Big Ten 2012

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by bmoline, Aug 2, 2012.

1. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Illinois ahead 1-0 at half. Illinois is the upset factor in this tournament. They have the ability to go the whole distance in the B10 Tournament.

2. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Illinois leads Penn State 1-0 at the half. The goal came off a flip throw from Megan Pawloski. Nicole Breece with the goal.

NilamCA repped this.
  3. NilamCA

NilamCA Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michigan also scored first against Penn State in league play. I think any of the 4 teams have the ability to go all the way. Penn State won't go down without a fight. Time will tell. :thumbsup:

4. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Illinois wins 1-0. They'll play the Michigan-Ohio State winner at noon eastern on Sunday.

5. NilamCA

NilamCA Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Illinois!! Way to defend your title ladies.

6. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Illini were the first team to shut out Penn State all season. PSU had scored 62 goals in 20 games entering play today.

7. NilamCA

NilamCA Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maya Hayes injury? Anyone know what happened?

8. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked like Hayes and Weykamp of Illinois bumped heads on a 50/50 ball with about 6 minutes left. Both players slow to get up, but Weykamp stayed in the game while Hayes went to the sideline for the duration. Hope it's not serious, but you never know with head injuries.

9. bigsoccerdad

bigsoccerdad Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    OSU vs. Mich 2-1, so Illinois vs. OSU in finals. Looked like full court press from OSU with high foul count.

10. bigsoccerdad

bigsoccerdad Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Mallory Weber for Penn State also went out after what looked like both leg (she walked off) injury and taking a ball to the face maybe. This was in second half.

11. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest NCAA breakdown from AWK's Chris Henderson. Illinois moved ahead of Wisconsin in the pecking order. Minnesota out. Penn State and Ohio State in the top 16. Michigan out of seeded territory, but comfortably in the field.

http://www.allwhitekit.com/?p=10848#more-10848

12. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. bigsoccerdad

bigsoccerdad Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    OSU Big Ten Tournament Champions 2-1 vs Illinois

14. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the road most of yesterday to and from Bloomington. First half of yesterday's championship was pretty even, Ohio State with more shots, Illinois with more on goal. Second half looked like Illini started to wear down, then Cameron showed why she is one of the best goal scorers in the conference. Nice finish off a corner kick, then a turn and shoot from the top of the box less than five minutes later. Illini tried to mount a comeback, but came up short. OSU gets the automatic bid, and deservedly so. They were playing the best soccer in the league the last five weeks of the season.

Final adjusted RPI's of Big Ten teams from nc-soccer.com:

3. Penn State
    12. Ohio State
    20. Michigan
    43. Wisconsin
    44. Illinois
    55. Minnesota
    64. Iowa
    74. Northwestern
    96. Indiana
    97. Purdue
    108. Nebraska
    117. Michigan State

Chris Henderson from All White Kit has the Big Ten getting five (Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois). I'm inclined to agree. We'll see what the committee decides tonight.

http://www.allwhitekit.com/?p=10856#more-10856

15. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Wisconsin got in? Minnesota beat them head to head AND finished ahead of them in the conference. Why is common sense trumped by the RPI?

I guess it's on the strength of beating a Notre Dame team missing Roccaro and Laddish.

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Possibly. The NCAA doesn't care who is available to play.

18. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    We do know that the NCAA cares more about RPI than conference finish and head to head.

FYI, I don't think the Gophers deserve to be in the field, but I definitely believe they deserve it over Wisconsin.

Morris20 repped this.
  19. BWMTDP

BWMTDP Member

Aug 29, 2012
    No Bob, common sense says that Minnesota lost the bid because they couldn't beat that lowly IU team which wasn't trying to finish in the top 8. Remember:

And two days later Wisconsin beats IU, despite their cry-baby coach. But you know Bob, it really didn't matter who got one of those last at large bids, Wisconsin or Minnesota, neither is going to beat the higher seed UCLA. As was the case in the big ten tournament, neither IU nor Iowa, Nebraska, Purdue, Northwestern or Michigan St was going to beat the 1 seed Penn St. So why not let the host team play a game. With the exception of Ohio State, Penn St and Michigan, the other nine team were all average at best. So it really doesn't matter who represents the big ten in those lower seeded positions.

20. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Wow, who are you? If you knew how to read you'd understand that when I said "try to finish in the top 8" I didn't mean that IU wasn't putting forth any effort. I was simply stating if they wanted to make the tournament they needed to finish top 8.

Thanks for stalking me for half the season on this message board over your inability to comprehend my point.

21. BWMTDP

BWMTDP Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Bob, your point was to belittle mine about letting the host team play. Read your post. "Should try", "This is Big Ten athletics" were both nice digs. If you would have said "they have to finish" or something similar, it would be fine. Choose your words wisely. You never know when they come back to bite you. Have fun watching Gophers, and remember, "this is NCAA Division I athletics".

22. bigsoccerdad

bigsoccerdad Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Since I perfectly predicted Penn State's record of putting on one tie :whistling:, I'll put my tournament predictions out there. (OK...so I totally missed OSU resurgence and way overestimated Nebraska in the beginning...).

Penn State, OSU and Michigan will all make the final 16. Penn State will get knocked out as will Michigan but OSU will be in the final 8.

Illinois should make it to round of 32, but not beyond. Bernardo's supporting cast has gotten better, but not quite all together, IMHO. Wisconsin is going to have one tough time against UCLA.

23. NilamCA

NilamCA Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penn State v. Michigan in the round of 16. Illinois one and done. OSU two and done.
    I can dream, right? Good luck to all the teams. Safe travels and injury free!

24. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Illinois-Missouri should be an interesting clash of footballing cultures. If Illinois can weather Missouri's high pressure rugged style in the early going I imagine their precision will provide difficulties for Missouri. Missouri tends to get stretched out as they look to attack and are vulnerable to the counter-attack. I think they'll have a hard time picking up the elusive Vanessa D.

25. bigsoccerdad

bigsoccerdad Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC