BPL Match 15: Newcastle United Vs Wigan Athletic, Monday 3rd December [R]

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Russell1892, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]Vs [​IMG]

Massive game this one. I'm sure you don't need reminding but our form has been terrible recently, we've lost the last four league games on the bounce, and only drew with Maritimo in the Europa League in the midst of that. We didn't win a single game in November, with the last three points coming rather fortunately courtesy of Cisse's arse against West Brom at the end of October.

Doesn't look like things are really getting a lot easier for us with the injuries still mounting up. Cabaye, Saylor, Raylor et al are still missing for the foreseeable future, the best news we have is that apparently Shola "might" be okay for a spot on the bench (I know.. pass the party hats around). Perch is suspended for picking up his fifth yellow against Stoke. HBA won't feature either, which has the potential to leave our midfield with about as much creativity as George Lucas writing a prequel.

I heard Saylor on the radio the other day saying that he thought the local press had been a bit vicious about NUFC recently. I think he's off his tits if he thinks the frankly mild criticism from the Chronicle comes anywhere near the anger people are feeling with the form of the club in the short term, and the direction of the club in the longer term.

Wigan hammered us at their place earlier in 2012, but we got a 1-0 win over them in the corresponding fixture last season when Cabaye curled home his first goal during our unbeaten run. They have injuries mounting too, and have won only one of their last four (against Reading), and since its not April yet they probably haven't started playing as well as they can.

Howay the Lads! and Discuss.

JaredSS07 repped this.
  2. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We come out in a 4-4-2. I'm shocked!

Krul, Santon, Coloccini, Williamson, Simpson; Gutierrez, Anita, Tiote, Marveaux, Cisse, Ba.

3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    It's on live in the US on ESPN2-right now!

4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    20 seconds in Tiote almost scores from distance. I guess we've put our stamp on the game at the outset.

5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Two minutes later Tiote nearly booked. No more warnings I'm sure.

On the restart Krul is tested from distance.

Tiote and Jonas suspended after next yellow.

6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Yet on our first set piece it's Marveaux to Willo at the back post... #FAIL

7. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    12' Cisse bundled over in the box by Figeuroa. Pen and red.

8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    F-ing Ba is taking...........................................nearly saved. Squeezed it under the keeper. 1-0 against 10 men. Beausejour yellowed for berating the linesman. I guess you could say Al-habsi was going to get to the ball before Cisse and Figueroa, but the refs didn't see it that way.

9. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    21' Santon lights up Al-Habsi from distance. Ba pegs home the rebound. 2-0.

Wigan had the sub up and ready for a while. Finally get to make it.

McCarthur for Jordi Gomez.

10. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Tiote commits a routine foul and gets the talking to from Mike Jones (who?). Absolutely next foul will be carded.

11. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    30' Caldwell booked for hacking down Ba.

12. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    34' Al-Habsi has to fingertip away a shot from Marveaux.

13. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    36' Caldwell hauls down Ba by his sleeve. Mike Jones (who?) awards the foul but only gives Calwell a talking to.

14. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I guess the book on Wigan read shoot from outside. Tiote with another that just barely goes over the bar. Al-Habsi's distribution has been scattershot as well. Perhaps a keeper switch at the half? They've got Pollitt on the bench, some EPL experience there.

15. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    44' McArthur hacks down Cisse nearly from behind as well. Mike Jones (who?) awards no card. To be fair, Cisse should have been booked for a challenge before our first goal as well.

16. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    A page out of last year's book. Considering we're level on points and only two above the drop right now, I can't feel too sorry for Roberto Martinez. He'll get his later on, just not at our expense.

It's been a pretty good first half. Could be a little tighter at the back but it's all us going forward.

17. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Tiote off at the half. As has Caldwell. Bigi for us. Lopez for them.

18. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Wigan's been sticking it to us for the first three minutes or so. Now Santon goes off injured inthe 50' and Ferguson is on .

19. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    56' Bigi stripes a nice one that's saved by Al-Habsi. Cisse, who was offside to begin with, plays the rebound out of bounds.

20. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Looks like we've taken control back after a bit. We're working the better chances as well.

21. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Marveaux, who provided the pass on the first attempt, does the same. This time Bigi cuts it in and beats Al-Habsi from the top of the box. SSD 3-0.

22. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Sammy on and yellowed straight away. Jonas off. Wasn't contributing much according to the twitterverse. As much as we've dominated, he really wasn't called upon.

23. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    82' McManaman on for Dos Santos.

24. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    85' Ba holding the hammy. We may have to finish with 10 men as well.

25. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-0 win but the cost is Santon & Ba injured.