Borussia Dortmund 2013-2014 General Discussion Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by footyfan1, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

How Will Borussia Dortmund Do In The 2013-2014 Bundesliga Season?

1. BVB will take back the title from Pep's Bayern team!

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. BVB will finish in second place by a huge margin again.

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. BVB will finish in second place by a close margin.

14 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. BVB will finish in third place, still making the CL.

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. BVB will finish in fourth place. Go into CL qualifying.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. BVB will finish between fifth or sixth, making the Europa League.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. BVB will finish between seventh and tenth place.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. BVB will be finish between eleventh and fifteenth place. (Really?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. BVB will be in the relegation playoff. (Really?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. BVB will be relegated. (Are you f#cking kidding?)

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  11. I don't know. I just want the season to start!

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  2. Nick (SATVLog)

Feb 15, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Top Wage Bills for Worldwide Sports teams came in today (by Sporting Intelligence) (2012-2013)

Dortmund came in at 47th (1)

- The total wage bill of $103,952,00 (75,278,400.08 Euros). (1)

- The average salary (per player) was $4,158,080 (3,011,136.00 Euros) (1)

- The wage bill rose 14.2% from the previous season (1)

- Total revenues from last season were: 256.2 million euros (2)

Basic division tells us that: 75.3 Million Euros (wage bill rounded up)/256.2 Million Euros (total revenues) means Dortmund spent .293911 or 29.4% of their revenues on wages...

- The questions that need to be answered are:

- How much of the wage bill, and rise of the wage bill, was based on bonuses for getting to the Champions League Final?

- How much of the revenues were based on financial payouts for reaching the Champions League Finals?

- We do know that Dortmund received 54.16 million euros for reaching the Champions League Final (3)
    Dortmund received over 30 million from just the group stages (4)

- Also, the money from the new TV deal and sponsorships need to be taken account for when accessing how much Dortmund can really commit to the wage bill....

- While I am just trying to provide information and not trying to prove anything...I think it is clear that Dortmund are financially conservative to the point where it is and will continue to negatively effect the quality of the team to the point where Dortmund will not be able to reach the the stated goals of the board and there is flexibility and money to invest in the squad

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/10709445/sportingintelligence-global-salary-survey-espn-magazine> (1)

http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GB/...ball/deloitte-football-money-league/index.htm (2)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/8956558/Juventus-gets-biggest-Champions-League-payout (3)

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/Finance/01/97/52/97/1975297_DOWNLOAD.pdf (4)

chewz and BVB1989 repped this.
  3. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You raise some interesting questions. First, I do find these numbers to be different from what is in our annual report.

It lists a total wage bill of 106.216mln. Professional squad wages of 87.667mln an increase of 22.686mln. This would represent an increase of around 35%.

I have also seen a number of 253mln ex player transfers being used rather than 256. Our total wages therefore represented nearly 42% of revenues and player wages 34%.

I highlight this not to say BVB mgmt isn't conservative, but they are not necessarily irresponsibly conservative.

footyfan1 and chewz repped this.
  4. PolishDortmund

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Soo Schalke dropped points against Stuttgart as I expected them too. 6 points with three games left? No way we are giving it away. 2nd place is ours, job well done! :cool:

5. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the information!! I couldn't follow it today!!!

6. Zarastro

Zarastro Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Who would have thought that we would wrap up the CL-Qualification 3 mds before the season ends and book a flight to Berlin back in December?

7. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the question is who wouldn't? Really man? What were your expecations? I thought we would actually contend for the title (not done), make a decent CL run (done with a lot of luck even with the injuries) and make a deep run in the DFB Pokal (done).

Bayern is the only team in the BL on our level or above. Should it not have been this way??

8. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope you guys will beat Leverkusen. No feck ups this time, because I want the wolves in the Champions League. :whistling:

Boandlkramer repped this.
  9. Gundogan92

Gundogan92 Member+

Apr 13, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Klopp started to rotate and it is working out well. With everyone back from injury + Ji, Ramos, Ginter (?),..., he should have enough depth for a quality rotation during the entire season. We all saw how Durm, Friedrich, Kirch and Jojić can play when they are needed. Past few seasons rotation was a problem, but I don't think it will be a problem again. Klopp possibly learned something from this injury crisis when he was forced to work with other players more.
    Also, he is experimenting with the formation, 4-4-2 vs. Bayern, 4-1-4-1 vs. Real. Miki on the wing, Jojić on the wing, Aubame as CF, ect...
    These are all good signs for the future...

MatthausSammer repped this.
  10. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Indeed Klopp, to his credit, actually is beginning to show signs of being more flexible and learning from his mistakes.

11. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is the good side of all the injuries we've suffered this season. Klopp was finally forced to sink or swim. He seems to be swimming so far.

However, we'll see if he reverts to his old ways next season when he starts with a full roster again.

12. Nick (SATVLog)

Feb 15, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any thoughts on Manchester United firing David Moyes...with Klopp as Manchester United's preferred choice (even though Klopp has denied interest in any job (Barca and United)....honestly with their players his preferred style of play wouldn't either team

13. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Imagine Giggs and Xavi trying to press hard against the opposition Klopp-style. :D

14. PolishDortmund

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    That's one way of looking at it. I don't share your perspective. You say it was luck even with the injuries. I say it was great character of the team and quality we have despite the injuries. Saying it was lucky is disrespectful for the team. We fully deserved that quarterfinal. Doesnt matter if we scored a winning goal in dying minutes of the game against Marseille. We were unlucky in Neapol and against Arsenal at home but we still managed to do the job.

As for contending for the title it would be only possible for us with all players healthy. They weren't and we didnt have a chance of competing with Bayern because of that. Why they weren't healthy is a different matter that needs to be solved.

15. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Manchester United talk is going on at the Other Teams' News thread.

I don't think anyone who thinks about these situations much really puts much stock in "Klopp to Anywhere" rumors.

Of course, anything can happen in life. However, I know I honestly believe there is only one job Klopp will leave Borussia Dortmund for.

This would be Joachim Löw's current position.........

Berchtesgaden and Vlad S. repped this.
  16. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You and I have had this discussion/argument. I'm not doing it again. Agree to disagree.

17. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Weird, I though exactly the same thing a few days ago when these silly rumors were popping up left and right.

But then I also thought that Klopp will be missing out on an at least weekly adrenaline rush that he seemingly loves so much, which Nationaltrainer job cannot provide. It's a boring job with only a month every two years of intense pressure and excitement, paired with boring fans and lack of regular spotlight in the media. I would love to see him guide the NT but not sure how realistic it will be.

Leadcomic repped this.
  18. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think he used the exact words. But some time ago, Klopp pretty much stated the only job he would consider leaving BVB for is the Germany job.

I honestly don't believe this has changed.

And I am not some crazy Klopp worshipper. I believe BVB will live on even after Herr Klopp eventually departs.

19. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Really hope so. I don't see myself supporting another club team just because Papa Bear is coaching it.

20. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am not a Herr Klopp worshipper either but Dortmund's success and failure is governed a LOT by what JK does before and during matches with this tactics and team selection. We have seen this every year since he has been here. He will never be considered overrated in my eyes. I can't think of a single coach who would be willing to join us and deliver the same kind of success we've had with JK. How many coaches can motivate, demonstrate tactical ingenuity, develop players and adapt when necessary. The fact that he preaches an attractive style of football is just cherry on top. His most endearing quality, however, is that he is still with us. Can't say that about a lot of players we've had at this club nor the front office mgmt.

21. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wouldn't support another team either but I'll always be a fan of him. He's a pretty likeable guy.

22. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree with both of you and @PolishDortmund .... I mean why can't it be both? I was convinced that we would be able to challenge on all fronts, especially after the first 7 league matches. Our season got derailed because of all the injuries and JK having a hard time plugging all the holes. Then it was the strength and character of the team that got us back on track. Some matches matches like the one in Madrid was purely down to us. We were AWFUL. If we had put on a half decent display we'd be getting ready for the semis tomorrow.

I just don't understand why folks downplay our injury problems. Just look at what happened to Napoli and Arsenal.

23. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  24. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  25. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    well boo efing hoo, whatever will we do now? bayern r friends no more. what they gonna do now? start buying our key players?