Alert: Boycott the Revs

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you're willing to make that assumption, but I'm not.

2. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Looks like Bilello's got job security for the next Googleplex years.

3. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Googolplex

4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Interesting. Think Bain hired him for his good looks?

5. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Can this boycott include something like better pay and working conditions for the interns?

6. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I thought you were unpaid? Something's fishy here. Maybe you're not an intern afterall and just Mike Burns himself.

7. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We already got you a new, more badass Slyde suit...what more do you want?

8. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Not unless the human resources director over there is a cinephile with a fixation on Nosferatu. (Come on... Mike Burns' forehead can't be the only brunt of jokes about physical appearance in the Revolution's front-office.)

Seriously, if Bilello's supposed business savvy made him such an integral part of the Bain & Company team, why did he walk after five years for positions with Kraft Sports Group - Director of Quality & Operational control, as well as overseeing concessions and retail operations - that amount to being a glorified hotel GM, or a regional manager for Foot Locker?

Further, given that Bilello's portfolio as Revolution CEO and President has seen him responsible for overseeing "all aspects of the team's business operations, including sales, communications, marketing, broadcasting, special events and operations", exactly where on that list do you identify areas in which the Revolution's performance has been exemplary?

Sales? Spare me gobbledy-gook marketing-speak about the dedicated ticket sales service group's winning the MLS Presidents Cup in 2011 for "season-ticket holder renewal rate". Communications? During Bilello's tenure with the club, the Revolution has proven to be about as forthcoming as the Kremlin when it came to disseminating meaningful information about the franchise. Marketing? Beyond the bubble-headed Revs Girls and a new Slyde costume... nada. Broadcasting? The Revolution's policy of broadcasting all matches pre-dates Bilello's arrival, so he can't claim credit for that boon to Revs fans; beyond that - without turning off the audio - there's not a lot to recommend a New England Revolution broadcast. Special events? Marquee friendlies were likely Gulati's doing for the better part of Bilello's time with the club and U.S. Open Cup matches get shipped out to Ludlow and New Britain. Oh, wait! The Supporters Summits are "special"; I find nothing quite as "special" as having smoke blown up my keister. Operations? What Bilello has "operated" during his tenure as Revolution CEO and President is one of the most dysfunctionally moribund (dis)organizations in all of major-pro sports.

I'll stand by my assessment of Brian Bilello's tenure with the New England Revolution: His longevity has nothing to do with his being a proven business genius who excels in his oversight of the aforementioned areas of operation. Rather, it has lasted as long as it has because he's a classic "yes-man" who doesn't "rock the boat".

RevsLiverpool and pwykes repped this.
  9. Fire Mike Burns

Aug 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Fire JDEsq09

10. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    No. When you're an unpaid intern, any increase in pay will certainly be better.

Wait, if my removal becomes part of the boycott, I certainly can't support it.

11. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back on topic. Certified letters go out to Kraft, Bilello, and Garber tomorrow. I'll hopefully post a copy of the letters and a video of me mailing them tomorrow.

Note: Boycott the Revs does not support the firing of any current members of Boycott the Revs. Unless Mike Burns signs up. Because I'd still totally want him fired.

12. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    So, there will be a video of the letters being handed to a postal worker? Riveting!

13. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably me dropping them into a mailbox. Nearly as riveting, eh? Just want anyone interested in joining that this actually happened. More for documentation than entertainment.

14. MLSinHD

MLSinHD Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike will members of the media be getting copies too or a press release?

15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Mike Burns has been GM since 2009 so the team has sucked under his watch, which is why he specifically needs to be replaced.

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice idea in theory to demonstrate a potential MLS market still exists in this city. You could call yourselves Revs Apathy United or something. But big picture, it's not going to matter to Kraft, the league, or anyone else other than now they've identified a group of disgruntled, former revs fans who are just slightly less apathetic than those who have ignored the team completely. The 80-20 rule is in effect and you would be the 20, where the focus would be on the other 80% who are still contributing revenue for this team and league in some way, shape or form.

There is no real media for this team so it would be hard to make in-roads about your perspective other than by word of mouth to influence the youth soccer and family group purchasers away from the revs.

Besides, who will you support? It sounds like a support group for ex-pats who gather once a month and talk about stories that start with "back in the old country..."

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he was on a management or high potential track at Bain, he sure as hell wouldn't be running the New England Revolution.

pwykes repped this.
  18. shanary

shanary Member

Aug 18, 2008
    BOSTON
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike might you want to wait until you have some solid numbers behind you to send the letters? otherwise you look like on angry fan speaking for yourself and sending certified letters.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  19. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Fixed your post. Take your pick.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both are applicable.

Brian in Boston repped this.
  21. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    cool

22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, letters are in the mail?

23. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are.

The video, unfortunately, did not come out so well. And it's the kind of thing where you really only get one take.

24. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH