News: Bob Bradley to Aston Villa?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by appoo, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    and the market closes soon anyway so he won't really have to do anything until January which gives him plenty of time to learn up.

2. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    fyp

3. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had doubts about Kevin Keegan, Alan Shearer, and Chris Hughton operating individually in the transfer market let alone Bob Bradley.

I like the DOF set-up because it removes some pressure on inexperienced managers and lets them concentrate on match results. Keep in mind the European transfer window is more complex then just sending over a faxed offer sheet. You need to have connections with agents, players, and other managers. Also I don't imagine having an American manager will be seen as a positive by many European players so a well known DOF might help get some players on board.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    heavy sarcasm.

Bookies need names. Names attract bettors because everyone has some horse in the race.

But, make no mistake, Lerner and O'Neill have turned Villa back into a sub-CL/Europa League level club, steps above someone like Fulham.

And, considering that all the alleged Fulham interest in Bob was a pile of rubbish, chances of Bob making it to Villa Park have to be very slim.

Between the bookies and the gossip columnists, there are enough vested parties to stir the shit up just to leave people with something to talk about.

5. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most English fan still equate the DOF-manager setup as small time. They have this romantic ideal of every club having this genius pitted against another club's genius pulling all the levers of power to lead the club to glory. Its terrible organization. Martin O'Neill has been better than many, but the strong manager role has led some clubs into real financial hardship. If they hadn't been rescued by new ownership Roy Keane might have run Sunderland into insolvency. Portsmouth will be paying for Harry Redknapp's tenure for a long time. Chelsea are the most prominent example of club which follows a pretty strict NFL style heirarchy separating the business of the club from the game management of the club. With money becoming tight, and clubs having to closely configure their purchases around the new EPL roster rules I think you are going to see more clubs adapt the NFL model.

6. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Heard from a reliable source that Bob is going to be annouced as Villa's coach tomorrow at the Brasil game. Also, the leading runners for the USA coaching spot are currently siggi schmid and Jurgen Klinnsman

7. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Please elaborate, care to spill your source? Or at least, what makes them reliable?

8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    And another important question is why Aston Villa would reveal their new manager at an international friendly in the United States instead of, say, at Villa Park?

9. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I saw on SSN just now that Manchester City is the only team in the Premier League with a higher net spending than Aston Villa since Martin O'Neill took charge of the club. And a lot of O'Neill's signings have underperformed.

If this was a power struggle over transfer funds, I might have to side with Lerner on this one.

10. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley has already been mentioned as the #1 candidate on Sky News this morning. First story on the lead in to the commercial. This was the news and not Sky Sports News.

11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Nice.

12. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I guess every person in Britain loved or loves MON, but I think he did a poor job given the talent.

Ibangawhore, Young, Young, Milner, that ginger what failed at chelsea etc etc, the team was stacked with just the right veterans, speed, and youngsters to be very good.

13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    The general feeling I'm getting from the twitter feed on google is that Villa fans are not big on Bradley at all..

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Big surprise there. He wears sweatpants. he is chav. that has to be a plus, right?

15. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    You'd think so, it is pretty comical reading the comments from some of these people. Its along the lines of, "I don't like him, I don't know why, but I just don't."

And as usual, even the respected English press are printing ridiculously misleading titles, such as "Bradley would love Villa job:

Bob Bradley has confirmed he would be keen to coach in Europe after he became the favourite to become Aston Villa manager."

Of course inside the article there is NOTHING that hints at him even talking about the job, just rehashed quotes from before the WC even started about one day wanting to coach in Europe. I will never bash our press after being misled so many times by their rags.

16. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It only takes a couple of wins in the first several games to convince them. They aren't really going to like any new manager, so this isn't a big deal.

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Aston Villa start search for Martin O'Neill replacement

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/8899765.stm

18. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulham interest wasn't rubbish. He was definitely among the small group of candidates that they considered before deciding upon Hughes. This is confirmable by several sources.

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For example:

20. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    the problem is that it is team that has been competing for Euro-places, and has now been strip-mined of talent. The new coach will last 10-12 games and then be fired. I am not sure it is a good gig. Fulham was a much more stable situation.

22. mccscratch

mccscratch Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Bruce... I just dont see it that way... there is loads of talent left on the squad... Milner is way over-rated and the sources say that he is leaving for 18million GBP + Ireland coming the other way...seems a very good bit of business... If they hold on to Young and Gabby... they would be in no way shape or form a bottom 10 club still...

23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    The truth is that Bradley himself said there discussions between the two sides.

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    SFS: where rational discussion goes to die.

25. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did he say that? I've seen him say he was "presented" for the job, whatever the hell that means (as far as I know that means his agent told Fulham he wanted to be considered for the job).