Box Goals being installed at Gillette

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by MLSFan123, Mar 28, 2014.

1. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little confused as to what they mean... All of the "box goals" I've seen look pretty much the same, with the only difference being maybe a different color netting or something like that. I don't know what they mean with the "3 support poles" and the talk of painting them different colors certainly means that they will be visible.

Or are they talking about those thin metal stakes at the back of the goal (usually there are just 2) that hold up the top corners of the net? If that's what they mean, leave them white, like the rest of the goal frame.

3. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The three supports are the metal posts behind the net. One is tied to one corner of the net, one is tied to the middle and one is tied to the other corner.

Some systems use two, some use three

4. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I say red/blue hoops would look best.

5. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 Alan, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    ummm, wow? Box goals? So soon? I'd say keep the poles simple ...

mword.jpg

Are the high school player benches staying? How's the electronic field signage installation going? Yawn.

6. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Somewhere Chris Allen is similing.

CatKeelan, Jayfil, Weber King and 5 others repped this.
  7. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The advent of soccer benchwarmers getting the ready room chair that Tom Cruise would sit in if he was an actual Navy pilot today is one of the worst things to happen to sports in my lifetime.

rkupp and teskicks repped this.
  8. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6 poles? 6 states. Design each pole to match one state. Maybe use the same color scheme (red, white, and green?) and just put the state names on there with a small state flag on either side.

Crooked repped this.
  9. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Cool idea. I dig it.

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, like at the political conventions, where people are holding vertical signs with the names of states. It would be a nice touch.

11. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    When you say electronic field signage, do you mean the boards bordering the field with the constantly changing ads, sometimes with images of things moving along the field? I would actually must prefer they not get those, I don't like them at all. I have no desire to have signs around the field that are constantly moving, distracting the eye from the game itself. Newer/more modern doesn't always mean better.

12. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're not nearly big enough to do that. They're tall, really skinny posts. Take a look at the picture from Sporting Park above.

13. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well, they could just put the state names vertically down each post, though Masachusits, 'er Massichoosits, 'er, the state where the Revs play could be a bit long to fit.

As for flags, I do like the idea, it sounds cool, but if you put anything larger than one of those little hand held flags that are only a few inches wide, then it could block the view of those behind the goals. If it were allowed, even little flags like that would be cool though, even if they were only seen by most in camera closeups on TV, as a backdrop for something they're talking about. Then again, regarding larger flags, how important to the team are those fans back there, the ones who sit there probably because they can't afford the nicer seats on the side, if not the club seats? ;)

14. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I'm glad to see box goals coming in. The HS goals were always an eye soar to me personally. It's a small thing, but one that educated fans do notice.

In terms of the field boards (regardless of appearance) the modern electronic field board allows for more advertising and inventory that the Revs FO can sell and bring $$ into the club. Gillette is loaded with possible advertising inventory and the Revs FO rarely takes advantage of it for the Revs. I don't see that changing in the near future for some reason. It still boggles my mind.

Crooked repped this.
  15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying that the Revs are too lazy to make the effort to bend down and pick up a $20 bill on the sidewalk, yet if a dime fell out of their pocked and started rolling down the sidewalkm, they'd chase it to Timbuktu if they had to?

Yeah, that sounds about right...

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Listen, everything the Revs do is wrong, and everything they don't do is right. Get with the program. ;)

17. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And everything the Revs do is 100% right according to you.

18. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm well aware that they might be able to make more money using ad boards like that, after what would no doubt be an expensive initial investment btw, but what's best for the Revs revenue isn't always what's best for my experience.

Now if the Revs said that getting those boards would be the first of only 2 or 3 steps to definitely getting a real, impactful DP, I'd offer to drive to wherever they're made, strap them on the roof of my car and deliver them to the stadium.

19. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's agree to disagree. :cool:

These things are part of the evolution of modern professional soccer. When the rest of your league operates to a standard, (high backed Corinthian leather player chairs embroidered with the team logo and LED signage ringing the field in TV camera view) and you're one of the last teams to put these in place (see box goals) then don't be surprised to one day wake up and read that you're ... "TWOITL".

20. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I understand where you're coming from, but for me, I don't like upgrading to newer, unless newer really is better. If they did get the new signs, I wouldn't come on and rant about it, it would be the least of my worries, I just prefer not having them.

As for the seats, I don't know that they could do anything differently in a shared stadium. Those leather seats you see are installed in purpose built stadiums, I can't see them putting those in the first few rows of seats that fans sit in for Pats games, and rolling something like that out would block the view of what some consider the best seats in the house.

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'm not a big fan of more in-your-face ads for the sake of ads, it's really about an opportunity to increase the team's revenue. Part of me doesn't care if the Krafts aren't savvy enough to do things that maximize their revenue, but ultimately, the teams that do this kind of stuff are the ones who are signing the kind of players we can't afford.

22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    You don't read very carefully. Ex., the Revs suck at acquiring and integrating foreign players. I've said so many times.

23. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay one thing. But why do you constantly have to go into threads when someone makes a bad comment about Kraft and defend Kraft. You are like a lot of Bruins fans who still to this day defend Jacobs even thought he is a terrible owner. Who is being covered up by a really good team. And Jacobs is still making the same terrible decisions he made a decade ago.

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But think of all the things the Krafts do right!
    [Roger Rabbit] Let me count the ways: One-one thousand, two-one thousand, three-one thousand...[/Roger Rabbit]

At this point, I would prefer Jeremy Jacobs over Jon Kraft. At least Jacobs seems to have learned a few things over time.

25. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jacobs learned if he gets a salary cap and has competent people running the team(Neely,Chia and Julien) he can make a lot more money with deep playoff runs. Oh and have a lockout every 7 years he can make more money. Then after the success raise ticket prices by 46%.

But the one good thing Jacobs has learned is actually let the people run the team they way a team should be run and not run to the league minimum anymore. If Krafts lets the people in charge run it higher than bear minimum most people would be just bitching about the stadium situation.