Big Ten Football 2011

Discussion in 'Football' started by WarrenWallace, Aug 22, 2011.

1. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't care what people say about the Big Ten as compared to other conferences but last nights game as about as exciting as it gets. Great game beginning to end.

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  3. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Oklahoma State doesn't get the nod to play LSU the system is completely corrupt and tilted toward the SEC. OSU-Michigan played a much better game as 1-2 the last game of the freaking year and didn't get the rematch. I absolutely will not watch a 9-6 OT NC game. Horrible.

U of M got off easy if they play K-State in the Sugar. My bet is Alabama when OSU plays for the NC. It would be nice to play in the Sugar against someone NOT from the sec.

Good luck B1G!

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't see how we're getting off..anything. The teams line up the way they line up. If we get Baylor we should be big underdogs, if we get K-State it will be a more even match up. They deserve to be there as much as anyone else.

5. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Embarrassed to admit that I missed most of the B1G title game...was looking for it all over my cable channels until I realized it was on FOX. Looks like Wisky & MSU gave a great account of themselves & the conference...but it still comes down to how well we do in the bowl games.

I want LSU-Oklahoma St. in the NC game...but afraid that OSU will get screwed & 'Bama will get their rematch.

I saw other projections that have Michigan playing K-State in the Fiesta Bowl...if OSU gets the 2nd spot v LSU...which is what I wanted from the beginning. It's a short flight from L.A. but will wait to see the selection show before getting too excited.

6. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can tell you it isn't any fun playing an SEC team in SEC country. I have been in New Orleans the last three times Ohio State has been there. In '99 the A&M fans were great. In '08 and '11 the LSU and Arkansas fans were insufferable. Playing LSU in New Orleans should be considered nothing else than an LSU home game, not a bowl or NC game.

So yes, if you are playing K-State you got off easy not playing an SEC team on their home turf.

7. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't even want to watch it, to be honest. I was all set to watch the ACC and Big 12 games instead.

But, what a game, and what a great ending?! Fittingly, Sparty lost on a PENALTY. Ha. Forever green with envy, they will be.

8. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Playing 'Bama in the Sugar would be very tough.

Playing K-State in the Sugar would be the easiest match-up we could get. Although, K-State would still be a formidable opponent. :)

9. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    B1G Ten Bowl Matchups

Dec. 27 - Little Caesars Bowl - Purdue vs. Western Michigan
    Dec. 30 - Insight Bowl - Iowa vs. Big XII #4
    Dec. 31 - Mineke Car Care Bowl - Northwestern vs. Texas A&M
    Dec 31. - Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl - Illinois vs. UCLA
    Jan. 2 - TicketCity Bowl - Penn State vs. Houston
    Jan. 2 - Gator Bowl - Ohio State vs. Florida
    Jan 2. - Outback Bowl - Michigan State vs. Georgia
    Jan. 2 - CapitalOne Citrus Bowl - Nebraska vs. South Carolina
    Jan. 2 - Rose Bowl - Wisconsin vs. Oregon
    Jan 3. - Sugar Bowl - Michigan vs. Virginia Tech

11. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alabama only beat three (yes, 3) D-1A teams that finished with a winning record this year. That's it. In what universe other than the SECRULZ!!! universe does that earn you a shot at an National Championship?

Alabama's Schedule
    W - Kent State (5-7)
    W - Penn State (9-2)
    W - North Texas (5-7)
    W - Arkansas (10-2)
    W - Florida (6-6)
    W - Vanderbilt (6-6)
    W - Ole Miss (2-10)
    W - Tennessee (5-7)
    L - LSU (12-0) - Loss in OT
    W - Mississippi State (2-10)
    W - Georgia Southern (1AA opponent)
    W - Auburn (7-5)

Oklahoma State Schedule
    W - Louisiana-Lafayette (8-4)
    W - Arizona (4-8)
    W- Tulsa (8-4)
    W - Texas A&M (6-6)
    W - Kansas (2-10)
    W - Texas (7-5)
    W - Missouri (7-5)
    W - Baylor (9-3)
    W - Kansas State (10-2)

W - Texas Tech (5-7)
    L - Iowa State (6-6) - Loss in 2OT
    W - Oklahoma (9-3)

What a complete joke.

12. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Damn, I live in Virginia and I know Tech are no pushovers. Brady better have the boys ready or we're gonna get blown out.

13. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Boston Breakers, Boston Univ. Women's Soccer, Norwich City, Charleston Battery
    Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It comes down to the fact that Bama lost to the best team in the country by three points in overtime, while Ok St lost a game they had no business losing. That puts Bama's body of work above Ok St.

14. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bull.

15. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't just compare teams' schedules by looking at the number of teams with winning records. Who did those teams with winning records play versus the ones with losing records? If you're going to compare schedules, you have to take it a step further. Tennessee, Florida and Miss St had much tougher schedules than Louisiana Lafayette, Tulsa and the Big 12 teams with winning records that Ok St played. And Alabama not just beat, but blew out all of them.

Bama lost to the #1 team in overtime. Ok St had close wins against Texas A&M (who Arkansas beat, to put things in perspective) and Kansas State, not to mention a loss to a 6-6 Iowa State team. Their most impressive performance came against a Sooners team that was missing its two best skill position players at home. Alabama, on the other hand, consistently beat good teams by those kind of margins during the entire season.

The only argument for Ok State is if people simply don't think a rematch should happen under any circumstances. Otherwise, they had a chance and blew it by losing to Iowa State.

16. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really care who OSU played. The Alabama-LSU game was one of the worst football games I have witnessed.

17. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alabama gets their rematch & Michigan never did? F**K the BCS!!

Hope the B1G has a good showing in the bowl games. Happy with Michigan's bowl game...even happier that Sparty is PISSED, lol...& look forward to playing Virginia Tech for the 1st time ever! It should be a great match-up & I know Brady Hoke will have the boys ready!!

Unfortunately, won't be making it to New Orleans...really wanted the Fiesta & think OSU got SCREWED out of the NC game...but will be in Dallas for the 'Bama game in Sept/2012 and, hopefully, the B1G title game or the bowl game in 2013!

18. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rematch WILL be a different game. In the regular season, both teams were playing not to lose. In the championship game, both teams will play to win.

That said, I would much rather watch 9-6 again than the 42-24 scoreline you'd probably get with LSU vs Oklahoma State. Almost every national title game over the past five to seven years has had that kind of final score. At least with LSU vs Bama, it will be a close game.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alabama played a bunch of chumps this year. That's why they had only one loss. The SEC, outside of LSU and Bama, was mediocre. Oh, Bama beat Arkansas in Tuscaloosa? Who else?

Kent State in Tuscaloosa
    Penn State in State College
    North Texas in Tuscaloosa
    Arkansas in Tuscaloosa
    Florida in Gainesville
    Vanderbilt in Tuscaloosa
    Ole Miss in Oxford
    Tennessee in Tuscaloosa
    Mississippi State in Starkville
    Georgia Southern in Tuscaloosa
    Auburn in Auburn

Notice how many times "in Tuscaloosa" appears up there? A lot. Notice how many times "Georgia" and "South Carolina" appear up there? None. (OK, smartasses. "Georgia" appears once.) Hell, I've got a degree from South Carolina and I can tell you that there's a reason why USC's current run at or near the top of the SEC East is occurring at this juncture, and it's not just because the Ol' Ball Coach is coachin' 'em up. It's because Florida stinks, Tennessee stinks, and Georgia is mediocre.

The fact of the matter is that Bama didn't play anybody in the SEC this year, outside of the LSU game which they lost at home, and when they went on the road, they had the murderer's row of Florida (6-6), Ole Miss (2-10), Mississippi State (2-10), and Auburn (7-5).

At home.

So did Texas... in College Station, so I wouldn't exactly call beating A&M a feather in anyone's cap. But I love how all the SEC fans are talking down A&M all of a sudden. If I were aggy, it would make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

#8 in the nation.

In Ames, 24 hours after a plane crash which killed OSU basketball coaches.

No, their most impressive performance was beating four BCS-ranked teams this year and winning an extremely tough Big XII.

Really. Did they play a secret schedule? Because all the ones I just listed were a bunch of tomato cans.

Just because LSU played a tough schedule -- and they did -- doesn't mean Bama gets to gravytrain them just by being in the same conference.

Wrong.

The only argument for Oklahoma State is that inconvenient fact is that Oklahoma State played a tougher schedule than Alabama, beat more good teams than Alabama, beat more ranked teams than Alabama, and won a conference that was top-to-bottom tougher than the SEC this season -- despite the relative ineptitude of the SEC's newest members.

20. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Just another year showing how truly flawed this whole system is. It stinks to high Heaven. I'm a diehard Wolverine fan and I'll be the first to tell you that neither team belongs in the Sugar Bowl. The only reason we're both there is because both sets of fans travel well and we'll fill every hotel room in New Orleans. The BCS is a farce plain and simple.

21. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God damn you, AMbreaker. God damn you to hell for making me agree with and rep that shitstain-orange loving bastard.

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My work here is done.

23. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    LOL Comedy gold :D

24. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Va Tech got in because they lost to the same Clemson team twice, once in a conference championship game, whereas K-State lost to two different teams in the regular season. Boise played a weak schedule and lost a game! Tell me who you would have put in over VT. I think Arkansas deserved it, but there is a rule about how many teams from the same conference can participate and I guess they didn't want to make an exception.

Michigan State has an argument for being there over Michigan because they won head to head and had the same record if not for the conference championship game.

25. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well, if Oklahoma State goes to the Championship game like they should have the whole field get rearranged. Maybe VT belongs, maybe they don't. All I know is that the BCS system sucks big donkey balls.