Rumor: Big Announcement Coming?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by crazyjon85, Nov 28, 2012.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that's traditionally announced via press conference so the player can get his day in the sun.

2. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That's what I was thinking (re: possible Serna signing). Probably not "big" news since if he is worthy, fans would expect it. My guess is partnership or sponsorship, with guarded hope for a big signing at forward or perhaps Ike Opara at CB.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't be Ike Opara as we'd have to first acquire his rights through the Re-entry Draft.

I'm 99% certain this is going to be an off-the-field business type announcement, but not a jersey sponsor. A player signing would be held with a press conference to introduce that player, not announced in a magazine. Same with a jersey sponsor.

Now that could mean another "season sponsor" like Westerra or a friendly announcement (but as noted, not a WCQ announcement).

Soaker888 repped this.
  4. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats one i hadnt thought of... might be a good guess

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one on-field announcement I could see is the re-signing of an existing player (Pablo, Smith, etc.). That usually doesn't include a press conference to introduce the player since he's already a member of the team.

6. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
  7. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems obvious to me that the announcement will be the triumphant return of the frisbee dogs to our half time entertainment.

...I miss the frisbee dogs.

8. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have I told you guys how incredibly happy I am that the Rapids don't have cheerleaders? FCD had/has them, and I always thought it was completely embarrassing. I would just turn and talk to my wife during the "show". The home game against SJ this year had a special thing with the Rapids academy players and a bunch of kids with Down Syndrome. They were just out on the fields kicking balls around and doing some drills. Now THAT was awesome. I've never seen people, both the academy kids and the kids with DS, having so much fun playing soccer.

MrPerfectNot and Jasonma repped this.
  9. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'd love it to be the announcement that Rapidman is back.

MrPerfectNot and Jasonma repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best answer

</end thread>

11. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not "the" or any "big" announcement yet but Bianchi has posted a new Rapids article today on Mile Hi Sports from his Hinchey interview.

In a nut shell: Attendance was up marginally in a crap season and the org's eyes are firmly on the coveted 18-34 Soccer Loon Male demo and financial losses were less severe than the past year. And also everyone knows their job today and selling out is a great thing.

12. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think everything we have come up with traditional is done via press conference. Any chance they will set one up same day as this "article" release?

I am going with announcement Pablo is re-signed as "player coach", idea is he plays some of opener and coach for rest of season.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're going to have to do some significant work on the...difficulties...those soccer loons ran into last season before I believe that this is their focus.

14. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it got a hell of a lot better toward the end of the season

15. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking same thing then found this in article

“What we know, at the league level, and an area where we have to improve on, is that the 18-34 year old male is the fastest-growing season ticket buyer in our country,” Hinchey said, while referencing that 18-34 year old males make up a large component of the team’s supporters groups. “We need to work with (supporters groups), and I think we’ve had a history that’s up and down, but I think this year we really found some common ground.”

Also mentions that marketing budget was increased last season, does anyone here agree there was more promotions/ marketing?

16. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I dunno. If it was properly targeted at 18-34 yr old males, I guess it should miss me.

I have noticed how much more I've heard about the Cutthroats than the Rapids, from TV ads to radio ads to promotions for tickets on radio stations. Of course, maybe the Cutthroats will go belly up soon from overspending. And I would hope after 17 seasons the Rapids know whether such advertising works or not.

22SteveD repped this.
  17. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd pay to see either of those

18. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of soccer loons, Garber was interview by Wahl again. Essentially, Garber still wants to have neutered supporters groups. Page 3, search for YSA to get to the general area of the comments. To quote:
    Soooo... Yay supporters! You're our most important fans, so important we put you in our TV commercials and sell your images to Adidas! As long as you behave yourselves.

And that crap about "other sports" drives me nuts. For coming from the NFL, it strikes me that he never sat in the stands, or went to a major NCAA football game.

19. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    As someone mentioned in a N&A thread, Garber's probably referring to the organized profanity.

20. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And that happens too, at least in NCAA football. I remember being at Baylor home games and usually being outnumbered by A&M fans. They had a particular chant that went either "We're gonna beat the he&* outta you!" or "We're gonna beat the S*&^ outta you." Shoot, their kids were probably chanting it with them.

21. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    "Heck" and "Snot"?. That's not so bad...o_O

22. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hell isnt bad... kc chiefs was "were gonna beat the shit out of you you you you you"

23. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, I just don't want to incur the wraith of the Mods for language :). I'm already on warning.

24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I will never support the idiotic "YSA" on goal kicks.

Stuart95 repped this.
  25. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Seriously? For what?