Brasileirão 2013 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil: Clubs and Competitions' started by Mengão86, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who's the favorite to win this year's Brasileirão?

Poll closed Jun 1, 2013.
  1. Corinthians

25.0%
  2. Fluminense

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. São Paulo

25.0%
  4. Gremio

8.3%
  5. Atlético-MG

25.0%
  6. Santos

8.3%
  7. Flamengo

8.3%
  8. Botafogo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Vasco da Gama

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Cruzeiro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Internacional

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree that the process is to blame. Like I said, I am curious to know what is the typical communication process used in these cases as this type of issue is nothing new. Yeah information seems to be posted on the CBF website, but is that the official process agreed on between the clubs and CBF ? What was used before the Internet ? As bad as CBF is about updating it's site, I can't believe that's the official communication system.

And why not give a list to the ref of suspended players before the game so that he can check for ineligible players ? I guess that might create other issues and someone else to blame for mistakes.

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A representative used to contact the club and inform them of the decision. I'm not sure if that is still done. Portuguesa claim they weren't informed when their former lawyer said they were. Portuguesa said they have proof from their phone records.

That would take away power from the STJD. The legal system is still in the stone ages.

4. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    1- The Artigo 214 sounds pretty clear to me.

2- Heverton da Portuguesa foi expulso contra o Bahia e cumpriu suspensão automática diante da Ponte Preta. Só que ele recebeu uma outra punição, em um julgamento na sexta-feira anterior ao jogo do Grêmio, no domingo: pegou mais uma partida gancho, o que o impediria de atuar. No entanto, ele, que estava na reserva, entrou aos 32 min do segundo tempo naquela partida.
    A Portuguesa sempre alegou que não foi avisada do segundo jogo de suspensão pelo advogado que a representou naquele julgamento, Osvaldo Sestário.

Looks like a lack of communication between the Portuguesa attorney (since then has been fired) and the Portuguesa coaching staff, which unfortunately is not a valid defense. And the punishment unanimously voted by all 5 STJD judges.
    Is it fair? Hell no it is not fair, but THE LAW IS THE LAW.

5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And yet it has caused all this confusion. The law is rarely so simple.

You're ignoring the issues, pointing to one thing that seems to back up your position and not addressing the opposing view.

Looking at the law as you pasted it I have a few questions:

How does the same document define "situação irregular"?
    What is the official means of informing a club of this? Was this procedure followed? (Not just was the lawyer told, but was he told in a timely manner?) Is telling the lawyer only part of the procedure or is the lawyer the only official contact for clubs in these matters?
    What happens when clubs are not aware of the full length of the suspension (as in this case - they remove the player from one game but not future ones)?

Eventually you get to the questions that matter for everything we've been talking about: Even if everything is followed to the letter in this case, why is the application of this punishment inconsistent with past applications and why does it disproportionately favor big clubs?

Do you think that if Flamengo were in a similar position next year (not this year because that did not affect their Serie A status - though it did affect sponsorship deals) they would get the same treatment as Portuguesa? I doubt it.

And if you say yes, and you sincerely believe this is the beginning of a trend in applying the law consistently, you still have to explain why you suddenly think things are going to change and you're still left with an institution that needs to be better organized in order to prevent problems from occurring in the first place.

celito repped this.
  6. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    The judge in the case is an idiot. How he ever became a lawyer, and subsequently a judge, is beyond me. Oh wait...this is Brazil.

"Dia util" means next business day. If the player was judged on Friday and the additional suspension only goes into effect on the next business day...when is the next business day? Bueller? Anyone? Certainly not Sunday when the Lusa player played.

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So much for the letter of the law.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Dia util is not written anywhere in the law as far as I know.

Normalmente, prazos em DIAS começam a contar no primeiro dia útil que se suceda à decisão, mas, veja, isto NÃO está escrito no art. 133. Esta hipótese é levantada porque, normalmente, em nossos códigos, os prazos em HORAS começam a contar do minuto seguinte à intimação, independente deste hipotético dia ser útil ou não.

Sestário garante que transmitiu, por telefone, a informação ao clube assim que terminou a sessão. Inicialmente a diretoria da Portuguesa confirmou o telefonema, mas negou ter sido informada sobre a suspensão do jogador. Depois, mudou sua versão, afirmando não ter sequer conversado com o advogado. Seja como for, um detalhe chamou a atenção: o fato de uma comunicação dessa importância ter sido feita de modo tão informal.

À revista eletrônica Consultor Jurídico, o advogado garante que a praxe é a notificação formal, por e-mail. A exceção se dá quando o julgamento ocorre numa sexta-feira, e o clube precisa saber se poderá contar ou não com aquele atleta na rodada do final de semana. Nesses casos, como a publicação do acórdão só acontece na segunda-feira, que é o primeiro dia útil posterior ao julgamento, a comunicação é feita por telefone, ainda no tribunal.

9. Fúria_Brazuca

Nov 3, 2006
    Horas depois do julgamento, atacante do Fluminense é hostilizado no Galeão
    Na noite de segunda-feira, após o julgamento em que o STJD rebaixou a Portuguesa e salvou o Fluminense, Rafael Sóbis passou por um aperto no Rio. O atacante do Flu estava no Aeroporto do Galeão quando foi abordado de maneira agressiva por torcedores do Atlético-MG, que embarcavam para o Marrocos.
    O grupo o interpelou com gritos de "vergonha" e "série B", que logo passaram a ser repetidos por outros passageiros. O atacante também foi vaiado. Rafael Sóbis teve que se retirar para uma área reservada.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/blogs...-atacante-do-flu-e-hostilizado-no-galeao.html

10. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There were actually 5 Judges on the panel that resulted in a unanimous decision.
    Anyway, Portuguesa can appeal further all the way to Brasilia, but this may be a waste of their money.
    However, the situation does not seem to be 100% over, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    I don't see Portuguesa being successful in appealing to higher courts for overturning the STJD Decision, especially since the venue was concluded through administrative hearings.

11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  12. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hahahaha. Talk about getting off on a technicality. That is so ridiculous.

13. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brazil.............. lmao

14. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just for the record, that's a joke. One that will probably send the owner of that parody Twitter account to he fiery depths of hell.

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  15. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    wow thats good lmao.

16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    New article argues that the statute that the Portuguesa decision was based on is illegal and contradicted by newer regulations about notification of decisions by STJD.

http://blogdojuca.uol.com.br/2013/12/artigo-que-condenou-a-lusa-e-ilegal/

TLDR decisions need to be published online otherwise they may be considered null and void.

17. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @Mengão86 Can you elaborate on Fluminense jumping two divisions in 2000? Vickery mentioned this and also mentioned that the Brasileirao could have 24 clubs next season.

18. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Basically when Flu were promoted from Serie C to B, CBF was dealing with an issue involving Sandro Hiroshi. I won't get into specific detail, but a new tournament was created and Fluminense were invited. This was in 2000. In 2001, Fluminense were placed in the Serie A because the tournament in 2000 didn't have any rules regarding relegation and promotion.

19. Jiripoca

Jiripoca Member

Jul 16, 2013
    London - Sao Paulo - Peruibe
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @Ombak regarding your post

Deal with the message, not the messenger. Vickery is plenty positive about Brazil when the news is positive.
    I am dealing with the message AND the messenger and his motives, what are you talking about?! Give us an example of when he`s been positive about Brasil, come on?

The amount of games is a negative point. Ivo defended the Estaduais for example as tradition in another recent discussion. I meant to reply there but since I put it off, I'll add it here too: tradition alone is not a good reason to do anything.

Who are you to decide what is a negative point - just because its true means its a negative point right? Just concede its true if you want credibility. I never said that about tradition, what are you talking about?

All of the points above read as excuses to me.Again, these read as excuses. You want to compare Portsmouth losing 10 point AFTER they were already relegated to what happens in Brazil? You want to compare regulations that require clubs to be financially responsible with a regular culture of trying to win off the field? You want to compare the tapetão to fining a club for breaking the rules about how a powerful corporation should act with respect to player contracts ?

The comparison is about English teams going to courts at the drop of a hat just like Brasilians, so why make such a big noise when Brasil do it? `Regular culture of trying to win off the field`! What!?
    All of YOUR excuses are EXCUSES and youre trying to pretend its the other way around!

Two of those things are not at all analogous and the other (Portsmouth docked points) is barely analogous and defeats your point because it did not affect the relegation.Why are we Brazilians so defensive? Vickery's point is very valid. I don't give a shit what nationality typed up the words. We can argue about attendance if we want and even about the tapetão, as bizarre as it is to see 2 people defending it (though in both cases it seems to be that the defense is "I don't like foreigners talking bad about Brazil"), but lets not throw out criticism because you don't like it when it comes from someone who doesn't have a Brazilian passport.[/quote]

The points I made are entirely analagous, you just don`t have the honesty to admit it. Vickery`s point is drivel, in return I dont give a shit what you think either, youre obviously one of these people who grovel to the foreigners and fight their battles for them. You label anyone putting a contrary viewpoint as `Defensive`, so insulting anyone with an alternative opinion to yours. Your opinions will never stop other people voicing their opinions, which is what you`re trying to do I believe.

You come across as an apologist for Vickery and extremely unpatriotic . Stop sucking up to Vickery and stand up for your country instead.

20. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Vickery doesn't have to apologize, Brazilian people should start looking at themselves for the problems with our society, that's the reality.

Honestly..

[​IMG]

and then.. complain when people point it out.

21. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't believe that at all.

22. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah, you didn't really defend any of your points, you just repeated them and attacked me. That's not how a conversation works.

You have a right to your opinion, as do I. I agree with that and nowhere did I suggest otherwise, but of course simple disagreement led you to state I was trying to silence your opinion. Back your opinions up and learn to deal with people who disagree.

23. Jiripoca

Jiripoca Member

Jul 16, 2013
    London - Sao Paulo - Peruibe
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I will if you will.
    Nothing i could say would get you to admit you`re wrong so whats the point?
    I just find it strange that someone who works for this website/forum, which relies on lively debate to draw in more people and sponsors i.e. money, would try to stifle any comments or opinions he doesnt agree with, and get all hysterical if anyone dares criticise Vickery.
    All i did was give you a taste of your own medicine, and criticised your puppy-like allegiance to Vickery.

24. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    arguments are not made for people to admit that they are wrong. They are made to persuade a person to see things from your point of view.
    You hate Vickery he likes Vickery, that won't change.

But maybe he disagrees with some of the things Vickery says and you agree with some of the things Vickery says.. Vickery's opinion is not law, just because he likes 1 aspect of his opinion doesnt mean he likes all of his opinions. And same goes to you.

Ombak repped this.