Big Ten Football 2012

Discussion in 'Football' started by Twenty26Six, Sep 3, 2012.

?

Who will win the Big Ten Championship?

1. Ohio State

12.5%
  2. Michigan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Michigan State

12.5%
  4. Wisconsin

50.0%
  5. Nebraska

25.0%
  6. Other...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shitty for you guys, but the RB got some yard this week - which had to be reassuring.

2. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is based on what, exactly?

4. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I understand is that Bo, off the field in his personal life, is a decent guy. However on the field he can often be a screaming lunatic.

He has improved in this area but comparing him to TO, he, as well as most others, comes up short. We were spoiled by 25 years of TO and the next three coaches, especially the last two, have paled in comparison.

My beef with Bo is more the lack of consistent performance his teams exhibit. The fumbles and stupid penalties speak to his coaching. Oldenballs at K-State does not accept those types of mistakes. Do that and you're riding the pine. And look where their residing in the BCS rankings.

I'll reserve my final opinion on whether Bo should go until the end on the season. Win out and I'll give him a bit more rope.

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my point. The guy is a more than a little bit hotheaded on the sidelines, but other than that I've never heard nor read anything to suggest he's not a fundamentally decent person (his comments regarding the Penn State situation after the game last year, for example, were much more thoughtful and measured than a lot of the chatter surrounding the whole situation). And, more to the point, I'm willing to wager that Alberto has never read/heard/seen anything regarding his character, either.

Do I think he's a good COACH? I really don't--it's not the lack of results, because I just don't think we have elite-level talent, and I'm sorry Husker fans but we're not a glamor destination for promising recruits. Kids today don't care how good we used to be when they were in diapers. It's the lack of consistency, the lack of discipline, the confidence deficit--that stuff is on him, I think.

But saying he's a bad PERSON? Please.

6. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he is a Buckeye. :D

7. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've got Michigan, Sparty, Penn State, and Iowa to deal with in 4 of the next 5. I don't see that happening.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if you beat us (Michigan).

8. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We go 2-2 over that stretch at best (with a win vs Minny thrown in the middle there, obviously). Unfortunately, my tickets are for the 2 that we'll lose.

We finish 8-4 and go play in the Gator bowl. w00t. :cry:

9. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't either. Not impossible, just extremely unlikely.

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's based on Alberto being the bizzarro Will Rogers. Those of us who post here on a regular basis see this every day.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  11. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...without the humorous aphorisms*.

*thanks wikipedia. :)

12. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KCfutbol answered your inquiry. His on field deportment is terrible. His antics have toned down this season, but honestly his grabbing players face masks and ranting at players and officials shows a classless man. Regardless of how he may be off the field, when placed in pressurized situations he has shown himself to have some terrible behavior. Not the kind of thing one would expect from a college football coach.

13. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh really? :rolleyes: Obviously you have issues with short term memory loss. Otherwise you would acknowledge that Pelini blows a gasket routinely on the sidelines with players and officials. He's improved this season, but his past behavior was reprehensible for a college coach. Poor example for players.

14. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BOOM! Sophomore, soon to be all-b1g, linebacker coming through.
    [​IMG]

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jerry Sandusky would never stoop to yelling at 280 pound 20 year old men in a competitive situation. Clearly, he was a much better human being than Pelini.

Twenty26Six repped this.
  16. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's truly f u c k e d to invoke the name of a child abuser to defend Pelini. What the hell is wrong with you? You have no issue with how he treats players dressing them down on the sidelines for everyone to see. How about his deportment with officials too? Finger pointing and yelling at them. Yeah that is a great example to present to young men.

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EDIT: I should know better than to try and talk with Alberto. Pointless.

stanger repped this.
  19. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen, invoking the name of a child molester to prove a point is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

So to that end, why are you willing to give Pelini a pass on how he treats his players, but willing to give him a fail as a coach because the team is inconsistent and repeatedly makes the same mistakes?

You are going to look past Pelini's behavior where it counts the most the sidelines, for future recruits, for parents of players, for the image of the program and the University, his players, for the media and for all to see on tv. What does that say about Pelini that he has blown a gasket on the sidelines so many times. What kind of an example does it present to his players? Deal with pressure by berating others. By embarrassing others. Moreover, it's not as if every coach behaves like Pelini and even if they did it doesn't make it right. Pelini's offensive sideline behavior isn't only directed at his players, he has also directed it to officials, but I acknowledge I have seen similar behavior from numerous other coaches, but again it doesn't make it right.

Father Hesburgh honored Gerry Faust's contract at Notre Dame's when many were calling for his firing because Father Hesburg believed in the positive influence Faust had on the players. I don't think you can say the same with respect to Pelini.

20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, by Lou Holtz's own admission, Faust let behind a group of lazy, entitled, misbehaving kids.

That's one heck of a "positive influence." :rolleyes

22. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think these people are being completely honest. I still worry that this isn't getting the attention it deserves. By rule, they can start the 6-day protocol as soon as the kid stops exhibiting symptoms. But, truthfully, after the first day, it's really easy to lie and say, "no, I don't have a headache."

If anyone saw the Gholston injury (MSU v OSU), you knew damn well it wasn't the "wind knocked out of him." But, that's how it was reported.

Link with video: http://www.thedetroitsportssite.com/2012/10/01/was-william-gholston-injury-situation-handled-properly-with-video/24698

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points. Hell, as a DC United fan I should know better.

24. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's scary only because I don't think we really know what these head injuries are doing to people yet.

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AND too many don't seem to care/want to know.

Twenty26Six repped this.