Big Ten 2012

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by bmoline, Aug 2, 2012.

1. BWMTDP

BWMTDP Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Gofer, IU thanks you for pushing them to try harder. And by the way, loved their uniforms :laugh:

2. SoccerRover

SoccerRover New Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wisconsin & Nebraska are now the pivotal teams for those hoping to make it to the tournament. Both play two other teams also hoping to make it. The results of those four games will probably decide it.

3. bigsoccerdad

bigsoccerdad Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nebraska's defense is rugged, so why Walker needs his goalie off the line will continue to be questioned. It isn't easy to see that wide open box that any midfielder could take advantage of when it isn't being covered by a defender. Indiana's rebound is interesting to watch, but their showdown with Wisconsin may be one of the more important games of the conference season on Sunday. Wisconsin is getting something out of their offense, but turnovers plagued them. Really two original underdogs matched on Sunday. Iowa looks like they have just been caught with short end of stick with so many close/tied/OT games. Interesting season end this year. Michigan might be resting on their success, but who doesn't like their serious navy uniforms except that new Addidas fabric in between legs for all those teams who have them this year. Who agreed to this in the design lab? OSU grey unis? But they beat Michigan, .....

4. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    PSU 1 UM 1. PSU 31-9 in shots. PSU 13-6 in SOGs. PSU 12-3 in corners, but only 1 goal.

5. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    GREAT result for the Wolverines!

6. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    I didn't get to watch a second of soccer this weekend, but sounds like it was interesting.

Looks like Minnesota outshot Indiana on Friday night but couldn't put anything away. Their first multiple goal loss of the year, but the Hoosiers have been playing well lately.

Gophers rebounded today by throttling Purdue 5-1. Uhl had a hat trick and Katie Thyken scored the other 2.

7. bigsoccerdad

bigsoccerdad Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    From what I can see, the results are in: (Even if Iowa wins over Wisconsin, and is in tie break with points vs. Indiana, isn't "games won" the typical tie breaker...if so, then my list is right...someone pipe in.) But looks like Indiana has their spot? Right?

Points Team Record Left to Play
    IN TOURNAMENT
    28 - Penn State 9-0-1 Purdue
    23 - Michigan 7-1-2 Illinois
    22 - Ohio State 7-2-1 Indiana
    16 - Minnesota 5-4-1 Nebraska
    16 - Wisconsin 5-4-1 Iowa
    16 - Illinois 5-4-1 Michigan
    12 - Nebraska 4-6-0 Minnesota
    12 - Indiana 4-6-0 OSU
    OUT OF TOURNAMENT
    9 - Iowa 2-5-3 Wisconsin
    7 - Michigan State 2-7-1 Northwestern
    7 - Purdue 2-7-1 Penn State
    6 - Northwestern 2-8-0 MSU

8. SoccerRover

SoccerRover New Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of us interested at the bottom half of the table :) two out of Nebraska, Indiana and Iowa will get the last two spots. They host Minn, OSU & Wisc respectively; what are the odds on that (3 home games for the last qualifiers) as a scheduling coincidence? Wow. Iowa is in a must win situation because they are 3 points behind the other two. But the two "Big Red" schools can control their own fate by earning just a point. I am sure drama will ensue; what a great sport this is.

9. bigsoccerdad

bigsoccerdad Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    SoccerRover...I think the tie break will go to Indiana and Nebraska, so Iowa can't qualify. Yes, they could be tied for points, but then the tie break will be games won...but someone confirm this..

10. bigsoccerdad

bigsoccerdad Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Northwestern pulled out a nice win and Illinois got back on the charts. Indiana held a 1-0 lead all the way thru, until Wisconsin scored two goals in the final one or two minutes.

11. BWMTDP

BWMTDP Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Maybe bmoline or GopherBob would have knowledge of the big ten tie breaker. I would have thought it would be head to head results which would determine standings position. In that case, Iowa could still sneak in with a victory and no result from IU or Nebraska.

12. SoccerRover

SoccerRover New Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tournament information (but not yet including details of qualification for the #8 spot) are at http://www.iuhoosiers.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/2012-bigten-championships.html

Based on the table above with one game to go here's the matchups:
    #1 PSU v #8 (NB, IU or Iowa)
    #2 Mich or OSU v #7 (NB, IU or Iowa)
    #3 Mich or OSU v #6 (MN, Wisc or IL)
    #4 v 5 (two out of MN, Wisc or IL)
    SCHEDULE
    Wednesday, October 31
    Game 1, 10:30 a.m. #1 seed vs. #8 seed Gametracker| Watch| Box Score| Box Score[​IMG] Game 2, 1:30 p.m. #4 seed vs. #5 seed Gametracker| Watch| Box Score| Box Score[​IMG] Game 3, 4:30 p.m. #2 seed vs. #7 seed Gametracker| Watch| Box Score| Box Score[​IMG] Game 4, 7:30 p.m. #3 seed vs. #6 seed Gametracker| Watch| Box Score| Box Score[​IMG] Friday, November 2 Game 5, 10:00 a.m. 1/8 Winner vs. 4/5 winner Gametracker| Watch| Box Score| Box Score[​IMG] Game 6, 12:30 p.m. 2/7 winner vs. 3/6 winner Gametracker| Watch| Box Score| Box Score[​IMG] Sunday, November 4 Game 7, 12:00 p.m. Game 5 winner vs. Game 6 winner

13. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember last season having all sorts of questions about tiebreakers for the last spot. We never found any information online, but I found out answers to the specific issues via the Purdue folks. There was a possibility of a three-way tie for the 7th spot last season (with Northwestern getting the 8th spot as host) among Ohio State, Purdue and Michigan. It ended up not mattering, as Ohio State won its final game to claim the #7 seed.

That was a slightly different scenario though, as all three teams would have had the exact same record, not just the same point totals. In last year's case, if three teams would have been tied, the team with the worst B1G goal differential would have been eliminated, with head-to-head play determining the winner between the final two teams. In many cases, the number of wins is the first tiebreaker in a tie for points, but I'm not sure if that is what happens with the Big Ten tournament. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but information on this is very hard to find from the conference. I'll try to find out more from the Illinois folks this week.

14. thesoccerphantom

Nov 4, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Exciting game to watch. Hayes missed 2 by inches. Ryan packed the box in the final 30 and let PSU have a field day shooting. UM defense held tough. The PK should have been a non call in the scrum. Should be an exciting tournament. We will be ring side.

15. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    From what I'm gathering by reading various student newspapers, head to head is the #1 tiebreaker if points are tied.

The Daily Iowan says that if Iowa wins and IU loses, the Hawkeyes are in. The Minnesota Daily says that if Minnesota beats Nebraska, they're a lock for the 4 seed.

16. Stephanie Foster

Stephanie Foster New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Head to head is the first tiebreaker. It's great that the coaches were able to convince the conference to eliminate the automatic bid for the host. It was a humbling experience last year for NU but there was no choice. The coaches have always wanted NO automatic bid, FYI. Also, NU was the only school that had never hosted a BTT until last year.

bmoline repped this.
  17. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the clarification, Stephanie.

18. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Minnesota beat Nebraska 4-2.

The Gophers took an early 2-0 lead before Nebraska came storming back late behind two goals from Mayme Conroy. After Nebraska tied the match in the 85th minute, Minnesota put it into another gear with 4 great scoring chances in the final 5 minutes, finishing on two of them.

Minnesota goals by Strahota, Thyken, Bauer and Phillips.

It was nice to see goals off of set pieces and players other than Uhl finishing their chances. Nebraska focused on taking her out of the offense, so it was great to see others utilize the extra space.

20. midwestfan

midwestfan Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Ohio State up 2-0 in the first 4 minutes on IU. Ohio score two more within 30 seconds of eachother at the 38 min. mark. Up 4-0 at halftime.

21. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    I think that OSU may be playing the best soccer at this time going into the tournament.

22. midwestfan

midwestfan Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Yep. Ohio wins 5-0 against IU and with Nebraska loosing leaves the door open for Iowa tomorrow. And Purdue blew an engine late in the seaon and got beaten 5-1 tonight, and still have to face Penn State. Probably loosing 6 in a row to close out the season. hmmmm.

23. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Purdue looked pretty competitive when Illinois played them in September. I remember someone mentioning that they were dealing with injuries, to Stuart and Frick, I believe. But they're both attacking players, so that doesn't explain the defensive meltdown they've had down the stretch. Iowa has Wisconsin at home tomorrow. Hawkeyes are winless in their last five, and Badgers playing well as of late, winning four straight.

24. bigsoccerdad

bigsoccerdad Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Points Team Record Left to Play
    28 - Penn State 10-0-1 done
    22 - Ohio State 8-2-1 done
    23 - Michigan 7-1-2 Illinois
    16 - Minnesota 6-4-1 done
    16 - Wisconsin 5-4-1 Iowa
    16 - Illinois 5-4-1 Michigan