Boardwalk Empire - season 3

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Belgian guy, Sep 9, 2012.

1. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    And Nucky is nice again.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It just goes back to what Randolph said. He sees himself as the pater familias.
    Within the context of a family gathering he can and will be nice to his nieces and nephews, appreciate his wife's singing and eventually forgive his brother to the extent of giving him a better position within his organization. The problem from his perspective is that Margaret is far beyond the point where such gestures might have swayed her.

3. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    What an amazing episode. R.I.P. Nadine Beckenbauer :cry: and perhaps the funniest mock sales pitch EVAH.

Definitely a return to form for a show that still has been struggling this season despite some scenes of cinematic brilliance.

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So glad that Van Alden finally tore that place to shreds.

5. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    [​IMG]

'We can go to any state, except New Jersey, New York ...... or Illinois"

And that grin after the beat down

[​IMG]

Usually I hate when historical set drama's alter the past to suit the plot but if somehow Van Alden decimates the North side gang instead of Capone because of one to many wise cracks at his expense I'll be very happy.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The most staggering development is how they changed a character I was indifferent about in the first two seasons into the most intriguing individual in the third season. His Nordic wife is equally awesome. :)

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Awesome episode. I jut wish Gillian dies soon.....she's so annoying.

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Might happen soon. She must be the only person who knew about the meeting and had a motive to inform Rosetti.
    Perhaps Richard's family portrait will become a reality. ;)

9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree! I actually wanted him dead! I didn't really care much for his story line, and was waiting for one day Jimmy to take him out.

It's the opposite now for me! He's the most interersting for me now, and I can't wait to see where he ends up next! He's finally having a good turn of luck... and I am rooting for him!

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm not sure if being indebted to O'Banion is really good luck, but I suspect Capone/Torrio will solve that problem for him sooner rather than later.

11. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    For me it is! He's finally shelling a product that he really doesn't have to 'sell', and will make more money doing that then he ever did through the toil of going door to door (sales sucks!).

He'll earn a better living, learn to enjoy the life he so once despised.... him turning into a 'bad guy' is going to be fun. I can't wait to see him really 'throw down' and see how he hangs. He's O'Banian's muscle... should be interesting... :)

12. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the best episode this season and one of the best episodes ever on Boardwalk Empire. Some great story telling and acting taking place.

Crimen y Castigo repped this.
  13. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I jumped out of my seat and cheered when he stuck that guy with the iron.

Just totally awesome!

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  14. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may have been whimpering at the end, but he deserved it for being a total dick. He acted like some people I knew in High School. Some to this day still act that way.

15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we know Nadine surely died in the explosion, but what about.....
    [​IMG]
    ....yeah, she's not a major character, but I like her saucy one-liners.

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Crap, never considered that!

17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, since they didn't explicitly show her inside Babette's, they have numerous "outs" for saying that she wasn't there at the time of the explosion.

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they did show a good number of people stumbling out of there as well, so she could have easily survived it.

19. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, wasn't the size of that explosion a weeeee bit over the top?

That said, concur that it was a really great episode. One of the best.

Margaret's story was not a drag for a change -- the affair and the Shearer woman / diaphragm scenes were completely compelling.

Nucky and the Asst. AG Randolph was great (that actor is aces, always); and Nucky with Andrew Mellon was great (James Cromwell!)

Buscemi looked positively youthful and vigorous after his pretty boy beat down; and his follow up with the showgirl was just as great.

And just when I start liking her character: Kablooey! Did not expect that. And yet, Gillian lives . . .

But -- that was a truly great scene with Nucky and Gillian, it has to be said.

One question -- How did Gillian know that Rosetti would want to kill Rothstein and Nucky? Just general street knowledge? Or did Uncle Junior tell her? I know they both expressed a general dislike for Nucky, but that tip seemed to be specially designed for someone with murderous intent. And why was Rosetti even in Atlantic City? Nucky certainly has a grip on the town -- seems like quite the risk to show up and hang out in a very public spot.

Anyway, cracking hour of TV.

Alberto repped this.
  20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    You want to know something totally crazy? Somehow I had completely missed the fact that the actor playing Leander is the same guy who played uncle Junior on The Sopranos. It hadn't even occurred to me until Crimen's post... :confused: I mean, it's not like he's hiding under a ton of make-up or prosthetics...

Your Gillian points: I assume the hit on Rosetti is a well-known fact, and it wouldn't take much to figure out who might have ordered it. So Gillian would know Rosetti would be out for revenge. As for why Rosetti was there, I assume Gillian called him over. Though would that make sense within the time frame? I can't remember, did she find out about the meeting on the morning of the day itself or the day before?

21. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The actress who plays Randolph is really, really good.
    I like her acting style, which is more of a "quiet" class than the more extroverted styles that seems to do well at awards ceremonies.

23. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How great is James Cromwell as Andrew Mellon. Wow!!!!

24. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really great.

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That role couldn't be more in his wheelhouse. It's a bit like bringing in Ray Allen to shoot corner threes.