Big Ten 2012

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by bmoline, Aug 2, 2012.

1. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    PSU 2-1 over Iowa. Schram with both goals. From about 65 minutes on PSU did not get another shot. Iowas 23-15 in shots 6-5 in SOG. Iowa with several yellow cards including one team yellow.

2. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Minnesota 1 Northwestern 0

Gopher offense looked flat all day. Taylor Uhl got the Gophers on the board in the 77th minute as she took an Allie Phillips pass, held off two defenders and placed a low shot past the keeper.

Parkhill and the defense played solid in registering their third straight shutout.

3. SoccerRover

SoccerRover New Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IU 2-1 winners at Mich St in 2OT. Winning goal a header from Abby Smith from a Candler feed. For the most part road wins are rare in the Big10, but this is IU's first against anyone other than NWU for almost two years and only their third road win in almost four years. Three home games to finish the season so look out! Hello, team of the week?

4. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    UW 2 - Illinois 1 in 2 OTs. If UW finishes 8th to get into the tournament and PSU finishes 1st, I dread the matchup.

5. bigsoccerdad

bigsoccerdad Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Points Team Record Left to Play
    24 - Penn State 8-0-0 MSU-Michigan-Purdue
    22 - Michigan 7-0-1 OSU-Penn State-Illinois
    16 - Ohio State 5-2-1 Michigan-MSU-Indiana
    13 - Minnesota 4-3-1 Indiana-Purdue-Nebraska
    13 - Illinois 4-3-1 Northwestern-Nebraska-Michigan
    10 - Wisconsin 3-4-1 Purdue-Indiana-Iowa
    9 - Nebraska 3-5-0 Iowa-Illinois-Minnesota
    9 - Indiana 3-5-0 Minnesota-Wisconsin-OSU
    9 - Iowa 2-3-3 Nebraska-Northwestern-Wisconsin
    7 - Michigan State 2-5-1 Penn State-OSU-Northwestern
    7 - Purdue 2-5-1 Wisconsin-Minnesota-Penn State
    0 - Northwestern 0-8-0 Illinois-Iowa-MSU

6. bigsoccerdad

bigsoccerdad Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As I like to support the Illinois teams, it pains me to say that Northwestern and Illini were not looking good this weekend. Wisconsin looks like they had lineup change but seems light in their midfield relying more on their outside backs. Forward Walls had three goals. Their match up against Purdue and Indiana are important. Illini needs to be careful and get reorganized.

7. Warzycha

Warzycha Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Ohio State scored 8 goals on the road this weekend and from all accounts, were unlucky not add several more! Looks like they have plenty going on in their offense!

8. bigsoccerdad

bigsoccerdad Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah..agree...maybe I meant Illinois. But if anything, teams are adjusting for things that weren't working. Indiana popping up is example. Injuiries this time of year also make a difference in line-ups and sometimes a new field can be better, to the surprise of coaches. Makes a team work a little harder. There always talent sitting on the bench that didn't get into the mix in early season but now working out.

9. midwestfan

midwestfan Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Any word on Hadley Stuart from Purdue. Having seen her play as a youth thought she was a bit of a bull in a china shop although very effective. The style has suited her well in the Big 10. She was at 4 G and 7 A for the season but has only played the first 9 minutes the last two games. An injury maybe? I know she has had injuries in previous seasons which has put a damper on her career. a shame if so because she is having a great season. I was looking forward to watching her play IU and she didn't get playing time.

10. SoccerRover

SoccerRover New Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes its an injury, Stuart was starting and getting plenty of playing time up to the IU game. But as you say, she did not start or play there, so presumably the injury was in the leadup sometime last week. From the Purdue website report on their game Sunday: "Jordan Frick suffered an ankle injury in pregame warm-ups and was unable to start for the first time this season, ending her team-long streak of 39 consecutive games started dating back to the end of the 2010 campaign. Hadley Stuart replaced Frick in the starting lineup after being cleared to play during warm-ups. But a quadriceps injury continued to limit Stuart; she left the game in the 10th minute and did not return."

11. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SoccerRover repped this.
  12. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
  13. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    I have a love/hate relationship with Big Ten Network Student U.

The Iowa students calling the Nebraska/Iowa game first "didn't get" why Kansas City is in Missouri and Kansas. Then the guy said that it's one city with one government.

Oh, Iowa and your 84% acceptance rate...

14. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Nebraska beat Iowa 2-1 in overtime.

I only watched the last 30 minutes and OT, so I missed the two regulation goals. I guess Nebraska scored off a corner and Iowa equalized with a pk a minute later.

Iowa was dominating what I watched until the last ten minute of regulation when Nebraska was suddenly the aggressor. The Huskers had a few great chances and finally won the game in the 99th minute. Mayme Conroy fed a wide open Caroline Gray in the middle of the field, she dribbled a bit and sent in a high arcing shot from 35 yards out. Iowa GK Clark got a hand on the ball but couldn't keep it out. I'm sure the wind/rain played a part.

Tough loss from Iowa. Anybody still see them making the NCAAs without a big run to finish the year?

p.s. to anybody watching or calling a Nebraska game while John Walker is coach: They've played their keeper WAY out of the box at times since the mid '90s. It's nothing new, it's their system. Not that I'd expect anybody at BTN to be Husker Soccer experts, but they always seem so shocked to see it.

15. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds kind of like the game I called tonight. Illinois led 1-0 on a DiBernardo penalty kick in the 17th minute. They had more possession, shots, etc. for most of the night. Northwestern kept fighting though, and got the equalizer with about 8 minutes left in regulation. Waddle came off the bench and almost immediately scored. Panozzo tried to come off her line to grab a low cross, but couldn't grab it cleanly. Waddle was there to put it way. Then, the referee called a handball in the box against the Illini with four seconds left in regulation. Hard to see anything from my vantage point other than the ball suddenly changing direction...not much of an argument from the Illinois side. Kate Allen put home the PK, and Northwestern picks up their first Big Ten win 2-1.

Illini have lost three straight, and need to win their last two to ensure a spot in the Big Ten tournament (Nebraska, at Michigan). They're back to .500 in the conference and overall, so if they don't win their last two, it would take a deep B1G tournament run just to be NCAA tourney eligible. Tough, tough loss. Here's Janet Rayfield after:

http://www.illinihq.com/audio/2012-10-18/janet-rayfield-northwestern-postgame-10-18-12.html

Elsewhere, Ohio State beat Michigan 3-1 to hand the Wolverines their first conference losse.

16. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Four seconds? That's rough.

Northwestern didn't look like a winless team when I saw them play on Sunday. They're certainly lacking the offensive firepower of some of the Big Ten teams but they have some good athletes and play solid defense. I wouldn't be surprised if they steal a W against the reeling Hawkeyes at the lakefront on Sunday.

17. bigsoccerdad

bigsoccerdad Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    After tonites games...it is a tight race for spots 4-8.

22 - Michigan 7-1-1 Penn State-Illinois
    19 - Ohio State 6-2-1 MSU-Indiana
    13 - Illinois 4-4-1 Nebraska-Michigan
    12 - Nebraska 4-5-0 Illinois-Minnesota
    10 - Minnesota 3-3-1 Indiana-Purdue-Nebraska
    9 - Iowa 2-4-3 Northwestern-Wisconsin
    7 - Michigan State 2-4-1 Penn State-OSU-Northwestern
    6 - Indiana 2-5-0 Minnesota-Wisconsin-OSU
    3 - Northwestern 1-8-0 Iowa-MSU

18. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Minnesota is 4-3-1.

19. bigsoccerdad

bigsoccerdad Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    corrected...too many versions with all this formatting stuff...thanks. Not much competition at the top, all in the middle. The big games seem to be the Indiana and Purdue vs. Minnesota and Wisconsin games this weekend...stay tuned.

13 - Minnesota 4-3-1 Indiana-Purdue-Nebraska
    7 - Michigan State 2-4-1 Penn State-OSU-Northwestern
    6 - Indiana 2-5-0 Minnesota-Wisconsin-OSU

20. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    What is the Big10 Tournament format? If the current standings were the final standing, who would be playing who?

21. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same as last year, except host doesn't automatically qualify. Quarterfinals Wednesday 10/31, Semifinals Friday 11/2, Final 11/4. Since half the league played last night and the other half plays tonight, number of games played isn't equal at the moment, so you'll get a better read on potential matchups after tonight. But, Penn State is almost certainly going to be the top seed, Michigan and OSU will be fighting for #2 and #3 most likely, after that it's a big scrum.

22. SoccerRover

SoccerRover New Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Indiana is 3-5 from last weekend. Mich St lost to them so they are 2-5-1.

23. SoccerRover

SoccerRover New Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget my last message, make that IU is now 4-5 in the standings after a 2 goal shutout win against MN. An early game winner on the back post from Abby Smith, and net breaker from Ori Valesquez soon after, another clean game by the freshman keeper Stone, some dogged defending in front of her.. IU is on a roll.

Here's one measure of the difference: at the critical moments the IU backline is stepping forward and catching the opponents offside. Previously, the defenders would still be dropping in that moment hoping to somehow prevent a goal. Now they just snuff it out before the shot gets taken

24. bigsoccerdad

bigsoccerdad Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Big Ten Rankings (hope I got this right this time.:rolleyes:) 10/19:
    In for tournament: Penn State, Michigan, OSU
    Out for tournament: Northwestern
    For others, a tie may be a valuable thing after it shakes out Sunday:

27 - Penn State 9-0-0 Michigan-Purdue
    13 - Minnesota 4-4-1 Purdue-Nebraska
    13 - Wisconsin 4-4-1 Indiana-Iowa
    12 - Indiana 4-5-0 Wisconsin-OSU
    7 - Michigan State 2-6-1 OSU-Northwestern
    7 - Purdue 2-6-1 Minnesota-Penn State

25. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Psu 5 MSU 1. Nairn, Hayes, and Weber one each. Mallory Peterson with 2 in second half.