Borussia Dortmund 2013-2014 General Discussion Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by footyfan1, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

How Will Borussia Dortmund Do In The 2013-2014 Bundesliga Season?

1. BVB will take back the title from Pep's Bayern team!

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. BVB will finish in second place by a huge margin again.

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. BVB will finish in second place by a close margin.

14 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. BVB will finish in third place, still making the CL.

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. BVB will finish in fourth place. Go into CL qualifying.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. BVB will finish between fifth or sixth, making the Europa League.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. BVB will finish between seventh and tenth place.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. BVB will be finish between eleventh and fifteenth place. (Really?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. BVB will be in the relegation playoff. (Really?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. BVB will be relegated. (Are you f#cking kidding?)

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  11. I don't know. I just want the season to start!

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You say we were simply AWFUL in Madrid. I say it was because our CL luck simply ran out. I thought we were AWFUL against a bad Olympique Marseille team at Marseille. But luck was with us. In that Marseille match, we were still well "better" than them, but still "awful." It is just that Marseille was even worse. And in the end, lady luck smiled upon KG as he slipped and fell on his ass...........

You call what "folks" are doing "downplaying our injury problems." In my case, I don't accept injury problems as an excuse to expect a good team with a supposedly great coach to go into the tank.

You call it "downplaying our injury problems." I call it "folks" like you being too quick to make excuses for them. But hey, that's what fans do, right??

Sure, there is no question the injury problems played a huge role in some of our issues this season.

What I hate are people (not talking about you specifically here) who make it out to seem the injuries were the only reason we didn't do better.

Sure. We're doing pretty damned good when one takes Bayern out of the equation. However, based on what we've built here, this is what I expect from a good team with a supposedly great coach.

One reason I am grateful for the injury problems is that they have forced Klopp to try different things. He took a long time to do it, but he's finally been forced to do different things. And he seems to be learning. For me, this is a very good thing.

I think this season will help us in the long run. But make no mistake. Klopp's tactial stubborness and the players simply not being properly motivated or prepared cost us more than a few points this season.

The good thing for us is most other Bundesliga teams still are not good enough to make us pay for these shortcomings.

That's another thing I know I probably see another way than most of you. I think the incompetence of the clubs closest to us in the Bundesliga is just a big a factor as how good we are doing when talking about where we are in the BL right now.

However, I am not ranting about this because I don't think this will be such a big issue next season. Not only will we have the players back from injury, I think we will do the roster strengthening this summer that we should have done last summer.

I also still believe some of our issues we had this season are based in what I believe was a conscious decision by Watzke to not strengthen the team as well as they could and should have so they could make the big financial announcement of our being "virtually out of debt."

I think only our luck during our CL run and the inability of other BL clubs to make us pay for our mistakes in the BL kept this from being seen as a much bigger issue.

And I am grateful for this. Because as I said, I think we will be much better prepared next season. I think BVB Management has learned its lesson and will give Klopp more and better tools for next season.........

2. Zarastro

Zarastro Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It would have been nice if she had smiled a few minutes earlier on Lewandowski, when he should have been awarded a penalty. It is true that we were less than impressive during this game, but I don't think we were particularly lucky during the CL this season, in fact in at least two games (away game in Napoli and the second leg against Arsenal) we were really unlucky to loose in the way we did. Still, we beat both Napoli and Arsenal h2h so it wasn't only luck which made us advance.

Indeed, hopefully Klopp will not revert to his old self and he'll get better tools for the next season.

I couldn't agree more, which I was nervous during the winter break. Of course Gladbach and Leverkusen were obviously punching above their weight, but I really thought that e.g. Wolfsburg could end up earning more points than they eventually did in the second half because of their busy transfer period.

Things could have gone differently if other clubs would not have acted as incompetently as they did when they had the chance to become the second power in the BL. I mean the decline of Hamburg is just mind-blowing, they finished above us in Klopp's first season with us and they are among the 20 clubs with the highest income even without! CL-money in addition to many wealthy HSV-fans who don't mind borrowing them money.

I expect it to be more difficult to finish behind Bayern, let alone winning the BL than it used to. Wolfsburg is going to invest heavily this summer even without CL-Qualification, and if they end up qualifying it could get quite ugly for us.

Not to mention that RB Leipzig is coming and no one knows how much RB is willing to invest there... .

MatthausSammer repped this.
  3. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hey mod, where's my rep button?

I'd like to rep this..

4. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  5. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    dude you are killing me. right click on the picture, "copy URL" the click on the image icon when you post, then past the url.
    Code:
    http://i.imgur.com/3S4k5TO.jpg
    [​IMG]

Zarastro repped this.
  6. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Probably because I post from the phone most of the time, this function doesn't work for me. It just says "IMG" instead of showing the actual image. It works on the computer though.

Lahmfan repped this.
  7. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    oh you are excused then! (although there is a way of doing on the phone but its a bit complicated and long)

8. Zarastro

Zarastro Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It just irritates me that footy is still claiming that we were somehow lucky to survive the GS when we were incredibly unlucky to not have done it sooner/with less suspense. Sure, Gk got a goal which does not happen often the way it did, but before this we were quite unlucky e.g. when Marseille got awarded a clear off-side goal, or Lewandowski was denied a penalty.

Vlad S. repped this.
  9. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Please do confide. I don't like to be forced into n00b status; this site needs better mobile support

10. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

WE WERE LUCKY IN THE END!!

Bring up all the "if" and "we should have" shit you want. In the end, WE ONLY MADE IT OUT because KG scored a goal while falling on his ass! If that goal does not happen, we were out!

And if you haven't guessed yet, I don't give a rat's ass how much you get "irritated" by my opinion.

11. Zarastro

Zarastro Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We made it out because we were the better team. If Gk had failed to score, perhaps e.g. Schieber would have scored. In the end we got a goal which was neither undeserved nor out of the blue. We were simply unlucky to not score sooner. Just because Gk's goal was quite unusual doesn't mean the victory was lucky. Marseille would have been very lucky if they had got away with a draw here. There were times we were lucky this season (the semi-final of ther German Cup e.g.) but the victory against Marseille was hard-earned, not lucky.

I am just telling you how I think about this perception of yours and why. Obviously you don't need to agree with me (indeed where would be the fun in that) but we can still argue with arguments. It is clear that you were unhappy with the decisions our management made (specifically with the lack of depth et al.) and I largely agreed and still agree with you here. But it seems to me as if this perception is unconsciously negatively influencing your judgement during this season.

You are one of my favourite writers on this forum and your posts are very interesting for me to read, this is just an impression I got while reading your many posts over the time.

12. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Saw this on Facebook a few days ago. I thought it was funny.

13. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Few days ago? I remember this from when Lewy officially signed for Bayern.

Bluecrux and Boandlkramer repped this.
  14. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Being better than Marseille isn't saying much. We were the better side. But in the end, we were lucky.

Acknowledging we were lucky is not saying we were not the better side. I think some of you guys are just so damned offended by having anything we got being called luck that you jump to conclusions about the statement.

I'm sorry man. You keep talking "perhaps" and "if." I saw what happened man. Not what "should have happened." What actually happened.

Shit man, everyone can claim "Well, if we had done this", "If this shot had gone in", or "If luck had been with...." In the end, this stuff means absolutely nothing.

In the end, what actually happened is what matters. Not what you think could or should have happened.

And what happened was we only got out of the group stage because KG scored a lucky goal while falling on his ass. That's not a "claim" by me or my "opinion."

This is what actually happened. Is it not?

And I recall having this exact conversation with someone else. I believe "PolishDortmund."

We don't need to keep it going. I'll happily agree to disagree........

We can. But aren't you the one who said you get "irritated" when I put certain things down to luck??

Your comment about being "irritated" by this opinion is what brought out the angry comments from me.

If that's what you think, it is clear you know nothing about me. I call each situation as I see it. If I think one situation ties into another, I'll say this and back up my reasoning for it.

I think what you can't get your head around is that I am not a "normal fan." I let everyone else talk about the good and the hopeful. You guys cover this stuff well. I'll chime in there when I can. I like to talk about the things "normal fans" like to make excuses for or even at times completely ignore.

I was once on the media side of this. I also got to meet players and people who run clubs and football associations and talk with them extensively about what they do in the game. I don't take the same view most "normal fans" do anymore. I don't try to do not do this. It is just how I became after seeing the game from the inside.

Most "normal fans" call me "negative." This "irritates" me, but I live with it. I know they just don't get it and if they ever saw the side of the game I saw, they'd understand the things I say and why a bit better.

This is also why I get on BVB Management at times for managing more like fans than professionals at times. Especially when I say it is clear they make many decisions with just the "best case scenario" in mind. At times it is clear they "hope" far too much for professionals.

Yes, I believe this is one of the major reasons they didn't do what they needed to do in the transfer market this past summer. That's not the basis of my feelings of the entire season. I feel we were lucky many times during this CL run because that's what I saw with what I like to believe is an unbiased eye.

I don't mean to come across as if I'm somehow "better" than "normal fans." No. This is not what I mean at all. But I am different. I don't expect everyone to understand how and why I'm different. However, it does bother me when someone tries to psychoanalyze (no, I don't know if this is actually a word or not. Nor do I expect you to worry about whether I'm "bothered" or not. LOL!) me when it is clear they don't know the entire story.

Trust me. One issue is not influencing every opinion I have about a season.

Your impression is wrong. Thanks for your other comments.

15. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I only saw it a few days ago. I was only talking about when I saw it. Nothing else.

16. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, I saw it last season too.

17. PolishDortmund

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    #1492 PolishDortmund, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    You mean we were lucky against Marseille because we scored a weird goal in 86th minute?

What about being unlucky when Lewandowski missed the open net, Reus missed the goal from close range or he hit the post?

It seems like you focus on one specific moment of the game and can't let go of it. Yes, if we only take that one moment into consideration, we were lucky that went in. But through those 90 minutes we were unlucky more times than we were lucky.

I can't undestand how anyone can call that a lucky win. We were lucky to win in Freiburg 1-0, we were lucky to win 2-0 and 2-1 against Wolfsburg in recent weeks.

There was no luck involved in the Marseille game. We created plenty of scoring chances and we finally used one of them, no less, no more.

18. Zarastro

Zarastro Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It also did not hurt that we have beaten both Napoli and Arsenal h2h.

Maybe. But one "lucky" goal doesn't mean we were lucky on this day. Of course if you want to call it lucky when the referee makes two critical wrong decisions against you... . Of course every team needs some luck to be successful and we were lucky quite often in e.g. both games against Wolfsburg not so long ago. But I don't think it is appropriate how much emphasize you put on the factor of "luck" regarding our GS. We were anything but lucky in two of our games against Napoli and Arsenal, and won the other two deservedly. And there went too much against us in the final game against Marseille to call our advancement lucky for my liking. I were to agree if Marseille had scored a legitimate goal and Lewandowski had received and then consequently missed a pk, but not the way it happened.

Perhaps I used the wrong word here. I meant to say "irritiert", not annoyed or anything "irritated" implies according to a dictionary I just now consulted.

19. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You mean the moment which ACTUALLY DECIDED THE MATCH AND WHETHER WE WOULD ADVANCE OR NOT??

I can't see why I would focus the most on this. You know, since if it doesn't happen, all the other shit you talk about wouldn't have mattered either???

It isn't that I'm harping on one thing. It is that you just don't want to get it. It has to be something else. Not what ACTUALLY HAPPENED.......

20. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet, if KG's goal doesn't happen, none of this mattters, does it??

21. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not really sure I understand your argument. On the one hand you're saying that it doesn't matter what could've happened, only what did happen, therefore taking luck, and all the unlucky events that happened to us, out of the equation in hindsight, since what happened is what mattered. Then you turn around and put luck back into the equation by suggesting that Großkreutz's goal was lucky? So then the stuff that worked against us doesn't count because what happened happened while the stuff that worked for us does and therefore we were lucky in the CL campaign? Sounds like a double standard, but maybe I'm not getting it.

bvbSlash repped this.
  22. PolishDortmund

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    What a silly, silly argument. So I guess all close wins by one goal margin are lucky because if that one moment wouldnt hapeen the team wouldnt win. Think about what you're saying ...

The win against Marseille was one of the most deserved wins in CL this season and probably the one in which the luck was against us through almost the entire game. And you dare saying we were lucky because of one situation out of dozens. lol

bvbSlash repped this.
  23. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You say that you are pessimistic but you're making yourself a laughing stock. Our CL luck ran out? We were a hellava lot luckier last year. This year we had to fight tooth and nail for our points. If we hadn't been unlucky against Napoli and Arsenal, we wouldn't have needed to be lucky against Marseille.

Our injury problems were unusual. How many teams have 3 of their best players out for the season, another 6 others sporadically in and out and still compete across all 3 fronts? Sure we have a great coach but a coach doesn't score goals. There's only so much JK can do. We lambasted him towards the end of fall and early winter and probably trolled this site, used Chrome translator and picked up on the cues.

Most BuLi clubs aren't good?!?! You're kidding right? Most EPL clubs aren't good either. Neither are most Serie A clubs or La Liga clubs. That's why they end up where they are in the table. You're looking at what Bayern have done to the lower level teams and thought "well shit, we couldn't do that". That's because Bayern have the tools to get it done. They have direct players and creative players. We only have direct players. Our most creative player might never play again and the 2nd most creative player, putz that he is, left us.

But I do agree with you that we will be better next season. If anything our mgmt team at least learns and improves if ever so slightly. With a healthy line-up, I would be very surprised if we don't mount a deep CL run next season.

24. Gundogan92

Gundogan92 Member+

Apr 13, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    2. place secured a bit earlier then expected thanks to Borussia M.

25. PolishDortmund

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Thanks to Borussia Dortmund being just better than the rest you meant. :)

Gundogan92 repped this.