BMW vs Meredes Benz: Which is better?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Excape Goat, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004

Maybe in price but not in handling and performance.

2. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    But if a cheap car is what you want, then a front wheel drive car is superior.

3. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004

What about Air Conditioning? Power Steering? Airbags?

If I'm looking for a cheap car does that mean that cars without the above are superior based on the fact they are cheaper because they don't have these things?

No its not, because its still a car and a car's quality is based on more then just "price".

A front wheel drive car is cheaper to manufacture but more expensive and difficult to work on due to the fact the front of the car is crowded with the engine and drive train components.

It can also be more expensive because with worse handling you're more likely to get in an accident due to the fact that you have less control of the car.

Now what do you have to say lol.

4. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I guess we all should be driving S-classes.

But wait...some people don't like them, despite the fact that you think they are superior to everything.

I love Mercedes and Porsche automobiles. I think they are the best made, best engineered automobiles in the world. For me.

But I'm not everybody, and I don't presume to think that everybody should be like me. For most people, a Honda Accord is a superior car to the C-Class that I want to buy...how do I know? Because a shit load of people buy them, and only a few buy the C-class.

If the C-class really was a superior automobile for everybody, then everybody would buy them. Hondas have a near perfect combination of handling, looks, comfort, safety, and price.

You might want to say that Mercedes or BMW has a near perfect combination of handling, looks, comfort, and safety...and I bet a lot of people would agree with you...but as soon as they have to take price into consideration, their decisions change.

Your claim that there is one type of superior is absolutely naive.

5. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I don't think the S-class is superior to everything but I see the point you're trying to make. The fact I don't have one, or wouldn't buy an S-class takes nothing away from its quality. The fact I would rather have my current car then an S-class does not mean I feel my car is superior...I know the S-class is better but my car is a personal preference.

You're trying to make this conversation more about something more then it is but when taking about cars...its all about numbers.

Cars are judged on several different criteria. Speed, Power, handling, interior, saftey, ride comfort, build quality, practically, and other factors. Its up to consumers to gage what criteria they hold most important or least important. If a car scores consistantly high in all those categories then yes its superior then a car who scores low or moderate but has a cheaper price tag.

If you just want a car to get you from point a to point b, then theres nothing wrong with the cheapest option. But if you go that route dont delude yourself thinking the car is superior because it inst.

Its just like watches. There are 20 grand rolex's out there that I would never purchase. But just because I wouldn't buy one it does not take away from the craftsmanship, precision, innovation, and professionalism that goes into making that watch. And yes that rolex is still superior to my bulova.

6. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Actually, Front wheel drive is superior to Rear wheel drive on snow, ice, and in hilly areas.

On a road, rear wheel wins easily, though.

But I agree. Comparing an Accord to a C-class is just stupid.

7. interglory

interglory Red Card

Mar 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    audi is the best bmw and mercedes are old

8. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    old?

9. interglory

interglory Red Card

Mar 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    same old design and other crap.

10. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
  11. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just out of curiosity, what percentage of MBZ drivers do you think drive their cars significantly differently from the way they would drive a Honda Accord?

in the US of A, most drivers use their cars to go to and from work most of the time. unless you live on a mountain, your driving is mostly straight line, which makes the MBZ a very costly toy. and i would speculate that much more than 50% of the female owners of MBZs drive them the same as they would a minivan.

the reason most people purchase MBZs is for the cachet of driving a "luxury" vehicle, not because of the performance. so it's a largely ego-driven decision. there's nothing wrong with that, but let's not pretend otherwise.

12. interglory

interglory Red Card

Mar 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    audi for some reason to me just looks more fresh than mbz and bmw .before i would be so exited to see bmw and mbz but now it is like every days car.they just don't have that intrigue and mystery about them any more i don't know why bet they just don't to me

13. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In Germany? I'd say abou 60-70%. In the states? Dunno.

14. Red Wine

Red Wine New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The BMW I have has seen zero repairs and I am on 125K miles. If you take care most cars and get them serviced on time they should last you for a long time. Road and Track in 07 made a good point that most people that own a BMW or any car of value will be more proactive anyway with their proper service the car needs as it gets older. Much like the athlete takes care of his or her body (excluding the ones on juice) more than the couch potato that watches them perform on Sunday. That reminds me to pick up some chips on the way home tonight!

15. iCEMANGSCCC

iCEMANGSCCC Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Winston-Salem
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hill, no. Otherwise, correct. RWD is better suited for hills because of weight transfer to the rear axle gives it a lot more traction, kind of like how a torquey car with stiff front springs will transfer weight to the rear and give it more traction

16. januk

januk New Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I said both, in this moment I have Mercedes in my garage, but in the past I had BMW also. Bmw is much like sports Car, and Mercedes is more elegance.

17. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Very well said.

Simply NO COMPARISON between the two, as they target different type of customer.

BMW mostly target the young (not age but mindset) who enjoy the ride than anything else - luxury comes next

Benz target the "rich" (in the mind) type, who enjoy the comfy and luxury - riding + handling comes next

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lexus target the "conservative type" who enjoy "worry-free + luxury"

Jaguard (Volvo) for those who likes being "dinstinct and classy"

18. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

WAKE UP!

19. bjeremey

bjeremey New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Tennessee
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Audi is the best of course.
    I'm not impartial because i drive an audi though...
    2005 A6 3.2 :)

That 6 series is uglier than a war wound. What exactly are we supposed to be waking up too?

oh, and nothing sexier than an audi in its natural environment.

[​IMG]

20. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

Well said! Although I prefer the S5 myself. :cool:

21. iCEMANGSCCC

iCEMANGSCCC Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Winston-Salem
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Showing two pictures of cars with a two word reply is lazy and immature. Grow up

22. ViscaBarca

ViscaBarca Member

Mar 26, 2004
    London
    I'm a big Audi fan myself, but I don't think the 6 series is ugly at all. I think it looks pretty cool. same for the 1 series. and some of the new Mercedes look brilliant as well. I'd still buy an Audi though :)

23. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Mercedes may look cool, but unless McLaren has something to do with it or it starts with an S it drive more like a ship than a car though.

24. qwidgibo

qwidgibo New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Genève, Switzerland
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    BMW does have M3 M5 and M6 but Merc has the amg gullwing and the black ops division so I would say they are equal

25. ViscaBarca

ViscaBarca Member

Mar 26, 2004
    London
    not quite. a normal Merc really does drive like a ship, but that has always been the case. a normal BMW does not.