Rumor: Big Announcement Coming?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by crazyjon85, Nov 28, 2012.

1. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to respond to your post in the Pablo thread.

2. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This throws a wrench into, well... everything.

3. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Not if he's coming off the bench like they say.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. Thomas and Ginger to start, Pablo off the bench as a sub/fill-in starter when necessary. Pablo gives team leadership and mentors O'Neill. If the right option comes along it gives us the freedom to trade Larentowicz (or Thomas) but we don't have so much tied up that one of them needs to move.

wormhole repped this.
  5. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This actually adds a lot of flexibility from a defensive standpoint. Pablo can play CB, if needed. Great mentor, especially for O'Neill - who is already looking pretty strong. Could put the Rapids in a position to trade JL to meet other needs.

Edit - Of course, Jasonma beat me to it (but great minds and all).

Jasonma repped this.
  6. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    With Pablo's missing most of last year, it almost makes me grateful to hear this old Bigsoccer bromide about him again.

Psychosomatic or not, the fact that Pablo has had concussions in the past makes him more likely for recurrence (and recurrence of psychosomatic symptoms, as well). So while I think his leadership on the backline would highly valuable, I worry about him contesting for long-balls on a regular basis (which is more likely as a CB than a DM).

Either way, it's great news he's back, and if he gives nothing else next year, his leadership and the added competition for spots and competitive fire should help this team massively. I just hope we learned our lesson from the Casey experience, and don't expect Pablo to be the team's panacea.

7. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    confirmed... this is what they were alluding to

8. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This all sounds good but lets not forget that Pablo is a class A competitor, and reason I immediately was drawn to liking him.

Do you all really think he will sit by and accept a bench role if JL continues or Thomas have defensive issues?

Mentoring is a joke of a duty in sports, good coaching and playing time are what is needed for him to improve as a player and not we have most likely pushed him out of the 18.

9. Cos_Mos

Cos_Mos Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Broomfield
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sure as sh-t hope not! The whole point is for competition! We don't want any one to be content with a bench roll do we?

RapidStorm repped this.
  10. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will get elbowed in the head and be gone again. lol

11. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that you might be cynical and have doubts about his ability to play again, but why the "lol" at the end?!? There is nothing funny about a statement like that. If you were trying to make a joke, "jk" is what you wanted. If you really think that it would be funny if that were to happen then you need to get your head checked.

Jasonma repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No pun intended I assume?

13. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None at all.

14. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is mastroni the oldest midfielder in the league now that beck's is gone? this makes zero sense just let him go he will get hurt again and be gone again. i dont like pablo never have.

15. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Torsten Frings is the same age.

16. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This

17. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good on ya!

IMO, Mastroeni will not be a significant contributor for the Rapids on the field again. Indeed, his signing, except as a very short term good bye gesture, was wishful thinking. Moreover, if O'Neill is the talented DM for the future, Mastroeni's signing likely delays O'Neill's growth & maturation. Therefore, I believe that this Mastroeni re-signing is a lose/lose proposition. Hopefully, Mastroeni does not suffer any further ill effects due to this ill-conceived event.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mlssoccer.com

19. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or maybe they dont think oneill is ready?

20. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    go away

21. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    instead of following him all over bigsoccer and telling him to "go away" why dont you just put him on ignore?

commercecity and Totoro repped this.
  22. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did.

23. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im just gonna tell him to go away until he does so

24. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it comes to this. If the great benefit of having Pablo is as a mentor, an inspiration... a leader by example, then how f'ing rudderless is this team and how the hell are they gonna move on. How useless are Mullan, Moor, Wynne, Thomas, Cummings, Larentowicz, Castrillon... that they can't lift the team and be a good example to the young guys?

Brian Mullan's got two Supporters Shields, five MLS Cups, and an Open Cup, but we need Pablo to lead the team... There is no future here.

COMtnGuy and RapidStorm repped this.
  25. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Excellent point. I wouldn't go as far as saying "useless", especially with players like Castrillon and Thomas who've been in the organization a year or less; expecting them to be the leader Pablo was...that's not a fair expectation. But it is worrying that none of the guys who were on the team (including Casey) could step up to the plate in Pablo's absence.

Mullan's clearly always been a player who leads by example - if we take last year as evidence, it seems most of the players on this team didn't want to follow his hardworking-on-both-ends-of-the-pitch example. Which is disconcerting. I don't know what to say about the other players you listed...perhaps Moor can grow into that role, but last year shows he's not naturally born with that gift.

Though I don't necessarily agree about there being no future, as Pablo could easily lead the team from the sidelines if that's what it takes. I think he's as much a vocal leader as a leader by example with this team.