Brasil not safe enough to host a Mundial

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by la saeta rubia, Dec 13, 2012.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why do you even bring that up?

Not that it should matter, but regardless of how many pictures you post, Argentina demographically is the whitest country in the Americas, whiter than the USA, Uruguay and even Canada. This is partly due to the fact that the area didn't have a large native population, and partly due to genocidal policies that were implemented long before most of our families immigrated into the country, but mostly because Europe was a mess in the late 19th and early 20th century so lots of people made the transatlantic trip and basically built the nation. While Argentina is obviously starting to become more diverse with globalization and a new wave of immigrants, it's still a primarily white country demographically.

I don't get your intentions. Are you trying to insult us by saying we are something we are not- and is being of a different race an insult in your view-, or are you trying to say we are supposed to apologize for who we are?

Whether I or you like it, we are who we are and there's nothing we can do about our roots. I cannot change my roots or who I am. When I was growing up, my grandma would always tell me stories about the traditions of her old village in Europe, their centuries-old European festivals and so on, not about Pacha Mama and the native American traditions. That's who I am culturally, and that's who a majority of us are, and that's something we cannot change, even if we wanted to change it.

Yes, I'd like to see more diversity in Argentina, but I'm not going to pretend we are something we are not, and I'm not going to apologize for who we are.

2. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    it works every time :ROFLMAO:

can't fancy a bit ov banter m8?

[​IMG]

Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    see above.. can't handle the banter bruv

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There's nothing funny about racially-based banter. The problem here is that some people resent us simply for being who we are, as if we were supposed to be something else. Hopefully that will change, as the world becomes more interconnected and everybody becomes more accepting of others. Merry Christmas.

5. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    sounds like a South American problem to me.. its ironic that Argentina's best and biggest club is also well known for being pretty Bolivian.. lel now I find that pretty funny.

[​IMG]

RiverGaucho and Santista1962 repped this.
  6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's because Bolivians love good football, so they identify with Boca.

Actually Bolivian and Paraguayan immigrants are a factor in Argentina slowly becoming a bit of a more diverse nation. But culturally and ethnically it's still primarily to a large extent European, even though geographically it's not, and that seems to rub some people the wrong way. It shouldn't. As I said, we are who we are, it's not something we got to choose.

7. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    see above x3.. can't handle the banter bruv

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  8. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi. Please reserve your "banter" about race for a different forum. Thanks.

9. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Argentina still has a ver big european population... sadly every day more and more bolivians and paraguayans and peruvians are entering the country illegally and villa miserias or shanty towns are growing exponentially.

This is only leading to more segregation, discrimination, and racism. More private neighborhoods are being built every day, and many porteños are trying to move to the provincia to places like san isidro and martinez into these barrios with private security and local police forces that aren't corrupt like the policia federal (CFK's cronies) to get away from the crime that is absolutely crazy in buenos aires right now. I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up like brazil and completely segregated in 10-15 years. There are parts of buenos aires that were completely safe only a year ago that are completely unsafe at night now and illegal immigration is the cause of this

10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL because boca players good football???? When was this exactly?

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not sure how long you've been watching football or how much knowledge of the game you have, but since I first went to La Bombonera at age six, these are some of the great ones who I remember played for Boca -off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing many more:

Angel Rojas, Silvio Marzolini, Norberto Madurga, Antonio Roma, Jorge Koch, Orlando Medina, Julio Melendez, Nicolas Novello, Mane Ponce, Hugo Gatti, Heber Mastrangelo, Roberto Mouzo, Omar Larrosa, Enzo Ferrero, Marcelo Trobbiani, Mario Zanabria, Toti Veglio, Wow, I'm still in the 70s...

Lets see, 1980s, Diego Maradona, Miguel Brindisi, Navarro Montoya, Alfredo Graciani, Osvaldo Escudero, Olarticoechea, el Chino Tapia, Claudio Cannigia, Manteca Martinez, Diego Latorre, Alberto Marcico, Gabriel Batistuta, Brujita Veron, Kili Gonzalez...

Now we get to the ones you might have heard of...Juan Roman Riquelme, Martin Palermo, Guillermo Barros Schellotto, Walter Samuel, Norberto Solano, Oscar Cordoba, Carlos Tevez, Hugo Ibarra, Rodolfo Arruabarruena, Diego Cana, Seba Battaglia, Chelo Delgado, Roberto Abbondancieri, Nico Burdisso, Clemente Rodriguez, Fernando Gago, Ever Banegas, Rodrigo Palacio, and so on until we get to the present time.

Lots of great football players played for Boca during my time, that I had a pleasure to watch. I'm sure I'm missing quite a few.

atomicbloke, MatthausSammer and Dr. Know repped this.
  12. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Umm did you forget the America - Sao Caetano game in 04’ when the Mexican fans broke down fences, stormed the pitch at the Azteca and started fights? The Caetano players had to run away to the locker room because the America fans were all going crazy trying to hit them because they got eliminated.

13. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Ohh my. RiverGaucho here’s some advice:

[​IMG]

atomicbloke repped this.
  14. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What about the Libertadores final right after 2010?...........2011 2nd leg final, the exact same thing happened to Peñarol at Santos

15. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    big problems against the Brazilian national team/coach.

there are no organized supporters of the Brazilian national team and I can´t remember any fan violence incident regarding the national team. Brazilian football violence is restricted to clubs.

16. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    thats the way it is with most countries. the argentina national had an organized group called "hinchadas unidas argentinas" but it was mainly made up of very small clubs.

in 2010, a number of hooligans from argentina traveled to south africa, and actually a boca hooligan died, but it happened in a fight against the independiente hooligans

The only real fight i know of involving fans/hooligans of the argentina national was at mexico 1986 against the english hooligans, but that was la doce, the boca hooligans

17. twelvester

twelvester New Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Club:
    Al Ittifaq Dammam
    the country will do anything just to make sure it wont happen, dont worry about that
    Just sit back and enjoy the show - 12Bet.com

18. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    This is absolutely true, they will make sure anybody that thinks about touching a tourist or causing any type of disruption on their money making schemes will get shot and killed quickly

19. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    If Mexico, South Africa and Ukraine are safe enough to hold major championships then I'm pretty sure Brazil is fine!

20. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Didn't they the same about South Africa and if I am correct South Africa has a higher homocide rate than Brazil? yet nothing happened

Brazil world cup will be fine

Guigs and sidspaceman repped this.
  21. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    yup S. Africa had huge safety concerns, but they pretty much shuttled people to and from the stadiums, nobody actually went into the cities and bad parts of the cities.

In Brazil they are planning kind of the same thing, only Rio is planning for the whole city to be available for tourists, even the favelas, because they are hosting 2 events.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Only South Africa's murder-rate is near the levels of Brazil's. As Guigs alluded to, South Africa lined the fan miles & other touristy parts with 24-hour security. And tourists in general aren't very adventurous so that's why nothing happened.

Even with that, it was somewhat unpleasant to walk in these areas at night with the constant aggressive begging for money, even from the security people.

23. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Lol i just found this thread, this is funny.... makes me remember Copa America 2001

24. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    That one Argentina flat out refused to play!

25. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Because they were scared, they thought we were in the late 80's for some reason...