda-gallo-a-europa/

This link is missing one other guy and that's Leonardo Bittencourt from Dortmund / Hannover. My understanding is he'll likely remain with Germany.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That red card is gonna go perfectly with that jersey.

24. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Bruno Mezenga? There's another one? Where does this one play?