Rumor: Big Announcement Coming?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by crazyjon85, Nov 28, 2012.

1. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when pablo get's hurt i will tell all of you. i told you so.

2. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost surely O'Neill is "not ready", but pushing him further down the ladder to making the 18 or getting significant minutes is not the way to prepare him to be ready.

22SteveD repped this.
  3. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming he'd be at the same salary? If so, that's a big cap hit for a sub/mentor. Also, if we traded JL, we'd then be down two MFs in a year or so when Pablo retires.

I'm having a hard time getting my head around this one (no pun) because I'd assumed he was retiring and headed into coaching or broadcasting.

4. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with this.

I honestly hope they find a way to move Jeff. We'd be screwed if Thomas went down, but I don't see why we carry 4 defensive mids on this squad.

22SteveD and COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming not. I don't think even the Rapids would be dumb enough to sign Pablo on the same salary coming back from a year-long injury at 36. I think this works if the salary is under $150K or less. If its more than that then I'm less impressed by this decision.

As to a possible JL trade, that's why I said "if the right offer comes along". You have to give to get in this league.

Stuart95 repped this.
  6. todegon

todegon New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe O'Neill isn't that good.

7. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This is just what teams say when they bring players back for non-talent related reasons. The Rapids just jettisoned Casey, traded Kimura last season, put Jamie Smith and Marvell Wynne into the re-entry draft and I'm sure I'm missing something; my gut feeling is this is their half hearted attempt at some consistancy moving forward and definitely a peace offering to a very pissed off fan base (hence the phone call to STH's). I'm personally not a huge fan of the move. I think Pablo has done a lot of good for the club over the years, but its probably time to hang up the cleats and move to the sidelines. Unless of course he signed a league minimum contract; if that's the case it's a sweet move...

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you missed that Wynne removed his name from the re-entry draft...

9. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I would have thought the apocalypse purveyors would have delayed the Pablo announcement until the 21st.

Jasonma repped this.
  10. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Perhaps because our team defense was shit last year?

And only if Thomas went down? I know Pablo has been medically cleared, but is he really more than a 50-50 proposition in terms of reliability? Is O'Neill anything more than potential at this point?

Larentowicz is the only option right now we have at D-mid that we can even somewhat predict/rely on for consistency - Thomas hasn't played enough games against good competition to know if he's the real deal. Trading Larentowicz before we learn whether any of the others can step up and be reliable/consistent would be crazy. It's like saying, "last year, we carried 5 defenders who can play centrally on the roster. I don't know why we should keep Moor."

11. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Great news!

Stuart95 repped this.
  12. BeTheRed

BeTheRed Member

May 16, 2006
    The Denver Post article quoted Pablo as saying "My goal is to be part of the team in whatever capacity I'm needed." Could Pablo be slated to play CB?

13. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yeah, this kinda leaves the door open. Coaching, mentoring, playing D-mid or CB, off the bench, probably not a regular starter. That quote leads me to believe that Pablo, and/or Braveja don't know exactly how he will best fit in for next season. The level of comfort most have with his return is probably directly related to the salary he will be paid.

14. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why on earth sign him, let him go to school to get more games in. Remember there were only 10 reserve games played in 2012.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 "official" games. The reserves played many games against local colleges, lower-league sides, etc.

16. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except none of the central defenders on our bench had any trade value.

17. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Neither do any of the DMs on our bench this year. Given how often we played in a 2-dmid system last year; given how Pareja's first formation choice with our talent last year was the 4-2-3-1; given that even after we acquired Thomas we still played with 2 d-mids; and, lastly, given the Rapids indicated they expect Pablo to be tutoring O'Neill rather than starting, I'm not convinced Larentowicz is going to the bench next year.

18. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pablo wont be at the same salary

19. WJMarx

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whereas I was mystified by the Mastroeni signing, I now understand it fully. Hinchey said to Bravo, "The horse is gone." Whereby Bravo responded, "Quick, shut the gate."

This is a lose/lose/lose signing. IMO, Mastroeni no longer makes the team better. IMO, O'Neill's grooming is delayed! IMO, Pareja's confidence is at low ebb, he may be pandering to the fans & he is grasping at straws!

22SteveD repped this.
  20. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which are nothing more then scrimmages, I went to one and if thought reffing was bad in league games you should of see the wrestling matches in the free kicks during these things. The game saw little team play but a collection of individual hero attempts. Other then getting on field with a ball outside of a drill, I would find it hard to believe anything helped these guys for MLS games.

The point is, in my opinion, Rapids would of never signed O'Neil if they didn't think he would be ready to play MLS matches shortly.

COMtnGuy and Totoro repped this.
  21. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jason, any idea what salary cap the Rapids have to play with this off season?

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the options not picked up/players cut and the 5% increase by eyeballing last year's salaries puts it at about 1.85 million of free space minus whatever we re-signed Pablo and Thomas for. This free space includes dropping all of Freeman's, Smith's, and Wynne's salaries, so re-signing them will take some of that money.

Stuart95 repped this.
  23. WJMarx

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

IMO, Rapids should save a little money and a lot of anguish by buying Smith an economy class (matching his service to the team) one-way ticket home!

24. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has a green card so he can stay here... which I think he might want to do.

25. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a nice chunk of change. Do we owe anything on Rivero's transfer?