Blocking a punt? Or legal play?...

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Cobras7, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Except PV would have taken ten pages to explain something.

BTW, Billy, real Adult of you. And since you are done here, I assume, you mean permanently. I thank you for your years of service. I think everyone thanks you.

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Gentlemen, these are really unnecessary. I think we can attack ideas without attacking people.

While I agree (sorry S.B.) that the idea there is any support in the LOTG for the kind of misbehavior being discussed, I don't think that precludes us from having a discussion about how to parse the language of the LOTG. This provision, like many in the Laws, needs to be read with an understanding of the game, including the SOTG and Law 18.

But I am also quite certain that the player in question was not doing something because he thought he found a loophole in Law 12, but because he thought maybe he could get away with it.

3. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Sorry, so cal, he was acting about as childiish as possible. And I am well within my veteran rights on this board to wish him well and thank him for his service. And there are far greater things to parse on the lotg than a stupid play by an attacker. How about if we get referees across this great land of ours to recognize foul play when they see it first?

4. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know that thought did cross my mind.

5. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    If IFAB were to replace all seven cautionable offenses with "a player is cautioned when he behaves like a douche," almost nothing would change in terms of when cautions are actually given. I think it would be a good, positive edit to the LOTG.

dadman, MrPerfectNot, Law5 and 2 others repped this.
  6. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Plus, imagine how much more interesting the post-match write-ups would be.

min 68 - YC Blue #8, infraction: He was being a GIANT douche!!

Brilliant!!!

dadman repped this.
  7. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Problem is that some players may regard being a douche as desirable, much like Prince Charles who wished to be Camilla's tampon.

8. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Hahaha...whenever in doubt (in issuing a card), my fall back barometer is whether or not the player was/is a "douche"....sort of like an all encompassing standard.

Reminds me of a guyI do mens ethnic league games with, who showed a caution to a player in a heated game once and the player demanded to know what for.

Player: "why is that a card?"

Ref: "you want to know why thats a card?"

Player: "Yes, I want to know why thats a card"

Ref: "You REALLY want to know why thats a card?"

Player: "Yes, thats what I am asking you".

Ref: "Well, I don't know why its a card, but it IS a card. It looks like a card, feels like a card, smells like a card, therefore it IS a card."

SILENCE...................................

La Rikardo, J'can, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  9. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    NH has a youth referee dev group that actually has added a C8 "behaving like a douche", this came courtesy of a small blond haired, blue eyed female who is quiet until you get to know her well and can figure out who to provoke her. She was asked to defend her opinion of giving a card and for what and out of exasperation just said "cause he was being a douche". Stunned silence and to this day that entire group knows exactly what the C8 caution is for.

Cobras7, La Rikardo, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  10. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now THAT is funny.