Boxing Round 2 [R]

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by soccernutter, Jan 1, 2009.

1. esc0

esc0 Member

May 29, 2012
    Idaho
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's your opinion. As much as I like watching Manny fight, I enjoy watching Floyd just as much. The man is a master at boxing.

USvsIRELAND and unclesox repped this.
  2. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just saw that Thomas Hauser, someone I respect in the boxing writing world, had Bradley 115 - 114. Don't know how I feel about that.

Still, 90% of writers or something like that had it as a Pac victory.

3. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Yeah Hauser is a good writer and very knowledgeable about boxing in my opinion. Unfortunately I can't see how he saw it that way. It wasn't even close, too lopsided in Manny's favor. Anyways, I hope this teaches Manny to stop carrying his opponents. He is just too nice to them. He should finish them off when he has the chance.

As for Floyd, I also watch his fights, although I don't always enjoy it. There was one fight in particular I remember the fans booed him at the arena for running all the time and refusing to mix it up. There is no question though that he is a very good technical boxer, possibly one of the best ever. I think I nearly gagged writing the previous sentence.

Kidding aside, when I use to box, I also preferred to counter rather than trade punches so I do appreciate Floyd's boxing skills.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Problem is, now Floyd can run keep running from Pacquiao for the rest of their careers and hide behind his self-titled "best pfp" facade.

5. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Legendary Olympic boxing champion Teofilo Stevenson of Cuba died on Monday of a heart attack at age 60. :(
    A three time Olympic gold medal champion of the Games from '72, '76 and '80, his career record stood at 302-22.

6. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
  7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Whoa... what could that lead to?

8. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Senators Want Boxing Commission - ESPN

9. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    [​IMG]

Wladimir Klitschko Retains Heavy Belts - ESPN

ChaChaFut repped this.
  10. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    well its Pacquiao Marquez IV in December. Both boxers are promising a knockout this time as they don't trust the Vegas judges to make the correct decision. This might be it for Manny if he can't get Mayweather to fight him next year. Hopefully Pacquiao and Marquez settle the issue finally and one of them gets a decisive win preferably by KO.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  11. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is going to go down to a decision.

12. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    It sounds like that Manny is truly motivated to go for the KO. This is the first time he has ever made a prediction prior to a fight as is mentioned in this article

http://philboxing.com/news/story-75301.html

“I won two of our first three fights, I know it, but a lot of people, including Marquez expressed doubts on the results, so I would like to win this time impressively at pag sinabi kung impressively, by knockout,” Pacquiao emphasized, reiterating what he said in the first leg of the tour in Los Angeles and at the Edison ballroom in New York’s Times Square.

In that article he promised in Tagalog that he will KO Marquez as he is fed up with all the whining coming from the Marquez camp.

13. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he does the work, he gets what he wants. Plain and simple.

14. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, I hope so. My first reaction when I heard about Part IV was that this would be Pacquiao's last money grab fight before heading off into the sunset... and he's probably lose, whether by hook or by crook.

Hachiko repped this.
  15. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So Chavez JR tested positive for weed in his system.... how does that work in boxing? Could he get suspended? Does this ruin a rematch between him and Maravilla Martinez?

16. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Emanuel Steward Dies at 68, Trainer of Boxing Champions - N.Y. Times

os_mutante and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  17. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Reports coming out from the Pacquiao training camp is that he has been looking good and motivated, battering his sparring partners around and forcing one to quit. He seems to have reverted back to the aggressive offence first version of Pacquiao. It does look like Pacquaio-Marquez IV is finally gonna result in KO as both fighters are looking for a decisive result this time.

In other news Viloria unifies the WBO and WBA flyweight crown by knocking out Tyson Marquez in a barnburner of a fight:

18. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marquez finally gets one over Pacquiao by KO. However, I have to note that he still has a losing record against PacMan and needs two more matches going his way to truly leave no doubt that he is back. This is historic because this is the first time Pacquiao has been knocked out in over a decade (1999, Medgoen Singsurat), and Juan Manuel Marquez is only the third fighter to accomplish this feat.

19. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Pacquiao-Marquez: In an epic defeat, Manny Pacquiao shows class and courage
    by MICHAEL D. SELLERS on DECEMBER 9, 2012

[​IMG]

Link http://michaeldsellers.com/blog/2012/12/09/in-an-epic-defeat-manny-pac/

Boxing reveals character, and if there was ever any doubt about Manny Pacquiao’s character, there should be none now. His actions before, during, and after the fight with Juan Manuel Marquez leave no doubt that Pacquiao the human being is blessed with courage, grace, and true (not fake) humility. The myth may have been diminished; the man was not.

Yes, it was painful–horrifically so–to watch Manny go down, felled as brutally as he once felled Ricky Hatton. It was even more painful to watch Jinkee Pacquiao scream, crying as she tried to claw her way into the ring. The images still haunt, and will continue to haunt the collective consciousness of Pacquiao fans for many years.

But those images tell only a small sliver of the story of what we saw last night.

The Fight

First, let’s look at the fight.

Manny Pacquiao knew the risks and he accepted then. Marquez is at his most dangerous as a counterpuncher — in fact his entire craft is built around on the need for an opponent who pursues him, so that he can lie in wait and look for the kind of openings that are inevitably created by an aggressive fighter seeking to “get off first” against an opponent. Pacquiao knew this. He knew aggressive pursuit of Marquez played directly to the Mexican fighters’ strengths. Knowing this, he could have taken another strategy. He could have waited Marquez out, forcing his opponent into the uncomfortable position of having to initiate the action. But Pacquiao didn’t do that. He wanted a clear decision, and he was willing to take the risk. He took the fight to Marquez.

An early indication of the risk Manny was accepting came in the third round when Marquez floored him with a counterpunch. This was a shocking moment — but shouldn’t have been. It was part of the calculated risk that Manny was taking. In order to get a clear decision and silence the doubters, he had to risk getting knocked down, or even knocked out. And in that first knockdown, Marquez proved he had sufficient power in his punches to take Manny out.

Yet Pacquiao kept coming.

And winning.

In the fifth round he knocked Marquez down and bloodied his nose so badly that it was clear it was broken, and clear that Marquez was having trouble breathing.

When the end came, Manny was ahead on all three scorecards 47-46 and was about to be ahead 57-55 after dominating the sixth round.

Manny was decisively ahead on all Compubox statistics.

So make no mistake — Juan Manuel Marquez won the fight in a spectacular fashion — but he did not administer a beating to Manny Pacquiao. The truth: Manny Pacquiao was administering a beating to Marquez when he became overconfident and walked into an overhand right that ended it in one punch. It was a punch that reflects Marquez’ unique counterpunching skill set; his intelligence; and his strategic approach to boxing. But he only got the opportunity to use those skills in such spectacular fashion because Pacquiao had the guts, courage, and heart to go after him.

After the Fight

Manny was out cold when he hit the canvas and there was not the slightest possibility that he could stand up and beat the count. The blow was that decisive. The only question — and it was a real one — was whether he had been truly injured in a frightening way. He lay on his face for what seemed like an eternity, but was probably a full minute before slowly being helped to a stool.

There, sitting on stool, the glaze slowly receding from his eyes, what did Manny do?

He smiled.

Not the false-bravado, “he didn’t hurt me” smile that beaten boxers so often present.

It was a rueful smile, an honest smile that said “he got me, didn’t he?”

As soon as he was able, he got up, waded into the crowd that had poured into the ring, and congratulated Marquez. Then he stood and waited his turn for post fight interviews. When his turn came, he was honest, reflective — and most impressively, he seemed to have already put everything in perspective far better than millions of distraught fans. ”It’s boxing,” he said. ”That’s sports.”

In the HBO post-fight interview, Larry Merchant fished hard, trying to get Manny to take the bait on the issue of the possibility that Marquez was juicing. Twice, rephrasing it slightly each time to be sure Pacquiao knew what he was implying, he tried to get Pacquiao to say there was something unnatural about Marquez’s power in this fight — power that had become suddenly much greater after a training camp in which he hired a known purveyor of performance enhancing drugs–Angel Heredia–to be his strength and conditioning coach.

But Manny did not take the bait.

He would not diminish Marquez in his moment of glory, nor would he make excuses.

What It All Means

Manny Pacquiao did himself, the Philippines, and boxing proud last night. He showed heart and courage and he took his defeat with dignity, grace, and a sense of perspective.

When Ricky Hatton took a similar blow from Manny, it drove him into retirement; his physical and mental health disintegrated; he contemplated and may have even attempted suicide.

With Manny, you just know you don’t have to worry about that.

The ease and honesty with which he accepted his defeat is Exhibit A to the argument that Manny Pacquiao is a truly humble person. His ego is not so large that it can be crushed by a moment like this. He doesn’t see himself that way. He will be saddened as he reflects on the outcome for one reason — that he disappointed his countrymen, and did so at a time when the country was hurting. But by displaying calm in the eye of the storm, he gave his countrymen something to be proud of, even in defeat.

What Next?

Pacquiao will consider retiring. He is already on to the next phase of his life, and there are greater battles to fight, greater causes to champion.

But he will not want the final image of Manny Pacquiao in a boxing ring to be that of him lying face down, defeated.

My expectation is that his career will enter a new phase — not the perfection of the past 7 years, but one that is as exciting, and rewarding for both Manny Pacquiao and his fans.

There will be a Pacquiao-Marquez 5 — the boxing world is already buzzing about it and after the spectacularly explosive 4th edition, the tickets and PPV numbers for a fifth fight will be huge. Going into PM4 there was a sense that these two were locked in a repetitive cycle of close fights decided on the judge’s scorecards, and if this fight had repeated that pattern — there would be little call for a fifth fight, no matter who won. But playing out the way it did, and ending in such spectacular fashion, there is a sense that the course that a fifth fight would take cannot be predicted — and that is what would make it special.

Remember This

Something occurred to me this morning when I woke up, images of the fight still vivid.

When Pacquiao fell, he didn’t end up on his back — he fell forward.

Why?

Because Manny Pacquiao got caught with a punch when he was pursuing his opponent, being the aggressor, never letting the fight be brought to him, but rather bringing the fight to his opponent.

There is honor in that.

He fell forward because that is his direction in the ring, and in life.

There is no doubt that he will continue moving forward. He has already helped the Filipino people by inspiring, giving a sense of what is possible through hard work and diligence. But Manny has always been a work in progress, as a boxer and as a human being. This moment is not the one he sought, but it has revealed more of his character than we have seen previously — and there is every reason to like what we see, and to continue to believe in him, perhaps not as the greatest current boxer on the planet — but as a humble, honest, respectful and courageous person who gave it his all, came up short, and took it with class.

The easy, glorious ride that Manny Pacquiao was on for most of the last 9 years is clearly over. Now it’s a different situation; no one always gets what they seek to achieve, and Manny Pacquiao’s long road to this moment has prepared him for it. He faces life with a smile and even in defeat, the smile is there. These days, he is Theodore Roosevelt’s “Man in the Arena“:

The poorest way to face life is to face it with a sneer. There are many men who feel a kind of twister pride in cynicism; there are many who confine themselves to criticism of the way others do what they themselves dare not even attempt. . .It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Manny Pacquiao stumbled, there is no doubt — but equally there is no doubt that he “dared greatly”, and will continue to do so.

He deserves respect and honor.

USvsIRELAND and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  20. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Did Hatton really try to kill himself??

21. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Reading that article... one has to wonder if with how Pacman got knocked out in similar fashion to him...and how he's handled that....shows him he shouldn't be so hard on himself... because what Pacman is feeling...surely is more than he had to have felt.

22. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Pacquaio has a lot to look forward to outside of boxing. In fact that is the main reason, he is garnered so much attention and respect. He has transcended boxing to become a respected political and world figure. Because of that, I don't think he will ever suffer Hatton's fate.

Having said that, despite his gracious acceptance of his defeat, I think deep down, he is itching to come back into the ring to avenge this loss. No self respecting all time great will ever consider retiring after such a devastating loss. I think it will tarnish his legacy if he doesn't come back.

Besides a rematch between Marquez and Pacquiao has the potential to break existing PPV records, if you consider how the last fight ended, probably second only to a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight before Pacquiao lost. I bet they can sell out Cowboy stadium(100,000 capacity) in Dallas, TX where a lot of Mexicans live and is close to Mexico, if they held that fight over there.

As for Hatton, I hope he puts his life together. Many of his fans are concerned of what will become of him now that he has decided to retire again after losing his last fight against Senchenko, because he is such a vulnerable person psychologically.

stellarboy and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  23. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question is.....does Marquez fight Pacquiao now or does he fight Mayweather first?

If Arum and Mayweather were smart, they would work together to have Mayweather fight Bradley and have Marquez- PacMan v5 then the winner of both fights fight each other.

It would be the perfect ending for Mayweather, Marquez and Pac.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  24. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won't because they don't get along.