Boston Breakers vs FC Safari - 04/05/09

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by REVS FAN 1, Mar 31, 2009.

1. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was generally disappointed in the Breakers backline, I thought with the experience back there, including Luckenbill, they would be a lot more composed. They spent a lot of the first half chasing the ball and the GP players. Lots of whiffs and giveaways. Mitts and Scott didn't look like Nats defenders in this game. Moore didn't look like she belonged at this level, surprised it took so long to put Weber in.

Smith is the real deal, and Lilly is just amazing. When Bishop came on, she gave some spark and presence on the right that was missing with Hucles, who seems much better suited to play somewhere in the middle rather than flank.

First game, exciting match to watch, they can only go up from here!

2. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it was a very disappointing performance by just about everybody but Kelly Smith. Lucky looked like a deer caught in headlights and easily could have given up two more goals through panicked decision making. Mitts needs to stay home more. Too much business done in her area. Tony looked like he was waiting for the cabana boy to bring more mojitos. Lets hope Joe didn't like what he saw either because the standard needs to be raised, quickly!

3. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys have one of the best players in the world in Kelly Smith. She showed nice moves, power, speed, and accuracy with that goal she scored.

She outran the goalie to beat her to the ball then came back in and blasted a perfect shot in the top left corner.

Did you notice her teammates didn't exactly swarm to her when she scored? Every goal scored in WPS has resulted in a pretty passionate celebration but that didn't occur here like you would expect when they tied it up.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Seeing how the match ended and Boston looking much better towards the end, I wondered if there were team chemistry issues. All the potential is there, but Gold Pride looked like the better team for much of the match. Kelly Smith showed the ability to take over the match, but I wasn't seeing it from many of the other players. I'm not sure I realized Hucles was playing until she was subbed. A-Rod can't disappear like she did. Mitts? Oh my.

5. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mitts had a great chance for a shot but instead she passed the ball to nobody. LOL!

6. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea. I agree with most. We played like rubbish for 70+ minutes...We didn't deserve the point we had in the bag...we almost snatched three! A just result in the end.

Kelly Smith was the only bright spot on the day.

The term best team "on paper" has been used talking about for a long time...We are IMO clearly the best team in WPS "on paper" and this All Star team we have here played terrible. IDK what it is, too many chefs in the kitchen? I can't believe it's nerves...

We need a leader on the pitch and I think everyone thought that was going to be Lil...It's still early to say but after 90 minutes of soccer it seems to me that Kelly Smith is the leader of this team! Lil has never been the outspoken type of leader...She's much more the lead by example type. If she wants that armband she's gotta step up and settle this team.

Tiff Weimer played like she was trying to prove a point to Tony for passing on her..several times in the draft. IMO she was the best player on the field tonight...

I cannot wait for Saturday to get here. Like Dave said, I cannot imagine Joe, Tony or for that matter the players feel that this was an acceptable performance...

I think St. Louis is in for a long night this Saturday...

:D

7. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the Mitts I loved to see when she played in Philly, not the one I want to see playing for the Breakers. :(

With older, slower, but savvy players the FC What the ******** pulled out a win. :(

Hucles was hidden back in the midfield; either get her up front or bring her in later.

Smith impressed, but I worry about injuries.

Lucky should not be a starting 'keeper in this league.

WTF was Tony wearing? I've seen less stretched sausage wrappers. :rolleyes: Get the next size up, please.

8. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say bench Latham and start Kelly Schmedes. Latham did nothing all game.

9. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very impressed with Smiths effort and her goal was awesome.

10. danigirl9

danigirl9 New Member

May 3, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I'd give Kasey Moore a spot on the bench right next to Latham. She was dreadful!

11. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I third the Latham review: Stinky.

12. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I was very disappointed in A-Rod, too, since I had heard such a build up for her. There was no mid field and lackluster from the forwards with the exception of Kelly Smith.

13. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A-Rod did have that burst of speed to catch up to that pass from Smith and she got off a pretty good shot but other than that she was mostly MIA.

14. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I agree with whoever said Mitts needed to stay home more but in the pre-game she talked about how much the coach wanted her going forward (a lot). Sometimes coaches have to get what they ask for, good and hard, before they 'see' what they should really ask for. Lots of potential was showing but my take was a pre-season compressed by late arrivals and just rudimentary getting to know each other has left fitness issues and a lack of a deep collective consciousness -- with both of those probably getting fixed as the weeks go by? To really draw fans in this league can't have matches that go flat through the middle like this one did. Mrs. Dom. FC (not her real name) is a very informed and serious soccer consumer and she went and worked on the computer while glancing up at the match once in a while after about the 50th minute.

15. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    I expect much more out of this team. It took them an incredibly long time to settle down, they were frantic, they were making aimless clearances when they had time for intelligent passes... just sloppy. There were some causes for optimism, most of them named Kelly Smith. She delivered as expected. Lilly had some nice plays (but some atrocious corner kicks). They showed signs that they'll be an exciting team once they get their act together. Let's just hope that happens before next weekend.

16. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree the best players on the pitch today were Smith, Schmedes, Bishop, and Weber. Lilly, centerbacks, A-Rod, Scott and Lucky played sub-par but not as horrible as others. Mitts has already gotten buried on this forum I will simply say she is better than she played and needs to play a lot better. Hucles and Latham all I can say is both of them should have been subbed out at the 30 minute mark they didn't defend well or contribute to the attack. I remembered Moore being in the graphic in the starting lineup and literally didn't not see her again until she got subbed out, did she even touch the ball?

Smith proved why she is the highest paid player on the team. Gritty, guttsy performance and took over the game in the last 15-20 minutes.

17. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I agree, this was really a fun game to watch! I was glad to see several WUSA players back (Mitts, Lilly, Luckenbill, Goffi) all turning in what I thought were prefectly servicable performances. Other posters are down on Mitts-- I thought she did ok on defense. Others (on the WNT thread) have made the comment that she is clueless as a striker. That was very much in evidence tonight-- however, DiCicco is a great coach and Mitts has a lot of heart-- if he wants her to go into the attack, I say, give them a season and see if they can't work it out... good luck to both!

Lilly is one of my very favorite players EVER, but I did not see what the announcers (or anyone else) were finding to celebrate tonight. (1) My first observation is that after 20+ years in international play, she should be able to take a corner kick! Come on, Kristine, what is that about? Two? Yikes! Also, (2) while she had some strategic moments, she was more noticable by where she wasn't and what she didn't do. As team captain, goal-down, where was the spark? Where was the brilliant flair to lift the squad? I thought she turned in a servicable performance (and no disrespect), but there was not the energy and brilliance she had a decade ago (No shame in that). While she is without question one of the best athletes of her generation, if this quiet player who has always led by example can't bring the goods, maybe Breakers should think about another captain? :( She should not be put in a position, because of name recognition, statistics, and history, to fulfill a role beyond the positive contribution she made tonight, unless she can be successful at it.

I thought Smith was incredible (no one will be much impressed by that insight), and I thought Arod was playing out of her head as well. Really great game by both! I think these two will become household names in the new WPS roster of stars!

Thanks to all for a very enjoyable game!

18. danigirl9

danigirl9 New Member

May 3, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    At least as a defender, Mitts has (somewhat of) an excuse for her non-existent finishing abilities. A-Rod, on the other hand, shoots like my grandmother. I mean I love the girl, but c'mon!

19. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    Mitts was terrible today. Smith was amazing. From the stands it didn't seem like any player on Boston took any sort of leadership role. The player's body language off the ball was defeated... except Smith. She never stopped working hard and talking to teammates. If Boston let's her lead this team will be good, but I'm not sure they will take that role away from Lilly.

20. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I disagree. A great striker doesn't have a good game every time out. I liked what I saw from her tonight. You are right-- she had to find the back of the net, but lets see what her statistics look like at the end of the season. I say this gal will be a Force! We'll see...

21. eastcoastsocer

eastcoastsocer New Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    How in the world could Tony not select Weimer? She played for him in Ct and carried that team. She is one of the best players going forward and would help the Breakers alot. It will be fun to watch Tony with this team which is not the best team. Time to coach.
    Kelly Smith is pure class.

22. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

I like kelly smith, and not only is she talented but she is a workhorse. However she is also one of the dirtiest players out there. Frankly I give her credit because she is effective at it and rarely gets called but she is notorious for grabbing onto other players and literally pulling them off the ball. I guess what i am trying to say that when i think kelly smith, class isn't necessarily my first thought. More like ruthless, in a good way of course ;)

23. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    That's my girl!

:D

24. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I liked her feistiness when she shoved Dew after the play. Reminds me of European soccer where they play like their life depends on it.

25. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Kelly's a lot like Marta, in that you either love her, or you hate her. She's got a nasty temper and acts before she thinks. And she definitely doesn't make any friends on the pitch. Oh, and she NEVER backs down.

[​IMG]

Yellow card, Smith. Campbell from Blackburn didn't have nice things to say about this incident, nor Kelly.

[​IMG]

Players breaking up a scuffle between Smith and a Leeds player. Both ejected, with 3-match suspension.

And both of those incidents happened in this season.

Y'all should expect a fair number of goals, but a fair amount of cards too.