Boots rubbing

Discussion in 'Player' started by bigdavecox90, Mar 27, 2009.

1. bigdavecox90

bigdavecox90 New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    I have a pair of the latest Nike Vapors, however they kill my feet.

Is there any way of stopping them rub on the backs of my heel? Or anything I can use to stop me getting the most painful blisters?

2. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i get blisters there myself with boots.

first off, either wear two pairs of socks (the reason being, the sock is rubbing against your skin causing friction hence blisters. a second sock means sock rubbing against sock instead of your skin) OR get a pair of Wrightsock anti blister double layer socks. its one sock with two layers. make sure its the double layer version. the coolmesh double layer versions are the best i think, they are the thinnest and keep your feet cool.

[​IMG]

2. also, these help as well:
    --The Vaseline trick (from a soccer coach): "I first have the player remove shoes and socks and then use eye wash to insure that the blister is clean. Often the blister is bleeding before they bother to tell me about it. I then dry the wound with a sterile pad and then apply the 2nd Skin (i suggest the Spenco brand 2nd skin blister pads) over the blister. Next as you described I use medical tape to insure that the 2nd skin stays in place.
    "The bandage is only part of the solution we must now stop the friction. For this I learned a secret from friends who play professional soccer, use lots of Vaseline. I take a big gop of Vaseline and coat the outside of the sock over the area of the blister. I then take another gop and plaster it inside of the shoe. Petroleum jelly will wash out of the sock and it will not hurt the leather or other material of the shoe, but it will absolutely take away the friction and heat. Using this method I have returned players to the game who's socks were bloody from their blisters. The blister is protected and the heat and pain are completely gone." --Jeff Manchester

so if you want to be super adamant about preventing blisters or be able to play with a blister
    1. clean the blister (duh) and make sure its dry.
    2. take a Spenco second skin pad (get them at most thrift stores), apply, make sure its on real good.
    3. get some athletic tape, tape it on real good.
    4. put on sock one, to be ultimately adamant get the sockwright socks i mentioned.
    5. apply vaseline to that sock.
    6. put on your normal soccer sock.
    7. put more vaseline on outside of that one
    8. put more vaseline on inside of shoe
    9. put on your boot.

lol thats what i did when i had a NASTY blister and i was able to play with it.

i think you could get by with just bandaging, 2 socks, and vaseline.

good luck, blisters are a b!tch!

3. bigdavecox90

bigdavecox90 New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    I tried what you said but just with normal socks as I take it the ones you advised are only available in US. However boots still rubbed like mad and gave me a massive blister :(

4. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ouch...did you use vaseline?
    also, have you given the blister time to heal at all? did you break in the boots before playing? perhaps try wearing them around the house one day (clean the soles of course) to break them in some before running around in them....

blisters are caused by friction and moisture....trying to keep the friction from being directed onto your skin is the main goal, and having a sock that keeps your feet dry is helpful.

perhaps you have a specialty running store around? try googling it, i would assume they would have good socks that arnt thick that wick away moisture....and perhaps have something along the lines of the sockwright socks (double layer, anti blister)....also, im just assuming you are from the uk....maybe something like this? http://achillesheel.co.uk/sale.php/clothing/s/socks/hilly_twinskin_anklet_white_blue

ALSO, one thing i noticed on my copa mundials: i looked at where i was getting the blister, and compared that area on my foot to the corresponding area on the inside of the heel of the boot. i noticed there was a seam line of material with stiching in that exact area. Im pretty sure it was that seam and stiching which was rubbing and causing blisters. So i did a little research and found these:
    ENGO® Blister Prevention Patches

[​IMG]
    http://www.tamarackhti.com/friction_management/engo.asp

basically, the are blue slick adhesive patches that you stick to the inside of your shoe or boot. so i used two of these oval patches and stuck them over the seam that i believed to be cutting into my heels, which made the stitched seam smoother and much slicker.

Im not sure if it was the anti blister/ moisture wicking socks worn underneith my normal soccer socks, while wearing a second-skin pad on my blister, coupled with some vaseline on the outside of the soccer socks, on top of using these patches on the inside of my shoe, but my blisters went away.

5. S-T-E

S-T-E New Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    BigDave, I had a very painful, but mostly annoying, blister on my heal 'thanks' to my new shoes as well. It took about three weeks until it was completely healed.

Illdthedj sounds like a real expert on this. I tried what he did as well and it worked for me. Blisters are caused by friction and moist, so the Vaseline story sounds very logical.

What you might give a try is playing with your old shoes until the blister is healed. Then play only one half or just half an hour with your new shoes at a time. Your local drug store might have special blister band-aids. Maybe that could help as well.

To heal your blister faster: I walked around all day without a sock over my heal. Give it some fresh air, it really helps. Keep your blister dry. After showering, use a blow dryer on low power and enough distance to dry the blister. It shouldn't sting.
    When new skin started to develop, I used just a little bit of moisturizing, nutritious ointment. Just to make sure the dry skin wouldn't crack open.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

6. snolly g

snolly g Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    if you already have blisters, you'll need to give them time to heal. playing in your old boots for the time being is a good suggestion.

for prevention, two layers is probably the cheapest way to go, but the material you use for the inner sock is important.

if it's too bulky, then that will create friction, so the material should be thin.

if it's too loose, then it will slip and wrinkle which could create a hard surface against your skin, so the material should be tightly elastic (compression-fit).

also, some materials are slicker than others. a couple of weeks ago, i picked up a few pairs of 95% olefin socks. (went to a discount clothing store and found some slightly imperfect underarmour socks--$2 for 2 pairs.) this material doesn't catch on anything. i tried wearing them as my outer layer and i wound up slipping right out of my boots so i don't recommend wearing them in place of your regular soccer socks. but wearing them as liners, no problem.