Boardwalk Empire - season 3

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Belgian guy, Sep 9, 2012.

1. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    That one hour of Margaret free television focused on Nucky, Chalky, Capone, and Richard might have been worth over 5 episodes of Margaret and/or women health issues.

That was one hell of a great hour of television. Hope Gyp got to Margaret and we can just stick to ass kicking.

Umar and idreamofpikas repped this.
  2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I cannot wait till next one. Oh baby.

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richard is on the hunt. When he was laying out those weapons I was cheering on the inside and said someone's gonna get shot in the face.

4. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a suggestion.

Alberto repped this.
  5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Finally a Chalky fix. About time.

Recap from NJ.com

• When is Nucky going to acknowledge the fact that whenever the power brokers in A.C. really need help out of a serious pickle, they seek Chalky out? Race relation constraints aside, isn't reallyreally about time now that Nucky officially aligns himself with Chalky and not throw him whatever scraps he'd take? Man, i can not wait to see his supper club.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/...recap_two_im.html#incart_flyout_entertainment

6. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Seriously. Chaulky finally deserved some of what he got. Good to see he stood his ground against Rosetti.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think the fat Masseria goon who showed him his gun is going to have some regrets about his life choices very soon.

Reminded me of when they sent two Gold Cloaks to arrest Barristan the Bold in Game of Thrones. :D

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think the Rudyar Kipling poem would have worked better if they hadn't added the part where Eddie translates it for Nucky. I think it was Crimen who mentioned another instance earlier on in the season where they chose to spell something out for the audience.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Speaking of Richard, what is the most likely scenario for him? I know there will be violence involved, but will he partner up with Nucky & co or go at it alone?
    The most likely course of action from my perspective is for him to go all Travis Bickle on Gillian's cathouse.

10. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me Richard goes it alone and woe will be Gillian if she gets in his way. For all his violence Richard is an extremely moral man. He longs for a good life and loves Tommy, Jimmy's son and that motivation will cause him to take action. He knows Gillian is a bad influence and his relationship with Julia offers the best option for himself and Tommy.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The only problem with this scenario is that it's unlikely he would get out of there alive. Rosetti is using it as his base of operations, so a good deal of the goons he got from Masseria would be there. His skill with fire-arms and his cool under pressure wouldn't be enough to balance those odds in his favor.

12. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richard is smart. Most of Rosetti's guys are out looking for Nucky. I bet Richard takes action when only two or three guys are there.

Gillian is stupid and delusional if she thinks she will get run of her brothel under Rosetti.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think she already very much realizes that, as was shown in the final episode.

14. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think Richard will be unknowingly helping Nucky out. He will be killing guys on his own, taking them down little by little....

15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is absolutely correct. She certainly realizes that Rosetti is unstable to put it mildly and someone she can't control.

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Likely it was her extreme hatred for Nucky that temporarily blinded her to the realities of aligning herself with Gyp.

17. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She had to realize that the actions she set into motion would leave her no viable end play. She sold Nucky out to Rosetti. Nucky knows that. By even temporarily siding with Rosetti, she has to hope Rosetti gets killed. Otherwise she has to know she is one comment that makes Rosetti question his intelligence/inferiority from death.

18. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't take long for Nucky to get back on top.

19. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Well, Richard is like Rambo I guess. A bit too unrealistic.

So does Rothstein now go to jail and with Maserino man killed, will he want revenge?

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Richard's revenge is the kind of scene where they trade off realism for awesomeness.
    It kinda reminded me of the final gun fight in L.A. Confidential, where Exley and Bud somehow both survive a chaotic firefight with a bunch of dirty cops. If it's done well enough, I'm willing to suspend disbelief.

21. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I thought it worked perfectly. Great season finale. Is this the end for Nucky and Margaret? I think so.

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I honestly am trying to figure out the point of extending their relationship for another season after the highway debacle... Especially if the idea was always for them to break up anyway.

23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they keep things somewhat historically accurate as they've previously done....no.

As for the finale, I can't quite put my finger on why but I thought it was good but a bit anti-climactic. Maybe it was because the penultimate episode was so great.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    My favorite online comment about Richard's revenge:​
    It's the kind of killspree that would get you booted from a server. :D

25. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I liked it, quite it a bit, as season finale's go. The tradition in big cable shows has been to have the penultimate episode for a season deliver the bodies and action, with the actual finale sewing up the loose ends. But this one actually delivered on action and major character arcs and bodies bodies bodies.

That said:
    --Don't quite understand how or why Mellon would be a) interested in having anything to do with Nucky after the crazy bodycount in AC, which I can't imagine he hadn't heard about; or b) would want to do Nucky any favor regardless of the above, because he just wanted Nucky to run the distillery and never hear from him again. I know Stephen Root was whispering in his ear, but I just don't get it.

--I also have to assume they will have to get the distillery up and running and then draft some paperwork linking Rothstein to the distillery in order to arrest him? I'm no lawyer, but I'm not sure a phone call where some dude who doesn't own the distillery tells some other dude "You now have 99%" is legally binding.

--I really like the Joe Masseria (sp) and Rothstein characters, and I totally buy their getting into business together despite Masseria's misgivings -- but I don't buy their deal taking place in front of Lucky and Meyer -- which seems to be staged purely to humiliate them, complete with a surprise cameo by the fake cops. These are two big players and it just seemed odd to have them play that out for the benefit of (from their perspective) two small timers.

--No Van Alden / Capone / O'Banion closure?

--Thank goodness Gillian is gone. When she showed up in the hallway though I was about to throw my shoe through the TV.

--I really liked the re-kindling of the Nucky and Eli relationship. A lot. But then they show up by themselves to take on Gyp?

--And I'm glad Gyp bought it -- but how does that guy not tell Gyp "That's for my cousin?" In fact, he says something like "Sorry -- I had to..." What? Gyp bashed his relative to death in front of and in spite of him. That was unsatisfying.

I know that sounds like a lot of griping, but I really did like the episode and the season. Looking forward to the carnation-less next season.

Bolivianfuego repped this.