Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floormaster Squeeze

Sep 27, 2007
    Some Hill, VT
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Botswana
    That is a Lego village. They did not include Lego nets.

2. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Two things seemed to go Bobby's way today. Got subbed into the game today and got subbed in instead of player "q"

Tom Collingsworth, LoewenBoy and Gorky repped this.
  3. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    This guy? ;-)

[​IMG]

4. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's been a month and half and ESPN still uses player "q" instead of the real name.

5. HopperKowalski

Aug 16, 2012
    Are we certain that "q" isn't his real name?

6. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    We have no single letter player names.

We *did* have a guy named "f-wad" for a few years, but Arne Feick was cut and went to Bielefeld.

7. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    So 1860 is looking to bring on some fire power. Lauth seems now out of favor with Funkel and Bobby seems to be getting a few chances lately as a result. Funkel seems to want to use the 4-2-3-1 so Friend does not seem to figure in to this formation as much. Management is looking to bring back Peniel Mlapa from BMG. He's under contract until 2016 so BMG is not likely to sell him outright. I am hearing a loan is in the talks now. Mlapa is said to be open to a move BUT is looking for playing time guarantees...this may be a sticking point with 1860.

If this move happens it does not mean the end to Bobby's role at 1860. The wing midfielders (Adlung, Tomasov) are not out of hot water, so Bobby could easily slot in there. He could also fit in the the ACM role as a recessed forward which Funkel uses from time to time.

Should be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks. If any moves are made it would be between Jan-Feb when the winter window opens. The ballet for that window beings now. ;)

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  8. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Since that "village" is made of legos I'd guess accommodations would be hard to come by for tourists. ;)

soccersubjectively repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Ha! I am an idiot. The partially constructed Death Star in the background probably should have given it away...

Stogey23 repped this.
  10. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    That or the gigantic bushes in the background that look like something out of Avatar.

In Bobby Wood news, his former U23 team mate Mike Ott is being asked to train with the pro team. Ott is soon out of contract, has been scoring well in the RL and -- given 1860s sorcing issues -- Funkel is willing to take a look at him.

German Fun Fact: If you say his name fast (Mike Ott) is sounds like "Mei Gott", which is Bavarian for "My God!!" :cool:

11. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Bobby played about 25 mins in the 2-1 win at Bochum. Both Lauth and Wood looked lost a bit in the new 4-1-4-1 system. Bobby's third touch and ideas seem to be escaping him at the moment. But since Lauth is doing no better Bobby still has a chance, but he won't get many with play like today. Being dispossessed in open field by a defender is hardly a good omen for a striker with alledged "dribbling" skills. Need better from him.

12. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    When Wood came on I thought he couldnt play worse than Lauth but Wood even managed to do that. He didnt win a single zweikampf. He wasted a 100 % chance on the counter. I dont know but didnt just seem a bit unlucky. He looked like Bayernliga is calling.

13. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    He was obviously sent on to press, contain and hold possession. He did the first two just fine but he gave the ball away too easy when he had it. That said, so did many other players besides Adlung and Stoppelkamp.

14. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I disagree. I think he didnt press well. I also dont remember him securing just one(!) ball in 20 minutes(!). I read through several German boards and basically all shared that view.

If I was in charge as coach Id reconsider bringing on a guy like him cause at this time you have secure the the balls and play the time down.

He just seems a bit trying too hard during the last games.

15. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    If you rewatch the game after he came in he rarely went beyond midfield unless he or one of the wingers ahd the ball. that's not a player decision, that's a coach's decision. Pressing in general was miserable. It seemed that they would press as a group of 2-3 players but still leave obvious other players open up field. This is a clear sign of players getting comfortable with a new formation and tactics.

As for Wood holding the ball, he held okay AT FIRST. It was when he was trying to create space through dribbling that he failed epically. He let the ball get too far out in front of him or had issues shielding the kugel. That's either nerves or someone trying too hard. He has proven he deserves a chance, but unless he starts doing simple things better Mike Ott (Mei Gott) might find himself ahead of Bobby...and Benny.

16. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do you have the full game? Id really be interested in 2nd half to see that by myself.

BTW who told you the meigott story? never heard that before.

17. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Bandicam and a 12TB NAS array at home. :)

Bunch of guys who watched the Amis highlights on BFV. The announcer keeps saying "Mike Ott, Mike Ott" so fast is sounds like "Mei Gott".;)

Winoman repped this.
  18. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    1860 has won four straight with the new 4-1-4-1 system. Lauth is starting up front but not scoring. Heck, he's not doing much of anything really. The "football god" has been Stahl who has scored the game winner in 3 of four games. Bobby is getting some playing time but not much. There is a rumor that Friend and Hain will leave at the winter break and another striker will be brought on...a first team type.

In the meantime, he's a stream of the guys taking shooting practice. Bobby scores a good one.

http://www.tz.de/sport/1860-muenchen/live-stream-loewen-training-3264879.html

19. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Bobby Wood is on the pitch in 1860-Pauli match right now. He has 24 minutes to score or I will drink heavily. ;)

Tom Collingsworth and ckl26 repped this.
  20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoiler: Bobby did not score. LoewenBoy probably drank heavily.

21. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    It is Christmas, so yes, drank (drinking) heavily.

22. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Bobby is getting a wake up call from Funkel. This brief article mentions Bobby, Tomasov and Hain as being three reserve players who need to step up and play better or else "it will be tough for them to get playing time". I guess Funkel is not seeing what he needs from them during training. Ironically, Lauth (the starting striker) is looking the worst he ever has and yet has little criticism fall on him. Hmmmmm.

http://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de...auf.b1b5dde6-f043-4601-aa40-9701180c4534.html

23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a clear case of "my shit don't stink" syndrome. It's a disease that greatly effects aging, dimensioning veterans that think they still got "it" when in fact their "it" just stinks up the whole joint yet somehow, someway they are immune to that smell.

24. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    In this case it is more the deference that Funkel gives veterans. He has never been known as a guy who develops youth talent. He can spot it and use it, but he does not have patience for the kid-gloving that is done these days. His position is very much the old school German approach: You train, work hard, work your way up and when you get a shot you take it.

Bobby and others seem to be failing at this approach right now under Funkel.

Tom Collingsworth and m vann repped this.