Big Ten Football 2011

Discussion in 'Football' started by WarrenWallace, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I agree that Edsal was a very... hmmm... "sideways" hire. But, I think the players like him, and I thought he did really well at UConn.

The problem is that the Maryland alumni seem to think they warrant a HUGE brand name coach, but they don't.

The area and school are very nice though, and I don't think a kid should rule out going there.

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  3. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Big Ten and Pac 12 unveil a new "scheduling partnership" which will include every team having a yearly cross conference game.

ESPN.com

This is interesting to me because Nebraska is scheduled to play in Knoxville for their annual "big non-conference game" in 2017 when this is supposed to start. But I'm guessing that our first matchup out of this arrangement will be a game with Colorado. Let the urine bombs commence!

This arrangement is also reportedly going to make the Big Ten reconsider their plan to move to a 9 game conference schedule

4. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is really good news, and something I wasn't expecting (I've been too focused on a coaching search, mind you).

I think people from the PSU fanbase are happy to hear this because it means one less OOC cupcake game for us to complain about.

5. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My shirt doesn't say Nebraska today. My shirt says BIG TEN. Higher calling today, boys.

6. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You. Have. Got. To. Be. Frakking. Kidding. Me.

7. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is watching Nebraska, Mike.:p

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If I wasn't stuck at work I would be :mad:

9. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's it. I'm done defending the Big Ten. This is just embarrassing.

10. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MSU is till in their game.:eek:

11. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what a game it is!

12. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! What a game! Way to go, Sparty!

13. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nebraska was always going to be in trouble vs. South Carolina.

Did anyone really think the Badgers were going to get it done? They are absolute frontrunners, and any team that keeps it close against them has a better than 50% chance of withstanding their boring offensive play-calling in the second half even with very limited defensive playmaking.

And, sadly, when McGloin got KO'd by his own teammate, they were never going to be in the right frame of mind to play this bowl game versus Houston.

Now, if Meeeechigan drops an egg versus Va-Tech, then I will consider it a dead year, because we should be able beat a slumping ACC team.

14. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we're full-fledged members of the Big Ten now. :mad:

15. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still don't know if I can root for Michigan, but you are right about being able to beat Va Tech. I think they run away with it.

I do wish OSU would have had the same offensive game plan yesterday that they did the last Saturday in November.

16. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stink of it is that we were doing just fine until the last minute of the first half. We were going in for another score that would have given us a 2 score lead and then the fumble (on an absolutely great hit by the Carolina defender) and the hail mary caused the wheels to come off.

17. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to be a jerk, but that's how teams lose games. Generally, you're not beat from whistle to whistle. It's a close contest that changes on a few (1-2) pivotal plays somewhere in the middle third of the game, and one team's depth takes over and mounts a comeback or seals the deal.

South Carolina was a very strong team. The injury to Lattimore, and the cutting of Garcia were red herrings. They are a solid team from the SEC that had a legit shot at playing the SEC Champ'ship this year.

Nebraska is going to benefit from being in the B1G, but they will also be lulled into the false sense of security we all have by playing in a slow, powerful conference.

18. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OSU was doing well until the kick return and the blocked punt.

That's the way it goes.:(

19. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it coincidence? Or, is it...
    * SEC speed? (quicker than kick and punt coverage)
    * SEC depth? (better players on special teams)

Of course, they get that by over-recruiting and paying off kids/agents, but hey, so does your school! :p

20. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard one of the talking heads talk about the SEC speed angle and what he said makes sense. To paraphrase, WR, QB, RB positions, as well as DB's and linebackers, there is virtually no difference in the speed between conferences. Where the SEC may have an advantage is on the lines. Their 300 pounders move better than our 300 pounders.

Depth, with the advantage of over-signing so prevalent in the SEC, could have an advantage, especially with the suspensions OSU went through this year.

And 26, we get in trouble when we make mistakes, so that's an advantage the SEC has as well.;)

21. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the "eye test", I've always thought SEC LBs were faster. But, I've never seen the numbers, and that just may be down to "speed of thought" from having more competition at the position and the cream rising to the top from that.

22. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OSU has put quite a few LB's into the NFL in the past 10 years. Don't know how many the SEC as a whole has produced.

23. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, apart from TSIO, I don't know how many have gone on. It would be an interesting case study to see.

For example, I read that, this year, the Big East (of all places) has the best NFL-ready defensive line prospects.

For a while, I think the B1G had a great number of very good CBs and WRs come to the pros, and I always thought that was a result of how we played defense (i.e. - tight man-to-man coverage on outside with safety in run
    box).

The corners had to be good in order to allow extra men in box, and they had to stop run on the outside. Plus, the receivers had to be good to beat good corners.

24. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hail to the victors!!!

Phew!

25. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not want to win like that, so it's a bit bittersweet. Coales was robbed of a perfectly legit touchdown catch.

But, I am happy that we found a way to win an ugly game with special teams and a few key defensive plays. That would have never happened under Rodriguez. We would have been down 17-0 early, and they would have never been able to scratch back from that deficit.

Junior Hemingway deserved that MVP, and his emotion at the end shows how I think all Michigan fans should feel about these kids from this 2012 class. (And, yes, I'm still fecking bitter that so-called "fans" couldn't support this kids the last 3 years. "Fair weather" assholes.)