Big Ten Football 2012

Discussion in 'Football' started by Twenty26Six, Sep 3, 2012.

?

Who will win the Big Ten Championship?

1. Ohio State

12.5%
  2. Michigan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Michigan State

12.5%
  4. Wisconsin

50.0%
  5. Nebraska

25.0%
  6. Other...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will agree with you that Ohio University is not all that.

Twenty26Six repped this.
  2. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've already said that they're keeping both USC and Stanford as every year games. I think Purdue and Michigan State go away as every year games you get home and home with one, followed by home and home with the other.

All this will get very very interesting when Notre Dame's NBC deal is up in 2015. The ACC is locked in with ESPN through the 2026/27 season, otherwise I think that NBC Sports would have made a huge push to grab all of the ACC, thereby integrating ND fully into the conference.

3. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notre Dame did not join the ACC as a football school. They only agreed to play 5 ACC games per year. They have more than enough open weeks to keep the 3 Big Ten games. They are all regional games, and they are trophy games. Purdue, in particular, is the oldest of the three. Notre Dame won't be canceling them anytime soon.
    Again, Notre Dame football did not join the ACC, the other sports did. Notre Dame only agreed to take 5 ACC games a year, and they were already playing 5 of those teams anyway. They won't be bound to any ACC - ESPN contract.

4. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it interesting that ND didn't join the ACC in football, but will be able to participate in their bowl tie-ins to a certain degree.

5. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ND brings more money and exposure than just about any college football team. Conferences will do just about anything to tie-in with that.

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get it, I just think it's kind of pathetic because it'll probably cost one of their members a bowl spot withe some regularity. That's probably just as well though as pretty much every school loses money on bowls and most ACC football programs only turn a meager profit (and Wake Forest loses money with its program.) It'll certainly give them better leverage in upping their TV contract, which is where the real money is anyway.

7. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big Ten Week Four TV Guide (All times Eastern)

12:00 - Texas El Paso @ Wisconsin, ESPN2
    12:00 - Central Michigan @ Iowa, BTN
    12:00 - Alabama - Birmingham @ #16 Ohio State, BTN

3:30 - Eastern Michigan @ #21 Michigan State, BTN
    3:30 - Idaho State @ #25 Nebraska, BTN
    3:30 - Temple @ Penn State, ABC
    3:30 - South Dakota @ Northwestern, BTN

7:30 - #18 Michigan @ #11 Notre Dame, NBC

8:00 - Syracuse @ Minnesota, BTN
    8:00 - Louisiana Tech @ Illinois, BTN

Twenty26Six repped this.
  8. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iowa... holy baby Jesus. How does Ferentz still have a job at this point?

9. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another one of their RBs go down with a season-ending injury? They've had shit luck and a few poor recruiting classes recently.

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never taunt the Angry Iowa RB Hating God.

HardHatMike and Twenty26Six repped this.
  11. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously.. if you're a RB and you're even considering going to Iowa, you need to have your head examined at this point. I can just envision Meyer, Hoke, Pelini, and Bielema walking into an Iowa RB commit's house with Ralphie's mom, teacher, and the Wicked Witch of the West chanting "You'll blow your knee out! You'll blow your knee out!"

Twenty26Six repped this.
  12. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well last night the SEC had to reevaluate it's position on Rutgers. Guess they're not the crap team you imagined.

13. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we once and for all end any discussion of Denard Robinson and Taylor Martinez winning the Heisman Trophy. Robinson was dreadful last night. How anyone still imagine him playing quarterback in the NFL is beyond me.

14. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My personal Big Ten power rankings headed into Conference play.

1. Ohio State - They're only up here because no one else seems to want the spot... and they're the only undefeated team that has a real shot of finishing that way, not that it would matter.
    2. Nebraska - Offense is clicking something scary right now and I think it's the best in the Big Ten so far. Even in the loss to UCLA we put up over 400 yards of offense. Having a banged-up Monte Ball and a freshman QB coming into Memorial this weekend makes a nice target for a defense that still hasn't earned their shirts yet.
    3. Michigan - I can't figure them out. Robinson laid a huge egg against the Domers. But despite their 2 losses they're still a force to be reckoned with and will come to Lincoln the last weekend of October to decide the Legends division.
    4. Michigan State - Rebounded from the ND loss with a lackluster performance in a win over Directional Michigan. Still, at least they won their Directional Michigan game. They're missing Cousins something awful right now. I think Ohio State does away with them easily this weekend.
    5. Northwestern - 4-0 with wins over 3 BCS conference schools. Nevermind that those schools are a collective 3-8 on the season, 4-0 is still 4-0. They'll throttle Indiana this weekend before a showdown with Penn State to see if they're for real or not.
    6. Wisconsin - I'm very hesitant to put them this low, but their play deserves it. Their free agent QB is a bust and their marquee player suffered a concussion-like symptoms. I think they get run over in Lincoln this weekend in a payback game for last year's embarrassment at Camp Randall.
    7. Penn State - Things starting to turn around after the disastrous start. Offense is starting to adjust to not having Silas Redd or any other real talent.
    8. Minnesota - Also 4-0, somehow. I think they take home the Floyd of Rosedale this weekend and go into the Northwestern game undefeated, which could make for very interesting TV.
    9. Purdue - The close loss to ND was a fluke. Even so, I think they'll give Wisconsin a run for the Leaders division title and I'd love to see them in Indianapolis in December.
    10. Indiana - The "I's" don't have it. Indiana is the least offensive of this group just because they are at least expected to crap the bed regularly. Loss to Ball State is at least in character for them.
    12. Iowa and Illinois - Neither of these guys deserve to be mentioned with the rest of the conference, and that's saying something this year. After this weekend they smell worse than a Morgantown port-a-john on Sunday morning.

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arkansas is done. They've clearly given up. This is worse than the 2003 Bama team that saw a coach fired in the off season and a new coach brought in. This is their coach being fired in the off season (both for sex scandals) with a temporary hire brought in that it's now discovered is bankrupt to the tune of 25 million? Arkansas might win 1-2 more games this year, and that's a big MAYBE. Sure, you've got to take the good with the bad, but this is extreme and I don't think Arkansas is any kind of SEC measuring stick right now.

16. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Denard's problem is he puts up video game numbers against shit teams and anytime he comes up against the vaguest semblance of a defense, he buckles.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm still tripping about that. $25M??? I don't know how you don't find that out before he signs his name. Arkansas is getting what it deserved. They shouldn't have hired Petrino in the first place. Alberto This is a point where I agree with you about character. Petrino should have been unhirable as a HC from the minute the Auburn coup scandal came to light. Louisville should have let him go immediately. I'm a UL player, I don't want to see his face ever again. I don't care one bit about boosters and cash and all that, but when you conspire to leave your own players, your own recruits in the dead of night to take another man's job without saying anything to anyone, you ain't shit.

John L. might be a decent guy, but his finances alone would have kept me from hiring him.

LSU is a joke compared to previous seasons. Auburn ain't shit this season (1-3, had to use a Hail Mary and a trick play last week to avoid being 0-4) and they almost won honest. The SEC (which, despite the hype, has never been more than two or maybe three teams deep each of the last few seasons- it's just that those two or three were nationally great, and they switched places every year, creating the impression of depth) has Alabama this year and that's about it. Georgia isn't all that and neither is Florida, the University of South Carolina or Tennessee.

18. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. You really punched that strawman hard, chizzy. I don't know a single person who thinks Robinson should play QB in the NFL.

19. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That might be valid if Michigan didn't beat Notre Dame in every offensive category besides turnovers.

Notre Dame came to play, but even 60% of Denard's best was better than both ND QBs and all their skill players.

20. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people have on these boards and many on television.

21. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with "some people," and I have 500 channels on my TV, so you'll have to be more specific if you want me to take your argument seriously.

I can't think of one person that thinks Denard should be an NFL QB. You might as well be trying to prove that snow is cold.

22. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well good for you. I could care less what you think nor am I wasting my time proving my point to you.

23. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    So just keep blowing stuff out of your mouth. It's like beer shits. It smells, its messy, but it makes you feel better.

24. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you already lost the ability to take the high ground when you registered for an internet message board and started posting. Clearly you care. Otherwise, you would just be mumbling your nonsensical opinions to yourself in the car on the way to work and not searching out this thread.

It's OK though. I understand you can't prove your last point. I was just making sure you knew that I knew that you didn't know anything about the subject you were talking about. ;)

25. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't matter what else he (or the rest of the team) did. He threw four interceptions (and there was another pick and a fumble by the team.) You're virtually guaranteed to lose turning the ball over six times.

I once went to a USF v Louisville game where Louisville seriously outgained USF about 475 yards to 150 yards, but Louisville couldn't protect the football and got thrashed something like 41-17 because they turned the ball over 4-5 times. Turnover margin is a huge determinant in a game, one that often overrides all other stats.