Boxing Round 2 [R]

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by soccernutter, Jan 1, 2009.

1. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know...hence why I said "if they were smart". If Mayweather really thinks about it that is where the BIGGEST money is.

Mayweather v Bradley (Mayweather makes at least 5 million)

Next fight versus Marquez/Pac = 15 million for Mayweather.

This is swan song in boxing and if he wants to maximize his earning potential he will work to make this happen.

2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Actually they were talking about each fighter making at least 50 million for both Pacquaio and Mayweather before Pacquiao lost. Pacquiao usually makes at least 23 million every time he fights for the past couple of years now.

I think there will be a Pacquaio-Marquez 5. There is just too much money involved in this fight for it not to happen. The only question is how long Pacquaio will take to recover as well as whether he will take an easier fight first which his coach Freddy Roach wants him to do.

One thing for sure, both fighters should follow Donaire's example of having random drug testing before the fight to avoid PED suspicions from being thrown about.

Speaking of which if Donaire continues his string of victories against Mares and Rigondeaux, we might see another Filipino land on the top pound per pound list very soon.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  3. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He already is...some say he is #3 or 4 now (depending if you count Mayweather still or not).

4. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is probably combined income, not straight purse. The Bradley fight was his highest purse (not sure what he made this last fight) and it was for 13 million.

5. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    $23m

6. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incorrect. Just checked and his official purse for Bradley was 6 and Marquez 8.6

7. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    The money I mentioned includes PPV plus purse. Arum usually guarantees him more than what is indicated on those official purses and the guaranteed figure is what makes fighters sign the dotted line. He has been raking more than 20 million total per fight for the past few years now.

As for Donaire, I meant #1 on the list, like Manny. He needs a couple more major victories to achieve that.

8. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  9. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Money does it again. I can't stand him, but I give him his props.

USvsIRELAND and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  12. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Don't care for his outside the ring crap, but inside the ring he's become one of my all-time favs.
    Sweat Pea Whitaker is my #1 favorite. Lennox a close second and Tito Trinidad third. Money has moved into that group but not sure whereabouts.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  13. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too. Damn. Fast.

Every money fight is now, can he hit him with his jab whenever he wants? If yes, borefest.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Floyd "I'm scared shitless to fight Manny" Mayweather

mike4066 and The Potter repped this.
  15. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate Floyd with a passion but he has toned down some of his antics and I give him props for this past fight.

His only blemish is not giving Manny a chance. Hopefully Manny wins in Nov and we see a Manny v Floyd fight next May.

16. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I've always been a believer that a great boxer would beat a great puncher 9 times out of 10.
    Be it 10 years ago, five years ago or now, Floyd would/will beat Manny either by points or late round stoppage. Pac Man is exciting to watch but his style is made to order for the Money Man.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic. I guess I have to know to respond properly.

Edit: Ah hell, I'll go ahead and say it. I think Mayweather is a complete ass. Having said that, he would beat the stuffing out of Pacquiao, who is a boxer that I actually love. It pains me to say it, but it wouldn't even be a contest at this point.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  18. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mayweather would be a deserved favorite over Pac but Pacquiao has the tools to give him a hard time: he's fast, never stops coming, and is a southpaw

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm being serious. Floyd is scared shitless of fighting Pacquiao. Speculation about the result doesn't matter because Floyd is scared shitless of fighting Pacquiao. Period.

None of you addressed the fact that he has repeatedly ducked Manny, putting stupid-ass roadblocks in front of the fight, accusing Manny of steroid usage, and then talking a bunch of racist shit while waiting for Manny to drop his guard and lose, which he did. He'll retire undefeated with an asterisk by his name because he never dared fight the man who'd beat his ass. Marciano's family can at least say he could not possibly have fought Liston, Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Quarry, Holmes, Holyfield, Shavers, Coetzee, Lewis, Tyson, Wepner or Buster Douglas; none of them were his contemporaries. Floyd, OTOH, deliberately dodged a man when both were in their prime.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Manny lost his last couple of fights didn't he? Mayweather is no doubt an amazing fighter, but like most unbeaten dudes, he's not gonna risk his record easily. Calzaghe was the same

21. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    This is ridiculous.

Ask Oscar De La Hoya, Alex Ariza (Manny's former strength and conditioning coach), and countless others why the fight didn't get made: Bob Arum.

22. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    So you believe Floyd called out Manny in public, talked to Manny's advisors, had his business people talk with Manny's business people and Top Rank and Golden Boy's business people all as some part of an elaborate scheme to not fight Manny?!

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content11249.html

And what motivation do Alex Ariza and Oscar have to lie?

They both wanted the fight. Huge paychecks would be coming to both of them.

23. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I believe the Money-Pacman fight can still happen. But Pacman needs to beat Rios and someone else in May/early June before he maybe gets a shot in November.

Floyd has 4 fights left and there sure as hell arent four quality opponents left.

I think Showtime definitely has a say in who he fights and will push for a Pacquiao fight.

I think Amir Khan is definitely going to be one of those four if he can get past Devon Alexander. The money to be made in that fight is just too big to not happen.

Not sure who the other three will be.

Danny Garcia? Tim Bradley?

24. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley takes down Marques. Nick off, Glenn Feldman.

25. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #125 Pelefan, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    Manny Pacquiao's dominating style is back. Rios didn't stand a chance and got so beat up and frustrated that he decided to quit a minute into the final round. Pacquiao saw this and let up again carrying him for the rest of the round which annoys the heck out of me. I don't think he realizes that his opponents won't return the favor if they had the chance or maybe he does and still does it anyway. Manny also seems to have learned his lesson from the Marquez debacle, not giving Rios a chance to hit him cleanly while at the same turning Rios into a punching bag. Who is next? Bradley? Provodnikov? Marquez?(who by the way says that he will never fight Manny again) I prefer Mayweather like the rest of the world does, but not only do we have to deal with the fighters inability to agree on terms and their promoters dislike for each other, but also their rights are owned by different networks(HBO and Showtime). Too many hurdles to overcome.

As for who is ducking who. Well, in the past few years, before he fought Marquez, Manny and his adviser Konz tried their best to make the fight, contacting Mayweather's camp directly, bypassing Arum, even willing to take the lower purse(60-40). Mayweather's response, a flat fee of $40 million with no ppv purse share for Manny in a fight that was supposed to gross more than $100 million on ppv alone. That sounds like Mayweather setting conditions that he knows Manny could not accept and that is exactly what happened. Anybody think that is going to change anytime soon?