BigSoccer Tyrant Draft Selection Thread

Discussion in 'History' started by GringoTex, Mar 28, 2008.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If they do a movie about Peter the Great, the role of Peter the Great should be played by Peter Crouch.

2. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Not tall enough. Really.

3. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I choose Marcus Aurelius Septimius Bassianus Antoninus Augustus Caracalla, aka Caracalla.

[​IMG]

Caracalla became co-emporer with his brother Geta after the death of their father, Septimius Severus.

However, both of them wanted to rule alone, so Caracalla had his brother murdered. But he didn't stop there. According to Imperial Purple by Edgar Saltus:

He did build some nice baths though. :D

4. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    No THERE is a badass prick. SO is my guy, coming right up.
    Fare thee well John Guppy.

5. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Not many men are so despised that they are executed three years after they die on their own. Ironically, He wasn’t dug up for the worst of his malfeasance. Ask any Irishman you happen to see. We are still dealing with the depredations and sectarian tyranny instituted by Regicide, Theocrat and New Model Asshole…

Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector

[​IMG]

"Necessity hath no law"

SPOKEN: THE MOST INTERESTING THING ABOUT
    KING CHARLES I IS THAT HE WAS 5'6" TALL AT THE START OF HIS REIGN, BUT ONLY 4'8" AT THE END OF IT...

BECAUSE OF...

Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of England
    PURITAN
    Born in 1599 and died in 1658
    SEPTEMBER
    Was at first
    ONLY
    MP for Huntingdon
    BUT THEN
    He led the Ironside Cavalry at Marston Moor
    in 1644 and won.
    Then he founded the new model model army
    And praise be, beat the Cavaliers at Naisby
    And the King fled up North like a bat to the Scots.

BUT UNDER THE TERMS OF JOHN PIMM'S SOLEMN
    LEAGUE AND COVENANT, THE SCOTS HANDED KING
    CHARLES I OVER TO...

Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of England
    AND HIS WARTS
    SEPTEMBER
    But alas
    OY VAY!
    Disagreement then broke out
    BETWEEN
    The Presbyterian Parliament and the Military
    who meant
    To have an independent bent.
    And so...

The 2nd Civil War broke out
    And the Roundhead ranks
    Faced the Cavaliers at Preston Banks
    And the King lost again, silly thing
    STUPID GIT

SPOKEN: AND CROMWELL SEND COLONEL PRIDE TO PURGE THE
    HOUSE OF COMMONS OF THE PRESBYTERIAN ROYALISTS
    LEAVING BEHIND ONLY THE RUMP PARLIAMENT...

Which appointed a High Court at Westminster Hall
    To indict Charles I for...tyranny
    OOOOHHH!
    Charles was sentenced to death
    Even though he refused to accept that the court
    had...jurisdiction
    SAY GOODBYE TO HIS HEAD

Poor King Charles laid his head on the block
    JANUARY 1649
    Down came the axe, and...

SPOKEN: IN THE SILENCE THAT FOLLOWED, THE ONLY SOUND
    THAT COULD BE HEARD WAS A SOLITARY GIGGLE,
    FROM...

Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protecteur of England
    OLE
    SEPTEMBER
    Then he smashed
    IRELAND
    Set up the Commonwealth
    AND MORE
    He crushed the Scots at Worcester
    And beat the Dutch at sea
    In 1653 and then
    He dissolved the Rump Parliament
    And with Lambert's consent
    Wrote the instrument of Government
    Under which Oliver was Protector at last
    The end

6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My picks so far

1) Dr. François Duvalier (Haiti)
    2) Franco (Spain)
    3) King Henry VIII (England)
    4) Cosimo de' Medici (Florentine Empire)
    5) Caracalla (Roman Empire)

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously I was not paying attention when I did this...Everybody after HertaBerwyn should be moved up a day. IOW, I draft on 4/13, not 4/14.

8. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    This is like getting Joe Montana in the 5th round. Two dickless wonders from Saudi Arabia were picked before him, fer criminy sakes! But your first and second round picks, they aren't worthy enough to carry this guy's luggage.

9. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How long do the picks go on for? I have a few crazy ones, but I want to save them for last so I need some idea of when last is.

10. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    10 rounds as I understand it. Im looking forward to the last couple rounds.

11. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Edgar Saltus exaggerated.......ever so slightly. He is, however, the worst tyrant of the Syrian dynasty that I was thinking of.

12. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Yes, I was thinking Chris Kaman or Georghe Muresan. Pete was actually 7 feet tall in an age where everyone was quite short.

My favorite thing about Pete's tyrant ways, though, was that he ordered his Window to the West built no matter the cost. In other words, he demanded that St. Petersburg be built in a swamp. A frozen swamp. Hundreds of thousands naturally died.

13. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    When he started here, all of it was swamp! Other Tsars said it was *daft* to build a
    city in a swamp, but he built it all the same, just to show 'em! It
    sank into the swamp. SO, he built a second one! That sank into the
    swamp. So he built a *third* one. That burned down, fell over, *then*
    sank into the swamp. But the fourth one......stayed up.

14. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'll take my pick now. I personally love the small, cult-of-personality types, but there is a big guy that hasn't been chosen yet.

Franz Joseph I, Emperor of Austria, King of Hungary, and King of Bohemia (from 1848 to 1916)
    [​IMG]

Franz Joseph was the ruler of the Austrian Empire and the later Austrian-Hungarian Empire, a conglomeration of at least 10 different Eastern European peoples. When he first took office, he introduced a constitution. But that was just until the war with Sardinia was won and the Hungarian revolt militarily crushed. Then he took the constitution away and became absolute and unlimited ruler of the empire, taking over the role of prime minister as well in 1852. As the years past, the empire slowly lost territory to Germany and Italy, but their internal control remained firm. He fought against political reform of any kind, and called himself the last European ruler of "the old school". Generally the standard of living in the empire was good (especially for the Austrians), so most people liked him, But eventually nationalist ideas started to come to the surface, and the uneven economic growth of the parts of the empire caused some friction. In 1905 there were demonstrations in Vienna. In 1912 there were riots in Budapest. By 1914 there were examples of ethnic unrest in almost every part of the empire, and at times local governments were dissolved and martial law put in place. But still, the one man who controlled the disparate empire was able to do so for 68 years.

Here's what James W. Gerard, US Ambassador to Berlin had to say: "That extraordinary empire known as the Austrian Hungarian dual monarchy was less an empire or a kingdom or a state than the personal property of the Hapsburgs."

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite part about the tyrant in him...he would play "live" war games with his house staff. In one game, something like 21 people were killed.

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So when is it my turn again?

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ok, I'll go ahead and Pick

[​IMG]

JORGE RAFAEL VIDELA
    ARGENTINA

You'll have to indulge me with this one. I'm going to follow it up with a long writeup, because I lived through it during my childhood and high school years.

Write up coming up.

18. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I counter the palace coup.

19. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No use having a draft if we pick out of order.

20. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    That guy looks like an evil-smalling thing crawled up his nose. And/or - separated at birth from the ugliest man in sports, Willie 'E.T.' McGee.

[​IMG].

21. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Then help me lock up ASF till the next round.

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shenanigans. That was going to be my pick, but unfortunately, none of the people in front of me picked yet.

23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No shit. It's bad enough that people are legitimately taking my planned picks, but now I have to put up with people going Maradona on me as well?

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    VIDELA AND THE DIRTY WAR

Although the rule of the military junta in Argentina can be considered a team effort, there is no doubt that Videla is the main figure responsible for the usurpation of power and the dirty war that followed.

The ‘dirty war’ against leftist insurgents is estimated to have resulted in anywhere from 9000 to 30000 ‘dissappeared’, and many more illegal detentions and tortures. The regime is also responsible for the poorly planned invasion of the Malvinas which led to war against England, and also came close to a war with Pinochet’s Chile.

1) VIDELA DURING THE PRESIDENCY OF ISABEL PERON

Videla was appointed commander in Chief of the Army shortly after the death of Juan Domingo Peron, and at first he was an ally of President Isabel Peron, who was Peron’s wife and vice president and so became the new president.

During that time, leftist terrorists, primarily from an organization called E.R.P. with ties to Cuba and the Soviet Union were trying to create chaos in the country in the hope of achieving a Marxist revolution. They were responsible for bombings, kidnappings and murders.

The peronist party was divided. Some leftist extremists within the party formed the terrorist group ‘Montoneros’, which was somewhat allied to ERP, but Lopez Rega, a right winger close to Peron, controlled death squads called ‘La Triple A’, which targeted ERP and Montoneros members.

In the chaos that ensued after the death of Peron, Lopez Rega became the dominant figure, as he was able to control Isabel Peron completely. (He was a witch doctor with deep knowledge of the occult and Isabel was very superstitious). Isabel and Lopez Rega became very unpopular.

At first Videla supported Isabel and Lopez Rega, and when a group of rogue generals attempted to stage a coup and install him as president, he stood by Isabel.

During that time, Videla, under orders of Lopez Rega, organized a military campaign against the ERP, which had set up a terrorist camp in the northern province of Tucuman. Hundreds and possibly thousands were killed in that campaign.

But by 1976 as Isabel’s presidency became more inefficient and the country seemed to descend into anarchy, Videla deemed the time was ripe for usurping power.

2) USURPING POWER

Videla staged a military coup on March 24 1976. Isabel Peron was removed from power, congress was closed, the Supreme court also was relieved of its power, and a Junta formed by Videla, head of the army, Admiral Emilio Massera, head of the Navy, and Brigadier General Orlando Agosti, head of the air force, assumed complete control of the country. Videla was clearly the dominant figure in the triunvirate.

I remember it like it was yesterday . We were at school one morning, and suddenly over the loud speakers they started playing military marches. In between military marches, a number of announces were made, instructing the citizens how they should proceed. Basically a curfew was installed and all people were instructed to go home and await futher instructions. Those who did not followed the rules…’seran sentenciados a muerte’. (would be sentenced to death.) Of course we all went home and missed school for about a week. The messages kept playing over and over in every radio station and TV station from Argentina. Radio stations from neighboring Uruguay were silenced by playing loud noises on the same frequencies.

The situation had become so unstable during the last months of Isabel’s presidency, that at first most Argentines, while not supporting the junta, were not too upset at the events. Some even argued that the country needed ‘una mano dura’.

Videla justified his takeover by arguing that the coup was necessary to end ‘misrule, corruption and the scourge of subversion.’ He outlined a plan to wage what he called a counterrevolutionary war against the leftist subversives in order to bring the country back under control and restore stability. Given the state of the nation, most people gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Even the leftists, (and I know because I had an older friend who was involved in a leftist cell, who later fled the country and I never heard from him again), were pleased by the coup. They felt it would be easier to stage the Marxist revolution once the peronists were out of power. However they strongly underestimated Videla.

3) THE DIRTY WAR

Videla had planned ahead, and he quickly proceeded with what he called ‘El Proceso de Reorganizacion Nacional’ (process of National reorganization). The Junta and the military forces, with assistance from French veterans from the Algerian war, waged a brutal campaign against the subversives and everybody who opposed their rule. They closed all political parties, all civil courts, dissolved the labor unions, assumed tight control of all the media, and basically ruled by decree.

With support from the Catholic church and strong financial interests, as well as from the United States, they basically had a blank check. They began to systematically arrest all suspected of subversion.

At first people, tired of the chaos, approved. When rumors of disappearances began, people would say, ‘they probably deserve it, they are murderers and bomb throwers’. But slowly it began to dawn on people that a subversive was not just a terrorist, but anybody who had what Videla considered to be ‘dangerous ideas.

As stories of arrests, illegal detentions, tortures and disappearances began to spread, Videla and the junta became hugely unpopular. Also the media could not hide the fact that the regime was very unpopular abroad. At first the US, and Kissinger in particular, had supported Videla and given him legitimacy. But when Carter became president, he strongly denounced the human right abuses, and so did the Europeans. Videla denied the excesses, while the Argentine media argued against ‘an international campaign to discredit Argentina’, but people were not buying it anymore.

4) THE AFTERMATH OF THE DIRTY WAR

By 1979, the war against the subversives was basically over, thousands had been killed, and stories of the most horrible tortures were being spread, as well as rumors of people being thrown out of airplanes into the ocean. The leftist attacks had completely ceased, and there really was no justification for the continued repression, and yet Videla did not loosen his grip on power. They established strict moral guidelines and censured everything, from music to sexual content to political ideas. Powerful people connected to the government benefited from corrupt practices. Common practices including appropriating the businesses and assets of people who had disappeared, and also taking their children and giving them up for adoption to families connected to the government.

Yet an underground movement began to swell to oppose the government. Underground newspapers flourished, and rock bands spread the message to young people. A group of mothers began gathering at Plaza de Mayo in front of the government house, and as people began to defy the government. By this time most Argentines knew at least one person who had disappeared. My family knew of a couple. As people became more and more outraged, Videla’s grip on power began to wane.

5) THE JUNTA AFTER VIDELA

By 1981 Videla was so unpopular that he decided to resign. He was replaced by General Viola, who belonged to a faction of the military that was more moderate (in relative terms).

Viola tried to reach out to the Argentine people, and he loosened many of the restrictions and allowed more freedoms. But as the military wasn’t willing to give up power, and they continued to justify the dirty war and deny the atrocities. The loosening of restriction was enough for the United States (now led by Ronald Reagan) to solidify its support of the Junta, but the people of Argentina were not buying it. Viola was largely inefficient in his modest attempt at reconciliation, and in less than a year, General Leopoldo Galtieri, a hard liner allied to Videla, staged a coup and removed Viola.

Galtieri is believed by many to have been a puppet and a drunk, but under his regime the Junta tightened again the controls that Viola had loosened. In response, people took to the streets and marched against the Junta, and we were willing to risk death and torture to achieve our goal. But the Junta by then was toothless. Risking loss of support by the Church and the international community, they were unwilling to resort to the types of brutal measures of their earlier days. By March of 1982, It certainly looked to us like the Junta was on its last legs.

But Galtieri and the Junta had one last card to play. On April 2nd 1982 Argentina invaded the Islas Malvinas, which had been held by England since 1833 but always strongly claimed by Argentina. For a short time, nationalistic feeling won over the outrage and people rallied for the country and against what Argentines consider to be the British colonialist presence in the South Atlantic.

But after the humiliating defeat, the game was over for the Junta. Democracy was restored in 1983.

6) VIDELA'S LATER FATE AND THE HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISION FINDINGS

General Videla was arrested by the new democratic government of Alfonsin, and sentenced to prision. A commission called ‘nunca mas’ (never again) was established to investigate the disappearances. It documented 8960 cases, and later another approximately 3000 cases were documented. So officially there are approximately 12000 people documented as disappeared. But many more cases are believed to exist, as many cases were not documented, and it’s believed lots of families just didn’t want to go through the process as it was too painful.

I quote an article about the findings of the commission ‘nunca mas”

In 1985 Videla and other military leaders were tried. Videla was convictes of multiple cases of homicide, aggravated false arrest, torture, torture resulting in death, and robbery. He was sentenced to life in prision.

However, the military still had great power, and under pressure and threats of violence, all sentences were reduced. Videla only served four years.

In 1990 president Menem, under a plan of reconciliation, granted pardons to all the members of the military junta, as well as military officers and leftist insurgents who were in jail at the time. Videla was one of those officers pardoned.

In 1998, Videla was arrested in a case brought by the Mothers of Plaza de Mayo for allowing and concealing the abduction of five babies born to women held in secret detention centers during the dirty war. In a technicality, it was ruled that these crimes were not covered by the pardon, and he was arrested and jailed. Later due to poor health he was placed under house arrest, where he remains to this day.

Since then, the Argentine congress has reversed the pardons of members of the Argentine Junta, and the Supreme Court has ruled that the pardons were unconstitutional. Many officers have been rearrested and Videla was once again inducted for his crimes

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Take him if you want, I just wanted to do the writeup, since I lived through it.